Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fate of EU citizens in the UK post Brexit

I don't understand this.

At least with May had some understanding of what was happening.

I'm not clear what this three year leave to Remain means.

Does it mean that after that one can apply for settled status after three year? Or under a points system if your job is not needed will you have to leave?

Is it separate from Pre settled and settled status?

Also the tougher criminal checks. What does that mean?

Under hostile environment people who have minor issues with the law have faced losing right to be here. Are they going to extend that to other EU citizens post Brexit?

This Boris government has already had to backtrack on ending free movement on day one of No Deal Brexit they want.

I don't feel at all sure of status of EU citizens post Brexit with this lot in power.

ETA I made a mistake thinking this was about the airing of an earlier scheme.

To me this just smacks of electioneering. Especially with the increased levels of checks for criminality and I suspect severe punishment for minor offences. No more pissing in public.

The issue is how will landlords, employers those that now police the border differentiate between settled, pre settled and 3 year visitor. I suspect it will be almost impossible to police as jjudging from the technological aspect it seems similar to the settled status scheme hence getting a long number to prove your right to reside...not at all a cock up.

Fuck me but Patel is a thick.

Last edited:
I don't understand this.

At least with May had some understanding of what was happening.

I'm not clear what this three year leave to Remain means.

Does it mean that after that one can apply for settled status after three year? Or under a points system if your job is not needed will you have to leave?

Is it separate from Pre settled and settled status?

Also the tougher criminal checks. What does that mean?

Under hostile environment people who have minor issues with the law have faced losing right to be here. Are they going to extend that to other EU citizens post Brexit?

This Boris government has already had to backtrack on ending free movement on day one of No Deal Brexit they want.

I don't feel at all sure of status of EU citizens post Brexit with this lot in power.

Meanwhile, British people who live abroad have no idea of how this will affect us either. It just goes on and on. Will I lose healthcare rights? Will my pension be affected? What about benefits? Who cares - my vote doesn't swing elections anyway you see.

Government announces immigration plans for no deal Brexit

Looked up what the government say. This as put up on 4th September.

The whole government article assumes No Deal Brexit is what this Boris government is planning for.

So the way I read it when this government has got its No Deal Brexit on the 31st October. This is promised "come what may".

The May "transitional period" will go.

To be replaced with end of free movement and requiring for people arriving after 31st to apply for this third category ( on top of pre and settled status) which is three year leave to remain.

By end of this three year period a new points based immigration system will be in place. ( 2021 is planned implementation of points based) When ones three year leave to remain finishes then one can try too stay under the points based system.

This is a change.

The May government transitional period would have meant one could still apply for pre settled status up to end of the transitional period. That is free movement would stay for the transitional period.

The government article does not say what the the tighter criminal checks are in practise.

The article does say landlords:

Employers and landlords will not be required to distinguish between EU citizens who arrived before and after exit until the future immigration system is introduced from 2021.

But my reading of this article is that the post Brexit people will have to have a three year leave to remain status to be here. So landlords surely will need to check this status post Brexit? I don't understand this from reading this government article.

In which case what will those EU citizens here before Brexit who have not yet applied for settled status do?

How will landlord differentiate between those who came post Brexit , who require three year leave to remain, and those who have been here for years who still have time to apply for settled status?

Or am I reading it wrong?

Applications for the scheme will open after the UK leaves the EU and will involve a simple online process and identity, security and criminality checks. EU citizens will receive a digital status lasting three years entitling them to work and rent property during this period. EU citizens wishing to stay on in the UK after their temporary status expires will need to make a further application under the new points-based immigration system.

Government announces immigration plans for no deal Brexit

Last edited:
Another quote :

Further measures to be introduced after 31 October 2019 include:

• removing the blue EU customs channel, requiring all travellers to make customs declarations by choosing the red or green channel
  • introducing blue UK passports later this year
  • removing the rights to permanent residence under retained EU law for those who arrive after Brexit

So no transitional period.

This is the difference between May government and Boris/ Priti

Patel is awful:

Home Secretary Priti Patel said:

On 31 October, we will leave the EU come what may.

Introducing tougher checks and ending free movement as it currently stands will allow us to take the first, historic steps towards taking back control of our borders.

This is why I was against Brexit. Knew the right would use it in this way. They feel vindicated by the leave vote.

That's only if there's a no deal Brexit though. Which, unless the Tories win the (very probably) upcoming general election with a clear majority, (probably) won't happen. may's deal (which they may bring back) guarantees transition period and right to remain. Priti vacant is just having a no deal wank.

0d3854_8157f84edec14bfda574935f9fc3913d-page-0.jpg

from the 3 million website. Patel and Boris appear to have forgotten the promises they made.

Attachments

• 0d3854_8157f84edec14bfda574935f9fc3913d.pdf
    319.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
https://www.the3million.org.uk/automatic-rights

My Spanish partner went to the Spanish Embassy here in London at invite of Spanish government. She is now officially in eyes of Spanish government a Spanish national resident in this country. No fuss and as she said friendly Spanish welcome unlike Brexit UK state bureaucracy.

The 3 million have been arguing for a simple "declatory" system for EU nationals from other parts of Europe so that they can stay here post Brexit.

Instead of this hostile environment styled so called Settled Status.

Where a lot of people are ending up only getting pre settled status.

In all the arguments about Boris , Corbyn and LDs view on Brexit the fate of EU citizens form other parts of Europe is being forgotten again.

16% of over 65s have applied (not got, applied) for settled status so far. (Source BBC)
slightly more stats on this - came from an Age UK report in fact

"
Analysis from the charity shows that just 16% of older people have made an application to the scheme - compared to 30% of working-age people so far.

And Age UK is warning that with 118,000 EU nationals over 65 expected to apply for the scheme, just 19,210 have done so

Of those, 14,240 having been granted settled status and 2,660 have been granted pre-settled status.

Applicants are meanwhile mostly expected to apply online - but the charity said that could cause problems when a quarter of over-65s (24%) say they have not used the internet at all in the last three months.

That figure rises sharply further up the age-range.

The group is also concerned that many older people currently do not have a valid passport because they are no longer able to travel."

long read today ‘I’ve been here 50 years’: the EU citizens struggling for the right to stay in Britain
has nothing much in it not covered in the thread, but I hadnt heard this before:

"To reduce the possibility of fraud, there is no physical document at the end of the process, just a digital record, which can be shared with a landlord or an employer (after Brexit, they will have to check EU nationals’ eligibility) via a time-limited unique code, on a smartphone."

So for those who pass the process some random 'time-limited' thing on your phone is your pass to housing and work - access to the NHS? - sounds like its the one piece of proof you can show. What could possibly go wrong.

long read today ‘I’ve been here 50 years’: the EU citizens struggling for the right to stay in Britain
has nothing much in it not covered in the thread, but I hadnt heard this before:

"To reduce the possibility of fraud, there is no physical document at the end of the process, just a digital record, which can be shared with a landlord or an employer (after Brexit, they will have to check EU nationals’ eligibility) via a time-limited unique code, on a smartphone."

So for those who pass the process some random 'time-limited' thing on your phone is your pass to housing and work - access to the NHS? - sounds like its the one piece of proof you can show. What could possibly go wrong.
Maybe this is the software developer in me but I still can't get over the fact that they built the whole process around an app that didn't work on iPhones and was never going to work on iPhones. There has never been any indication that Apple will ever open up their NFC system. I mean building it around an app is stupid to begin with but this is just amazing.

Maybe this is the software developer in me but I still can't get over the fact that they built the whole process around an app that didn't work on iPhones and was never going to work on iPhones. There has never been any indication that Apple will ever open up their NFC system. I mean building it around an app is stupid to begin with but this is just amazing.

Technological solutions innit. They’ve also just worked out how to solve the Irish border conundrum using a piece of software that runs on a Palm Pilot.

Lets face it, the majority of people don't give a fuck - that includes plenty on the "left". Collateral damage. What a shame eh. Get Brexit Done.
Brandon Lewis today made it clear people without status will get deported - obviously - contradicting BJs official blatant lie of "protecting the rights of EU citizens in the UK". Based on the scale of this I cant think of a more scandalous and outrageous internal political act in my life time in the UK. Barely a peep about it. Most people don't even know its happening. Of those that do many look the other way. Press coverage - next to none, with little sense of alarm. If everyone in Bristol (half a mill - sounds about right) were liable to become illegal and deportable next year you think there might be a bit more of a story here. But no, these people aren't really British, so fuck em. Foreign workers arent they? Isnt there a field in France they can pick fruit in if they love the EU so much?

That there's a right wing government drive to kick out "foreigners" from the UK comes as no surprise. But the support they have for it, either silent or vocal, makes me want to vomit. Its taught me a lot this whole episode. Lesson learned, wont forget it.

And exactly what political lesson(s) have you learned?

Of course the actions of the government are appalling but what are you saying here? That populaces are responsible for the actions of their governments?

Last edited:
And exactly what political lesson(s) have you learned?

Of course the actions of the government are appalling but what are you saying here? That populaces are responsible for the actions of their governments?
Didn't you post this, elsewhere?

a worker who holds reactionary opinions about immigrants may be a dick but they are still a worker, their class interest are still aligned with mine (and presumably yours). A boss may be lovely and progressive, may be implementing all kinds of policies that tackle discrimination, inequality and even workplace democracy but at a fundamental level their interests are in opposition to those of their workers.

Back
Top Bottom