Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fate of EU citizens in the UK post Brexit

My HM has said loads of her Polish mates and Italians etc have not bothered to apply. They think our govt is so shit it dont matter.

Aye I know a few people in the same situation. I think it’s a big mistake, though. The ILR is safe whatever happens, unless you get involved in serious criminality or something. This is according to a lawyer I was talking to who does a bit of immigration work. My understanding is that if there’s no deal, people have one year to apply for settled status, but the day after brexit will have no legal status until they do. It seems to me that’s not a good plan.

Aye I know a few people in the same situation. I think it’s a big mistake, though. The ILR is safe whatever happens, unless you get involved in serious criminality or something. This is according to a lawyer I was talking to who does a bit of immigration work. My understanding is that if there’s no deal, people have one year to apply for settled status, but the day after brexit will have no legal status until they do. It seems to me that’s not a good plan.

I thought the original idea would be a transition period. Then if the person has not applied by end of transition period they would have no legal status. This would also mean that those who come in the transition period could apply. Though they would get pre settled status to begin with. As they would not have five years here.

In the transition period an EU citizen would still have the rights under free movement in EU. Its only at end of transition period they lose them. That would include those who come after Brexit but during the transition period.

From the new government it's looking like they are thinking of getting rid of transition period in case of No Deal.

In which case they are going to have to distinguish between those already here and those who come just after No deal Brexit.

And it's not clear to me how they are going to do that. If that's how the Home Office decides to do it

Last edited:
I know some people have already applied. As the whole Brexit situation is not finished and there is still a chance it won't happen I don't see why people should have to go through whole process of applying.

It's wrong that people should feel need to apply to keep a status they haven't lost yet.

A status that's inferior to what they have now.

It's so unworkable and the carnage so great surely it's just pre election showing off how big a bunch of cunts they are. Though as you say, there is nothing I wouldn't put past them.

Its pandering to leave means leave lot.

I don't think the fate of EU citizens here in UK is a major concern for a lot of people.

So this government might think it would get support in the country for No deal Brexit if they promised straight after an end to free movement. The we are giving you what you voted for argument. Against those metropolitan establishment types who offer a transition period.

Last edited:
I just saw how this 'freedom of movement will end immediately' thing was being reported just now on the BBC and Ive go to say it sounded like they meant it....if they actually mean this its unimaginable the consequences. Its only logic thats making me think its a play. Feel sick to my stomach in all honesty, all the more knowing this is considered a vote winner.

all the talk of coppers and immigration suggests an election is imminent.

I hate the settled status scheme it cost us a lot of worry and cash but to ignore will have the full force of the immigration plod on your back. In general employers have been offering shit advice, I’ve started emailing eu members of staff in my work place offering my help if they need it.

What can you tell your coworkers when the government is putting out nonsense like this. As of this announcement if they genuinely get to enact this madness then the 2.5 million odd not sufficiently registered are fucked by Nov 1st. It will defacto mean people without the necessary paperwork are illegal to work/live in the UK on 1st Nov..the Day of the Fucking Dead no less. Surely it cant happen...that they would even say it is a disgrace and will have consequences

I thought the original idea would be a transition period. Then if the person has not applied by end of transition period they would have no legal status. This would also mean that those who come in the transition period could apply. Though they would get pre settled status to begin with. As they would not have five years here.

In the transition period an EU citizen would still have the rights under free movement in EU. Its only at end of transition period they lose them. That would include those who come after Brexit but during the transition period.

From the new government it's looking like they are thinking of getting rid of transition period in case of No Deal.

In which case they are going to have to distinguish between those already here and those who come just after No deal Brexit.

And it's not clear to me how they are going to do that. If that's how the Home Office decides to do it

Aye, that’s exactly why I think applying now seems like the safest bet. Depending on the circumstances though, it will be easier for some people than others. There’s no requirement to send screeds of unnecessary paperwork like with the PR card, someone close to me did it through the phone app and it took less than ten minutes. It automatically checks NI contributions and suchlike I think.

The problem will be for people who’ve had less stable employment, been doing casual work, had dodgy employers, moved a lot from job to job etc.

not sure how much of a vote winner this is tbh. There are 3 million EU nationals in the Uk. Many many people - most people - will have them as friends, workmates, your kids schoolmates, fellow students. Its people's teachers, doctors, nurses, hairdressers, mechanics etc etc. A huge number of people from will have close family members who are in relationships or close friends with EU nationals. Xenophobia is a lot harder to maintain when it stops being some distant other and suddenly its people who you know and like who are on the receiving end.

https://www.britsoc.co.uk/about/lat...-racism-and-xenophobia-since-the-brexit-vote/

Dr Sime, of the University of Strathclyde and project leader, told the conference: “Young people commented that the result of the Brexit referendum had altered their feelings of belonging to the UK and sense of security because of increasing hostility towards migrants being expressed openly by people they knew.

Note that this is from people they know. One comment in the article was from a young man who grew up here. Perfect English. When some realise he's Polish their attitude to him changes.

Ive heard similar comments from EU people here I know of sense of security and belonging here has been undermined by Brexit vote.

Similar to what happened to the Windrush generation.

Last edited:
Aye, that’s exactly why I think applying now seems like the safest bet. Depending on the circumstances though, it will be easier for some people than others. There’s no requirement to send screeds of unnecessary paperwork like with the PR card, someone close to me did it through the phone app and it took less than ten minutes. It automatically checks NI contributions and suchlike I think.

The problem will be for people who’ve had less stable employment, been doing casual work, had dodgy employers, moved a lot from job to job etc.

Its as if the creation of an hidden underclass of cheap unregulated labour with no rights is part of the plan

From the guardian article.

A Home Office spokesperson told the Independent: “The home secretary has been clear in her intention to take back control of our borders and end free movement after 31 October.

Makes it clear what this government is thinking.

‘Take back control’ again. There’s been a definite rise in bullshit sound bites in the last few weeks, suspect that is Cummings at work. Lots of stuff about police and hospitals. Would help if the opposition was extremely vocal about why we have problems with police numbers and hospitals and whose fault it is. Labour ‘wrecking the economy’ seems another common one. Some of the cunts like Cleverley seem to speak entirely in this vacuous kind of language. Gearing up for the election.

‘Take back control’ again. There’s been a definite rise in bullshit sound bites in the last few weeks, suspect that is Cummings at work. Lots of stuff about police and hospitals. Would help if the opposition was extremely vocal about why we have problems with police numbers and hospitals and whose fault it is. Labour ‘wrecking the economy’ seems another common one. Some of the cunts like Cleverley seem to speak entirely in this vacuous kind of language. Gearing up for the election.
Should we depart the eu on no deal terms the tories will never lose the wrecking the economy label

Yes it would help if the opposition was more vocal. I heard Diane Abbot on radio this morning. Among other things re Brexit she was asked about immigration policy and free movement. For the life of me I couldn't understand what her position was on the EU people here now. Or on a future Labour government immigration policy.

I'm a Corbyn supporter as I live in borough run by New Labour zealots. (Lambeth) But I really wish the Corbyn side of the Labour party would be more upfront about issues like immigration. And the fate of the EU citizens here.

It almost feels they are doing the "triangulation" type politics that people like me so hates about the Blair years.

Trying to reconcile views across the country that are incapable of being reconciled.

Boris / Cummings/ Patel are starting to put forward simple straightforward message. Which will resonate with large section of voters. I don't agree with it but its clear with no fudging or Triangulation.

Afraid to say Labour party aren't dealing with this.

Last edited:
Migration: UK cannot end freedom of movement on Brexit day, experts say
Migration experts say the UK cannot end freedom of movement from the EU on Brexit day because it has no system to work out who is legally in the country. The Home Office said on 19 August that EU freedom of movement would end immediately in a no-deal Brexit. But Oxford University's Migration Observatory said employers will have no way to tell whether EU nationals have arrived after 31 October.

A Home Office spokesman said it would set out details of changes to EU migration after Brexit "shortly" but encouraged EU citizens to apply to the settlement scheme.

"Free movement as it currently stands will end on 31 October when we leave the EU," he said.

This now looks like the Home Office line.

As DexterTCN says it looks like the onus will be on the individual to prove right to be here.

So the quote implies it will be the individuals fault if they haven't applied and got settled status before Brexit.

This is straight out of the Tories book of how to create a hostile environment.

UK 'cannot end freedom of movement' on Brexit day

Some of my Black British friends had been advised not to leave UK in case they have problems getting back in. I think the same could apply to EU nationals living here whilst the Brexit fiasco continues. It leaving and and then trying to re enterv the country that's the risky bit.

Leading Brexiteer says government's treatment of EU citizens could end in 'another Windrush scandal'

As the Portuguese woman in video above says the settled status scheme isn't as straightforward as was promised.

Even this Tory Brexit supporting MEP is saying this.

Looks to me that a lot of people aren't getting the settled status but only getting the interior pre settled status.

There is something infuriating about a Tory/ Brexit supporter now saying Brexit wil adversely affect EU citizens post Brexit and that's not what he wanted. I don't believe him.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say impassioned I would say she looks really worried about her future. Its the same look of disbelief that this could be happening I've seen on Windrush peoples faces.

My partner is starting to get worried now this government is in power.

Make no mistake this is what a lot of the hard-line Brexit people wanted. Boris is trying to deliver what they wanted all along.

Last edited:
They can go home.

Or stay. It's completely up to them. :)

no - it wont be up to them. they will have to negotiate a complex, time consuming and expensive bureaucratic maze with a high chance of failure and potential deportation. 3 million people - many of whom have lived here most of their lives - are in limbo. because they are bargaining chips in the hands of cunts.

This tory shit

EDHZSqWXoAAntJt

no - it wont be up to them. they will have to negotiate a complex, time consuming and expensive bureaucratic maze with a high chance of failure and potential deportation. 3 million people - many of whom have lived here most of their lives - are in limbo. because they are bargaining chips in the hands of cunts.
You've obviously missed the fact that these people are needed to do essential jobs in this country or jobs the British can't be bothered to do.
Expelling these people would also risk the EU expelling British ex pats in retaliation.

Back
Top Bottom