Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gammon is not racist

Can't remember the last time I went down the shops without a horde of brown youth yelling 'honky' at me.

Oh no wait, it was every time. Every single day of my life I've not been subjected to abuse because of the colour of my skin. If that applies to you too, which it absolutely does, then I reckon probably shut the fuck up.
Oh dear.

I'm with Magnus on this. Attempts to define racism as something that only people from certain groups can do are massively unhelpful and require some pretty drastic mental gymnastics. Why do it?

Oh dear.

I'm with Magnus on this. Attempts to define racism as something that only people from certain groups can do are massively unhelpful and require some pretty drastic mental gymnastics. Why do it?

I'm of the opinion that prejudice against the ruling majority of the population doesn't count as racism, because it doesn't derive from systemic oppression in the same way.

But that's not what I was getting at. My point was simply that Spymaster is full of shit. Nobody is hurling abuse at him in the street because he's white. If people are hurling abuse at him in the street, it's because they've fucking met him.

I'm of the opinion that prejudice against the ruling majority of the population doesn't count as racism, because it doesn't derive from systemic oppression in the same way.

But that's not what I was getting at. My point was simply that Spymaster is full of shit. Nobody is hurling abuse at him in the street because he's white. If people are hurling abuse at him in the street, it's because they've fucking met him.
Is Spy 'white'?

I’ve only just skimmed this thread, but apparently it’s still ok for me to contribute as I think I’ve caught the gist of the argument.

So, I got two unsmoked gammon steaks at the weekend cos they were sort of on an offer (Waitrose no less...) Ms 747 - veggie- is away so was going to do them with chips and peas for young master A320 and me. Am I a racist now if I eat them, or would it be more racist not to eat them?

4C3B2713-0CF6-47EB-8325-150610BFC60E.jpeg

Something you clearly haven't done. ;)

The fascism argument pertains to the bombing of the concert.

Carried out by a death cult - ISIS that longs to destroy everything that does not agree with it's world view, remarkably equitable that aim. Not racist, but prejudiced, racism is a specific form of prejudice, something you don't want to understand. Anyone can be predjudiced, not every predjudice can be racist due to the power, or lack of it behind that. This is the distinction.

I think that's basically sound but we move around the world. I find myself part of an ethnic and religious minority in Spain, systematically oppressed to a tiny extent. Can I sound off about Spanish people when I'm here but have to shut up the moment I arrive in UK? Or do I represent the ruling majority at a European or world scale?

I think Gammon is a silly form of attack on angry white men, it gives them ammunition.

Carried out by a death cult - ISIS that longs to destroy everything that does not agree with it's world view, remarkably equitable that aim. Not racist, but prejudiced, racism is a specific form of prejudice, something you don't want to understand. Anyone can be predjudiced, not every predjudice can be racist due to the power, or lack of it behind that. This is the distinction.
Who decided that? Was there a meeting? Racism is prejudice against a person or people based on the racial group the person or people is/are perceived to belong to. It has a pretty simple definition. When was that changed?

Whatever the reason for the prejudice, if you're prejudiced towards particular racial groups, that is racial prejudice, no, and therefore racism? What else could it be?

Last edited:
I think Gammon is a silly form of attack on angry white men, it gives them ammunition.

I actually agree on this point. I just don't think it's racist. If it specifically applies to white people that's probably because it's generally only white people, in the UK at least, who feel socially entitled enough to spout mean-spirited rubbish about everyone else and expect to be taken seriously and to not have their views questioned or challenged.

Back
Top Bottom