Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2011

It'll vary from punter to punter, I guess.

But the influence is creeping, and I don't think benign.

I mean, the post-match chats on the sofa . . . really

How terrible that two black headline acts in the last umpteen years have interfered with Glasto's diet of tedious white dad rock.

Are u seriously suggesting im racist?

I don't care what colour they are - they're just not very good. Paying £200 to watch perfomers who wouldn't be outta place on the fucking x-factor? Nope. Not for me.

Arcadia was absolutely amazing. I was down there till the bitter end this morning dancing to d'n'b at the base of the spider. I think I might have spotted Paolo999 snapping all the crew dancing on the spider at the end.

Not me. I was in our bar by then. Wish i'd known - I'd have gone out and danced on it myself. :D

I'm now parked up next to the spider. That'll be an odd sight when I'm doing the bacon in the morning. :)

Things like Arcadia are why Glastonbury is compelling in spite of it being hard work. There is nowhere else you can see this stuff. Nowhere. Gonna miss it in 2012.

madamv... I wanted to see the Low Anthem, but didn't get round to it. I presume they played Charlie Darwin? I'd have been in teary bits for that.

Are u seriously suggesting im racist?

I don't care what colour they are - they're just not very good. Paying £200 to watch perfomers who wouldn't be outta place on the fucking x-factor? Nope. Not for me.

I don't know whether you are racist or not. It just seems odd that the two acts you choose to denigrate just happen to be two of the only black acts to headline Glastonbury in the last 20 odd years. And Beyonce is the only woman to headline in 20+. Surely when you go to a festival you have to take the rough with the smooth - if you don't like someone on one stage, there's another act to go to at the same time. If you only want to listen to your own personal taste in music, why don't you just stay at home and listen to your iPod?

I don't know whether you are racist or not. It just seems odd that the two acts you choose to denigrate just happen to be two of the only black acts to headline Glastonbury in the last 20 odd years. And Beyonce is the only woman to headline in 20+. Surely when you go to a festival you have to take the rough with the smooth - if you don't like someone on one stage, there's another act to go to at the same time. If you only want to listen to your own personal taste in music, why don't you just stay at home and listen to your iPod?

Um.. Ok, i guess Stevie Wonder's not black enough and Kylie Minogue not woman enough to qualify in your estimation.

IMO, Jay-z and Beyonce are shit, yes. Beyonce's set was almost completely pre-recorded. As was Jay-Z. That is shit.

No, because you're a sad fucker who seems to think Glastonbury should be catered specifically to your tastes. As I say, if you don't like Beyonce and Jay-Z go and watch something else on a different stage. Both acts had superb reviews and the crowd loved them which is kind of the point of having them, isn't it? Perhaps you should drop Emily Eavis a line and offer to personally vet all future headline acts for their musical authenticity and indie cred. Crikey, I bet that Beyonce woman has never sank a pint of snakebite in her life!

just happen to be two of the only black acts to headline Glastonbury in the last 20 odd years.
fucking muppet.

glastonbury-lineup.JPG

:facepalm:

No, because you're a sad fucker who seems to think Glastonbury should be catered specifically to your tastes. As I say, if you don't like Beyonce and Jay-Z go and watch something else on a different stage. Both acts had superb reviews and the crowd loved them which is kind of the point of having them, isn't it? Perhaps you should drop Emily Eavis a line and offer to personally vet all future headline acts for their musical authenticity and indie cred. Crikey, I bet that Beyonce woman has never sank a pint of snakebite in her life!

Beyonce was given a rave review by the Guardian. Who are the fucking sponsors.

I went to see Jay-Z to make a point about the festival being about different bands etc... he was shit and i left along with 1,000's of others.

I said 'two of the only black acts to headline Glastonbury'. I never said they were the only black acts or that other black acts hadn't played the pyramid stage. So :facepalm: right back at you, you illiterate bellend.
You are conflating disliking musicians with disliking a race and ignoring a couple of other black headliners to make your piss weak point.

Riding racism for petty point scoring on the internet. I.e. you are slime.

Beyonce's set was almost completely pre-recorded. As was Jay-Z. That is shit.
No it wasn't. Her band are incredible musicians:

She might be soul's foremost diva, but Beyoncé would be far less impressive without her hand-picked, all-female live band. The singer auditioned thousands of female session musicians to make up her slick, 10-piece group, which first accompanied her on the 2007 Beyoncé Experience tour.

Between concerts the band members, who perform under the name Suga Mama, teach improvised jazz classes to music students and work on solo projects.

Most of Suga Mama are classically trained to the highest level, such as drummer Nikki Glaspie, who enrolled at Boston's prestigious Berklee College of Music. Bassist Divinity Roxx is a graduate of the equally influential, if less academically renowned, Bootsy Collins' Funk University.

They are kept in line by Bibi McGill, guitarist, musical director and yoga teacher. Her job, she says, is to "tell everyone what time they have to be there, being responsible to give the cue for the stage to rise, being responsible if Beyoncé wants to change something in the middle of the show, talking in my mic to everyone who has in-ears [earpieces] and making it look seamless".

In addition to Sugar Mama, Beyoncé employs three regular backing vocalists, Montina Cooper, Crystal Collins and Tiffany Moníque Riddick. Cooper, like most backing singers, hankered after the spotlight herself. After signing as a solo artist, she fell into a career singing with Kelly Rowland, Beyonce's former bandmate from Destiny's Child, and Jamie Foxx, before joining Beyoncé's live band.

The Mamas are fiercely loyal to their bandleader. Roxx says: "Beyoncé is a hard worker and she inspired me to work hard and push myself beyond what I thought I was capable of doing. I will forever be indebted to her for that."

However, not everything heard on stage is the live work of the singer and her band. McGill admits that there is a programmer backstage who triggers pre-recorded sounds from Beyoncé's recorded hits, which not even a 10-piece group can reproduce.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...n-that-all-women-can-be-proud-of-2303668.html

You are conflating disliking musicians with disliking a race and ignoring a couple of other black headliners to make your piss weak point.

Riding racism for petty point scoring on the internet. I.e. you are slime.

If someone is singling out two of only three black headlining acts to have appeared at Glastonbury in years and years for abuse then I have every right to call them on it. If you don't like it, tough titty.

If someone is singling out two of only three black headlining acts to have appeared at Glastonbury in years and years f
laughing at you now. So now its 'years and years' not 20 years

just happen to be two of the only black acts to headline Glastonbury in the last 20 odd years.
So you think its only 3?

Get yourself googling and try again.:D

Not in any particular order but saw and enjoyed ,

Big Audio Dynamite , for old times sake
The Go Team , most energetic performance I saw , excellent
Primal Scream , because I had n`t seen the Screamadelica tour (and they are not U2 )
Alloe Blacc , Old School Soul done with feeling
The Popes , by accident but they were ace.
Mama Rosin , almost bought a tear to my eyes , its just a shame more people didnt see them.
Laura Marling , right place right time right mood .

shitloads of others who just didnt impress or that I have forgotten already .

Oh and Arcadia , without Arcadia Glastonbury would be just another festival , its what sets it apart.

Back
Top Bottom