Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

The optimist in me says that plod have pretended to fuck up and gone for the obvious suspect in the hope that the real perpetrator will keep her alive long enough to rescue her.

Some optimist I am...

Latest rumour on the interwebs is that Mark Bridger had been having an affair of some sort with Coral Jones (and may or may not be April's father) and he's taken April to get her back for breaking up with him. This is why Paul Jones wasn't at the family press conference.:rolleyes:

I get that people are probably clinging to this as it would mean April's more likely to be alive but ffs. Coral Jones looked terrified, heartbroken and desperate for her child at that press conference, not like someone who's so concerned with herself that she's keeping a big secret that might help the police find her child.

I'm not entirely sure you can second guess how someone who is probably already rather unstable will react in any given situation.

Blanket coverage isn't just driven by cynical hacks on national dailies. Often, it's the police who decide which nicked tot is worth twanging the nation's heartstrings with, and it's because they are desperate for leads.

It worked with Stammers, notably.

Amateur detectives are the worst in this situation. Vile rubbernecking glee.
It would be far better if the national media did not cover it, in my opinion.

There's plenty of evidence (she says, not providing any) that sensational coverage following mass killings can encourage others to commit similar acts. I'm not sure they've made the same link here, and I doubt they will, because I'd expect mindsets and motivations are strikingly different. But that being said, it is hard to see how there can be anything positive come out of such a grotesque media circus.

Blanket coverage isn't just driven by cynical hacks on national dailies. Often, it's the police who decide which nicked tot is worth twanging the nation's heartstrings with, and it's because they are desperate for leads.

That's interesting.

So counter to what I said in my last post, then, there might be evidence that the right type of coverage is useful. I suppose that makes sense. That being said, is there a line to be drawn between the details and coverage the police want to encourage, and the sensationalism the likes of Sky are peddling, and might the latter end up being counter-productive, not just in individual cases, but also more generally? (i.e. it's not exactly healthy to have a society encouraging blind accusation and frothing rage that can end up harming innocent people.)

Interesting, I was thinking anyway about the Police's involvement in it all, but what you say seems to make sense.

The obvious example is putting the parents/relatives in front of a press conference and seeing how they behave. Pretty much standard practice now, and very useful to the police. Unfortunately it also massively feeds the media appetite for crass, sensational material. It's disgusting. Kay bloody Burley and her moronic questions.

It appears that in this case the police released the photo of Bridger and his landrover in order to get as much information as they could about his whereabouts between Monday night and Tuesday afternoon, as they had very little to go on and had nowhere but the river to focus their search. The information they have since gotten has given them 20 locations to search. Whether this will prove useful or not remains to be seen but they obviously did it for a reason and wanted it to be reported to anyone who might have seen him/his car.

On the other hand the likes of interviews with grief tourists (wannabee volunteers), sweetshop owners and most especially Bridger's mostly estranged son are pointless and fucked up.

There's plenty of evidence (she says, not providing any) that sensational coverage following mass killings can encourage others to commit similar acts.
i don't recall any mass killings following hard on the heels of the manson family's little extravaganza at 10050 cielo drive, round at hinman's gaff and at the labiancas.

@iguana, where the fuck does all that mad rumour / speculation shit come from??

(fwiw I generally avoid twitter, fb, sky)

I read it first on a parenting forum (along with a lot of "I'm not blaming anyone but 5 year olds should be in bed at 7pm, not out on the street" type comments) but have seen it on a few places since.

If one thing is certain about these kind of horrible events, it's that people everywhere will use them to feel better about themselves.

It just gets worse, they've now revealed that the kid has cerebral palsy and that if she is still alive she is likely to be suffering severe pain without her medication. :(

I'm glad I missed that. That person sounds like a total idiot. Has that person, or others like him/her, had a proper think about why the Police don't want people like them getting in the way any more? (Clearly not! :hmm: ) Framed's post rings all too true to me I fear ...

this was just posted on the guardian. one of the volunteer leaders who've been asked to stay away by the police..

'we have to hope that the police are on a wrong lead, so we can find the little girl' :facepalm:

That's a syrup if I ever saw one, he seems slightly drunk too.

Road to hell and good intentions and all that, must be bloody frustrating for the police though.

Back
Top Bottom