Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gammon is not racist

Is that where you studied American history?

no that was school and a short city lit course

Can you unpack that statement for us?

I don't know how to make it clearer. white supremacy is the hegemonic racial ideology and there's no outside of it. this is obvious. british people have largely positive views of the empire. scholars with critical views are relentlessly attacked by the press. the british museum exists. the windrush scandal happened. black men are murdered by police. our genocide in yemen is mostly ignored. but those poor white south african farmers aren't lacking for our sympathy.

Even if that were true, it's not obvious how that links to your central point? And you've not replied to my question about the political utility of the conception of racism you've chosen.

because obscuring the origins of racism always, always leads to white people playing the victim, and in a white dominated society any challenge to white supremacy is deemed to be anti-white (this was the majority white view of MLK and the 60s US civil rights movement at the time despite liberal revisionism).

So how does a school approach this subject? Two kids hurling racially charged abuse at one another in the playground are called in, and the whole class is given a talk on racism. What is said? Now then children, this white child calling a black child nasty names because they are black is being racist, but this black child calling a white child nasty names because they are white isn't being racist, merely prejudiced by race, because there is an unequal power dynamic, from which arose our racial categories in the first place, meaning that only the white child can be racist in this situation. Now run along children, and be nice to each other, but remember you can be racist, while you cannot...

Doesn't work. The attempt to be sophisticated results in the reverse of its intention - in confusion and simplistic nonsensical contradictions.

I don't know how to make it clearer.
perhaps you should give the matter some thought
white supremacy is the hegemonic racial ideology and there's no outside of it. this is obvious. british people have largely positive views of the empire. scholars with critical views are relentlessly attacked by the press.
are they really? sure you'll be able to give us some examples of this.
the british museum exists.
well spotted
the windrush scandal happened. black men are murdered by police.
yeh we all know the government and police are racist
our genocide in yemen is mostly ignored.
what genocide would this be?
but those poor white south african farmers aren't lacking for our sympathy.
just chucked in for good measure i suppose

n
I don't know how to make it clearer. white supremacy is the hegemonic racial ideology and there's no outside of it. this is obvious. british people have largely positive views of the empire. scholars with critical views are relentlessly attacked by the press. the british museum exists. the windrush scandal happened. black men are murdered by police. our genocide in yemen is mostly ignored. but those poor white south african farmers aren't lacking for our sympathy.
Right, none of these ideas is contested? But you're contesting them. Who is this 'our'? Doesn't include me. Appears not to include you either.

It's entering into dangerous territory to say that the racism of white people is different from the racism of high caste people in India, or of Han Chinese to non-Han, or of Finns to ethnic Lapps and so on. It's fudging to say that it's only when whiteness is temporarily redefined that it happens, though that clearly does happen eg in the case of 'white n......s'.

The racism of white people may be worse than than that of others, it's probably more widespread and has probably had more intellectual underpinnings over the years. But to say that it's somehow not another construct to reflect an essentially capitalist structure in origin would only leave only levels of melanin being the reason. Which would be odd.

I'm magically separate from the empire that created me! I'm one of the good ones! nothing I consume comes from stolen labour!
The processes of stolen labour know no bounds of nation or race. British history should teach you that if nothing else. Vicious, murderous exploitation of workers, at home and abroad, fuelled the Industrial Revolution.

Back
Top Bottom