Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

Glad to hear that people seem to have got out OK. Looks a pretty bad fire from the pictures in that article. Some pictures from the MEN.

0_JSR_MEN_151119firebolton_01jfif.jpg

You can see the cladding in this picture, but it doesn't seem to have affected the entire facade. It will be interesting to know if the cladding was dubious - although the building is only six stories, so might not have fallen into the checking regime for high-rise blocks (not sure what the cut off point was). Like like it has burnt right through the external wall by the roofline though.

1_JSR_MEN_151119firebolton_02jfif.jpg

Looks like a different building to me
Bolton News is referring to it as such so I don't know why the picture doesn't match. Maybe it was a file photo they used, and it has been reclad since.

Maybe it was a photo of one side of the block - this from an article this evening shows the same building with fire engines outside.

10680928.jpg

eta - better image here - the picture on the local paper story is the building on the main road, but it is the building behind that is on fire. Guess both buildings are part of the same complex.

_109711253_1c8c96db-2c1c-4c90-8278-b8269998a4cc.jpg

Last edited:
[edited-wrong building shown]. UK lessor of land (?)/owner of building (?) is Valeo USL Ltd. Parent is the Valeo Groupe Europe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191116-105820.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116-105820.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Would you agree with the person below teuchter or will being contrary be your default position?

I think I've made it fairly clear in previous posts that there's a massive failure of building regs and how they are enforced, and that's been overseen by several governments including the current one, and like I said in post 4573 a page or two back, the current government particularly failed to take action following the Lakanal fire.

We'll have to wait to find out the cause of this fire, but it looks to me like another cladding fire, which is why I posted it on this thread last night, and the owner/landlord obviously needs to be held to account. I'll of course be interested to find out the technical details of what the cladding was here and how it compares to the Grenfell system, because maybe it isn't the same and demonstrates that the problem is even more widespread than previously assumed.

Bolton News is referring to it as such so I don't know why the picture doesn't match. Maybe it was a file photo they used, and it has been reclad since.

Maybe it was a photo of one side of the block - this from an article this evening shows the same building with fire engines outside.

10680928.jpg

eta - better image here - the picture on the local paper story is the building on the main road, but it is the building behind that is on fire. Guess both buildings are part of the same complex.

_109711253_1c8c96db-2c1c-4c90-8278-b8269998a4cc.jpg

Yes, worked that out from Google streetview, there are two blocks, it looks to me like one is a renovated old block and the other (the one where the fire took place) is a new-build.

I think I've made it fairly clear in previous posts that there's a massive failure of building regs and how they are enforced, and that's been overseen by several governments including the current one, and like I said in post 4573 a page or two back, the current government particularly failed to take action following the Lakanal fire.

We'll have to wait to find out the cause of this fire, but it looks to me like another cladding fire, which is why I posted it on this thread last night, and the owner/landlord obviously needs to be held to account. I'll of course be interested to find out the technical details of what the cladding was here and how it compares to the Grenfell system, because maybe it isn't the same and demonstrates that the problem is even more widespread than previously assumed.
:)

Back
Top Bottom