Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2005

nah I didn't lose stuff from the lock up last year, but surely, as everyone says "don't take things you don't want to lose"

so then why should I *have* to take ID I wouldn't otherwise take?

i have a photo card driving license, have done since my other got stolen

but they charge if you lose it, get it stolen so I'll be WELL fucked off if it happens

and the cost this year, £129 per ticket plus £4 packaging :eek: thats £262 for us as with every other couple

ffs

I really hope you both rethink and come. It's expensive true, but it's STILL worth it despite all the hurdles. I agree with you largely about the ID shite, see other thread.

Anyway - seen this newish bbc story.
This year, fans will be issued with personalised photo ID cards for the first time, in an attempt to beat touts.
...issued by whom?

edit: ahh... issued by the people what all the fuss over on the general thing are on about - just flicked back to the story

As rumoured, it looks like and genuine musical genius Brian Wilson will be headlining the 2005 Glastonbury Festival, as the Beach Boys legend confirms his place on the line-up.

Rumours had been circulating about Wilson taking one of the top slots at the festival since the star came out of semi-retirement to commence playing live again in 2000 when he toured the classic Beach Boys album ‘Pet Sounds’.

These rumours escalated when Wilson return to the stage again last year to play a world tour performing his near-mythical lost album ‘Smile’ in its entirely.

Now Wilson has announced a second ‘Smile’ world tour, which according to his official website includes an appearance on the Sunday night at the Glastonbury Festival (June 26).

While the event organisers have yet to officially confirm any bands as appearing at the festival, Bloc Party and New Order have similarly ‘confirmed themselves’ as appearing at the three day event which takes place at Worthy Farm, Somerset on 24, 25 and 26 June.

Acts rumoured to appear include Coldplay, Kylie Minogue,
The White Stripes, The Killers, Ian Brown, Franz Ferdinand, The Streets, Snow Patrol, Athlete, Embrace, Razorlight, Kasabian, The Undertones, OutKast, Kaiser Chiefs, Doves, Mylo and Faithless.
Looks to me like an early evening slot.

goldenecitrone said:
Can't be fussed trying to get into Fort Knox, sorry, Glastonbury this year. Looks like it's time to head for the Big Chill. Now, where did I put my picnic hamper and deckchair?

golden - a man of your calibre should be down at The Great Dorset Steam Fair

http://www.steam-fair.co.uk/default.asp

Fuck Glasto.. this has real ales and The Wurzels.

(+morris dancers, line dancing etc... etc...loads more fun!! )

well I've just had it confirmed to me that I'll be going to Glastonbury this year with work. We're putting on a comedy thing in the Leftfield tent and other stuff so I'll be working and stuff, but still should be fun but I think I got to be there all week setting up..... :D :cool: :)

oh well free passes not all bad hehe :p

Hey ho people. Not been here for a bit - busy see!

Passports will be accepted - bit of confusion earlier this week about that. The police and festival are really trying to stop people taking passports, but this isn't going to mean they are not acceptable.

As for citizen card, as far as I can tell it is not related to the (horrible) biometric ID cards being proposed by bliar and co (any thoughts to how I should vote BTW?). I think it is more along the lines of the AGE card I got when I was 18 to show barmen that this squeaky 14 year old was actually a bit older... I would say that people would be better applying for the CitCard than risking loosing the more important stuff. They don't ask for any detailed info on you other that where you live and how old you are - that much is held by a million and one agencies (including this site if you filled it out honestly!).

thelittlechef said:
Passports will be accepted - bit of confusion earlier this week about that. The police and festival are really trying to stop people taking passports, but this isn't going to mean they are not acceptable.

Cheers for this Mr Chef! :) Nice to have it confirmed.

Be a 'Glasto Rebel' this year :D :p

Take your passport and annoy the Police :p -- your passport will be accepted as ID, and that's the word from the Man In the Know's mouth.
(But a photo-ID driving licence, is, I guess, preferable if you have one).

(Littlechef is one of the Moderators on The Official Glasto Site (TOS) and has proper access to reliable information)

If you're worried about losing passport or licence, don't -- there are Property Lockups, and once you've arrived on site for the first time, I'm assuming you won't need to show full ID any more.

chegrimandi said:
well I've just had it confirmed to me that I'll be going to Glastonbury this year with work. We're putting on a comedy thing in the Leftfield tent and other stuff so I'll be working and stuff, but still should be fun but I think I got to be there all week setting up..... :D

oh well free passes not all bad hehe :p

Lucky sod!!! :mad: ;)

Chegri once you get the festie bug you won't be able to resist getting to other festies later in the summer -- have a look at mid August ;) in my Festival Season 2005 thread ....

Hollis said:
golden - a man of your calibre should be down at The Great Dorset Steam Fair

http://www.steam-fair.co.uk/default.asp

Fuck Glasto.. this has real ales and The Wurzels.

(+morris dancers, line dancing etc... etc...loads more fun!! )

Perhaps if I cant get tix to Glasto this would be good..? How are they about people taking mushrooms and dancing around a lot?

Millets will soon have the ideal Glasto tent in stock

093792LSt.jpg

I thought I'd imagined that Cath Kidson tent.
A little corner of Fulham in Somerset :rolleyes:
There's a matching caravan in the catalogue but I don't think she's putting them into production. :D

While doing school run yesterday I heard my daughter enthusing about Glasto to another kid.

Made me go alloverish :D

Can I stand the ordeal of ticket day? :eek: :D

How Glastonbury has changed over the years.

I already posted the following in Bluestreak's 'Michael Eavis can humbly apologise to me personally' ;) thread, which has been rapidly sinking into oblivion over the past week.

So here, preserved for posterity in its proper home -- the REAL Glastonbury thread, is a few thoughts (originally posted in slightly different form on EFestivals) about What has Glastonbury Lost

Everything evolves and changes down Worthy Farm way ...

========================================

What has Glastonbury lost?

Its a real mixture for me.

I first went in 1984 (when it was a lot smaller, and hadn't really become as wild as it did in following years -- most of the mad crusty Traveller crew were still at the last Stonehenge festie, where I'd also been for my one and only time that year -- what an introduction to festies, Stonehenge and Glasto in one week!).

I next went in 1994 (having for stupid irrational reasons missed some of the wildest and most anarchic late eighties and early nineties years, grrr) and have from 1994 been every year it happened since.

In 1994 and right up to 2000, there was still plenty of the Mad Max vibe that people talk of -- a fantastic and utterly wonderful chaotic mixup of Travellers, crusties, dreads, punks, hippies, ravers and lunatics, insane sound systems dotted all over, sublegal shebeens (The Dog and Vomit in the Green Crew Field, anyone?) selling beer from ex army marquees and from backs of trucks. Separate Travellers party field with a VERY Stonehengey vibe in 1999 and 2000 (apparantly also in 1997 and 1998, but I didn't go there those years). The Hub Tent in 1994 and 1995. Green Fields full chocker with all the wild bunch and all night partying and sound systems. In those days the Stone Circle Field was rocking far harder with drums and songs and madness than it is now. Much more of DIY/bring your own entertainment vibe, less passive 'let the programme provide' feel that you have now.

BUT, along with all that in the 1994-2000 period, you ALSO had all the vast attendant crew of scallies thieves tentrobbers wideboys and ripoff dealers. I never personally had any tent robbing trouble, but plenty of this was going on. The official crime figures speak for themselves, they have dropped hugely since 2002 (post Superfence). Up to 2000, the FenceJumping as National Sport was in full swing, I bought a ticket every year and tended to think that even the law abiding ones were immoral, amoral c**ts (not individually necessarily, but certainly collectively) who were without any doubt at all threatening the entire future of the festival I had a top time in 2000, and the best Saturday Night party in the Travellers Field ever (Fresh Acid! Right Here! Right Now! on a banner at dawn outstetched above an old ambulance!) but the overcrowding on the main site was bonkers and on the main drag up to the Green Fields, you had to move at a snails pace as the crowd shuffled along ... and that was a dry year!

So, since 2002. Safer, more organised, less robbing scum around, still PLENTY of the lovely Green Fields vibe, just more subdued. It had to happen that way, if the SuperFence had not been built and dodgy pre-2000 security not been sorted out, if the fencejumping and crime had not been stamped out, getting a licence EVER again would have been very very difficult not to say impossible probably. I think Michael Eavis has managed to walk a tightrope with an incredibly difficult balancing act that few others would have shown the commitment and skill to manage [NB note this comment was written PRIOR to all the ID information coming out]. We have gained safety and that's a major plus. We have lost the wild partying and that's a great shame (although Lost Vagueness fills the gap to a certain small extent, and still will in 2005, according to the licence application anyway). The 'tamer' audiences of 2002 on are not so drug f**ked but also not so DIY-create your own vibe and entertainment. Although in 2002, us Urban 75 crew managed a 15 foot geodome and small solar powered Sound System thanks to crew contacts with vehicle passes able to get the stuff in, that was a one off though, took shitloads of organisation! My first Glasto with Stig who was still litterpicking (5 am shifts!!) then. In general, since 2002, many fewer crusties n dreads and marginalised people and alternatives and hippies, there are still a smallish number of them but in much reduced numbers. A lot of this I personally blame on the significant reduction in crewing/legit blag numbers, eg Stigs mates the Townhead Collective (Stig's former fellow ex road protesters/Newbury veterans with their own solar power unit and cafe) are no longer able to collaborate with Shane Collins' former organisation Ecotrip to provide a Green Fields space, and they no longer come (although I think Shane came individually as a solo Speaker in the debate tent last year). Others who used to have Circus Field perfomer passes every year have been told very apologetically in 2003 by Arabella Churchill that there aren't the performer pass numbers for them anymore. To me, an upwards tweak to crew/performer numbers (by about 5,000, even 2,500, even 1,000), a slight relaxation/reversal to the clampdown on 'legit blags' would go a very long way in making the mix of people up Green Fields way more varied and alternative and countercultural once more, allowing the excluded and marginalised crew to return, they were NEVER the tentrobbers and scum element anyway.

I also object to the OVER SEVERE clamp down on noise and all night entertainment. You can still party all night for sure, but in a very restrained way and in far fewer places.

And Ansheuser-Busch (Bud Shiter) are utter c**tS -- apart from their 'beer' being foul tasting, weak as ditchwater piss, they are Yank corporate scum who treat their workers like shit, have globalising monopolising McDonalds style ever increasing market dominance, and have the f**king cheek to call themselves the 'Official Beer of the Glastonbury Festival' -- f**k OFF!! I can scarcely think of a less appropriate official sponsor, if, aside from ten of my own guarenteed tickets, if I had two wishes about Glasto, one would relate to crew numbers, (increase em!) the other would relate to Bud Shiter (sack the c**ts) and just to grind the humiliation into their plagiarising Yank faces, I'd replace them with a coalition between Czech Budvar, the decent authentic people whose good name the Yanks have RIPPED OFF for the last 100 or so years (and the Czechs would love to expand their sales of damn decent real Czech beer in the UK and would probably pay Glasto good money to do it), and a reputable medium sized regional UK brewery such as the nearby Brains of Cardiff, or ... so many others to choose from ... just ones that aren't part of some big corporate chain please ...

So yes, very mixed feelings. I still love it to bits, and it's still my ultimate favourite week in time and place in space in the world. But while much has been gained in terms of safety, and Michael is surely a national hero for keeping it going against all the authority imposed odds, it has also lost an awful lot, not least that a lot of good people who through the years made Glastonbury what it was, no longer feel able to come, despite having loads to offer organisationally, infrastructure wise, and atmosphere wise. And the mad scramble for tickets can only get worse.

BOYCOTT BUD SHITER -- stick to the Cider Bus!!!

:)

I still love it dearly too.

Every year I say I won't go - then I always end up there. Only ticket trouble will stop me this year.

I know the 'Mad Max vibe' (love that phrase :cool: ) is not there to the same extent but tell me another collection of 250 thousand people that has it at all?

Listening to my daughter explaining the Green fields to a little friend made me SO glad I have taken them all these years even tho I might have had more fun personally without the kids.

Glasto has taught my kids more about self reliance and caring about other people than any poxy 'citizenship' course ever will! :D

As usual, WoW hits the Festival nail firmly on the head.

William of Walworth said:
In 1994 and right up to 2000, there was still plenty of the Mad Max vibe that people talk of

yeah you're not wrong - I remember being completely sketched out by what is now The Glade - all dark corners, fucked up buses and feral-looking dogs.

In those days the Stone Circle Field was rocking far harder with drums and songs and madness than it is now.

Last year there was hardly any drumming - and certainly no digeridoo - in the Stone Circle, but then I think its been replaced as the area of all-night choice by LV. It was very quiet at dawn, though

Much more of DIY/bring your own entertainment vibe, less passive 'let the programme provide' feel that you have now.

Yeah there's the rub. Eavis has had to clamp down on the nocturnals as he walks the line to keep his festival going, but I thought last year he realised he couldn't expect everyone to squeeze into LV post-11pm. Finding not much there to take my fancy, I headed off and found loads of stuff going on, albeit really quietly.

Think GF is making a conscious effort to 'create' a DIY atmosphere. I know that doesn't make too much sense! Although I managed to find enough going on to keep me entertained all through the hours of darkness, it was obvious, looking back, that none of it was happening without GF sanction, all the way down to the sodding great half-tree camp fires that cropped up all over. In previous years the fire brigade would've been onto 'em.

So I think there's a certain element of 'heritage' to the festival now - everything in its right place, apart from the noise.

I agree about the passive audience thing - a lot of people I see complaining at Glasto are the same kind of people who sit at a football match moaning there's no atmosphere. If you want it, make it. ;)

Last night I dreampt I was at Glastonbury, lying on a sunny slope, sharing eye drops with a friend.

I can't tell you how crushingly depressing it was to wake up and realise I wasn't actually there.

More determined to get tickets now though.

Had me a letter yesterday that made me quite happy :)

See you on the gates

Back
Top Bottom