Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fate of EU citizens in the UK post Brexit

I wonder if an extension also adds on to the registration/become illegal deadline (currently March 2021)

I wonder if an extension also adds on to the registration/become illegal deadline (currently March 2021)

I take it you mean registering as a resident.

In Portugal.

I understood the dead line for registration was the end of the transition period which comes into effect after an orderly brexit i.e. with a deal and lasts at the moment up until xmas 2020.

The extension IF granted by the EU means Britain stays in the EU until the end of the extension. This may affect the transition period but depends on Britain agreeing their deal allready approved by the EU.

Crash out and all bets are off. One warning to anyone travelling after March 29 (or end of extension) is check driving licence validity etc. it maybe that car insurance needs to be checked as well if travelling by car.

Registration here is very simple pop in to the local town or county council (not parish council but remember to register your dogs if you have any at the parish) you need to show some bits such as bank account, property ownership etc but took less than ten minutes for wife and me to register.

Safest to do it before 29th March.

Well according to the official website for settled status
"The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019. You may be able to apply now if you meet the criteria. The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021."
...which looks like theyve added three months on, as I'd swear the deadline was 30 March 2021 when the thread began

Warning of legal limbo for 3m EU citizens living in UK after Brexit

The Joint Committeee on Human Rights warns that government promises of the rights for EU nationals are not firm enough.

Government promises that everything will be ok in long term aren't good enough. ( As posters here have thought).

Rights should be enshrined in primary legislation not the use of statutory instruments.

Significantly the committee says that rights for EU nationals post Brexit should not depend on signing up to the Government settled status scheme.They should be put into primary legislation.

Committee has seen what has happened to Windrush generation. So government promises using statutory instruments aren't good enough.

Nor is the settled status scheme.

Basically the committee agrees with all the concerns raised on this thread.

Parliamentary committees are (on the whole) better by far than the HoC generally. The more power and independence they have the better. It also gives me some hope that MPs can be relatively decent, away from the constraints of the whip.

Yes, I know someone in exactly that situation, mother originally French, living in the UK for years, three kids, two have citizenship and one, despite being born in the UK and living here his whole life, doesn't. Thankfully she is aware of the issue and stressfully trying to sort it out for him, but finding it difficult from what I hear. Still, at least theres a bus driving round for 4 days, that should solve the thousands of cases

Right, applying for settled status part two. As my wife is from outside the eu, we’ve had to wait till today to apply. Got through the first bit, easy enough...d.o.b, passport number, phone number, email address. Sent link to second part. Form asks have you permanent residence? Answer, No. then have you indefinite leave to remain? Answer, No. then get message error in application. Phone up Home Office, their answer is try later on in the week or next week as system can’t cope.

There was a discussion upthread about people born in Northern Ireland, who under the GFA have the right to Irish, British or both citizenships. Looks like the UK Government has decided that's no longer the case - you are automatically British, whether you want to be or not (even if your parents are Irish citizens and you happened to be born in the North.) They've done this pretty quietly, and also decreed that British Citizens can no longer be considered citizens of the European Economic Area, even though Brexit hasn't actually happened yet. All this is really, really shitty. :(

Applying for settled status part 3. So my wife made the application last night, fairly stratight forward, got past the stage mentioned above and got to apply as an EU family member, supplied all the documentation (except my last five years of pay slips because I don't have them, d'oh). The immediate answer was that she wasn't here for 5 years, which is true in the sense that her 5 year family permit runs out on 1st May. so 4 years and 11 months. So far so good, we were expecting this.

What we didn't expect is that she has to present herself to the immigration authorities today to get her biometrics taken, we had been told by a home office official that she would just have to turn up at a post office and get the relevant finger prints, photo taken which would cost £19.20. Instead it's costing us £100. We we're also told that she wouldn't have to take along all the documentation we've scanned to the Immigration center by said official and the .Gov.uk website. Yet this morning when we inquired, a phone call that cost £2.50 a minute, that she will have to take all the documentation with her.

Now if fully expect that we will have to do this process all over again on the 1st of May. Although I think we will appeal. The main thing for my wife is that she does not under any circumstances want to send her documentation through the post to the HO.

The irritating thing is not only the cost but the lack of clarity coming from the HO, the gov.uk website, and other partners regarding the whole process. It seems willfully obsure and difficult to navigate and we're native English speakers.

There was a discussion upthread about people born in Northern Ireland, who under the GFA have the right to Irish, British or both citizenships. Looks like the UK Government has decided that's no longer the case - you are automatically British, whether you want to be or not (even if your parents are Irish citizens and you happened to be born in the North.) They've done this pretty quietly, and also decreed that British Citizens can no longer be considered citizens of the European Economic Area, even though Brexit hasn't actually happened yet. All this is really, really shitty. :(

I haven't noticed that. I was born in England, my dad was a bricky and we travelled back and forth over a number of years between Ireland and England. As I was born in the seventies I am technically a british subject but when we made the application for my wife we were told that because I'd never had a british passport, and that for most of my life I'd lived and worked in Ireland I wouldn't be considred British. This might through a spanner in the settled status application my wife has made...Shit.

Last edited:
Applying for settled status part 3. So my wife made the application last night, fairly stratight forward, got past the stage mentioned above and got to apply as an EU family member, supplied all the documentation (except my last five years of pay slips because I don't have them, d'oh). The immediate answer was that she wasn't here for 5 years, which is true in the sense that her 5 year family permit runs out on 1st May. so 4 years and 11 months. So far so good, we were expecting this.

What we didn't expect is that she has to present herself to the immigration authorities today to get her biometrics taken, we had been told by a home office official that she would just have to turn up at a post office and get the relevant finger prints, photo taken which would cost £19.20. Instead it's costing us £100. We we're also told that she wouldn't have to take along all the documentation we've scanned to the Immigration center by said official and the .Gov.uk website. Yet this morning when we inquired, a phone call that cost £2.50 a minute, that she will have to take all the documentation with her.

Now if fully expect that we will have to do this process all over again on the 1st of May. Although I think we will appeal. The main thing for my wife is that she does not under any circumstances want to send her documentation through the post to the HO.

The irritating thing is not only the cost but the lack of clarity coming from the HO, the gov.uk website, and other partners regarding the whole process. It seems willfully obsure and difficult to navigate and we're native English speakers.

Sounds like a nightmare....sorry to hear it. My own experience (15 years back) went along the lines that whilst in the longwinded process of sorting out leave to remain for my partner out of the blue dropped a letter saying You Have Overstayed Leave Now (well there was a date given to leave by:a fortnight). Being in the middle of the process we werent sure whether to ignore it, or how to react. We paid for legal advice and the advice was to leave for six months and then come back to finish the application - if you overstay by even a day that rule breaking would override everything else.

It was difficult and expensive, but she did leave for six months and on return eventually completed the process. This account doesnt include the phone calls, visits to Croydon, brick wall response from the HO, and above all deep stress, particularly so when forced to leave. One thing is certain, our relationship would have ended if it had started a few years later as the new rules would have stopped it through even more hostile bureaucracy and hoop jumping - as it is we only just squeezed through.

Theres such a variety of personal circumstances and situations that people find themselves in, and so many hurdles set up to trip people up, the presentation of settled status application that you just press a couple of buttons on an app and its done is pure bullshit. There may be some people for whom that works, but the room for failure is massive - and thats for those able to deal with the process in the first place.

Is there a right to appeal?
is that to me?

If so, I believe there is but it involves sending off documents. We probably would appeal but who knows. My wife is pretty exhausted by the whole process. It's not easy, the advice changes depending on who you talk too. And if the UK Gov doesn't recognise I'm an Irish citizen and won't give her settled status because I was born in London in the seventies, despite giving her EEA family permit in 2014, then we will probably up sticks and leave.

is that to me?

If so, I believe there is but it involves sending off documents. We probably would appeal but who knows. My wife is pretty exhausted by the whole process. It's not easy, the advice changes depending on who you talk too. And if the UK Gov doesn't recognise I'm an Irish citizen and won't give her settled status because I was born in London in the seventies, despite giving her EEA family permit in 2014, then we will probably up sticks and leave.
we have the worst government in living memory, which is both brutal and particularly stupid.

i hope you get it sorted out, flypanam

Cheers. It’s frustrating, especially for my wife, but if it’s refused we leave. Not the end of the world. Not as if we have kids or own anything of worth. Far worse for a lot of others.

Just a reminder of what was promised.

This was why I was against Brexit.

It was being pushed by UKIP/ right of Tory party from the outset.

I thought that If the referendum was for Brexit people like you would get a hard time.

I think the EU has loads of faults but in the context of this country it was not in the Euro. Unlike the PIGS.

Brexit was being pushed by anti immigrant sentiment. Why I and a lot of my friends in Lambeth were opposed to it.

I've been proved right.

Reactions: CRI

I wonder how this affects British people on the "mainland" with Irish Republic background.

Several of my friends are applying for Irish citizenship. Hoping as British citizens this will cover them as also staying in the EU. Whilst the likes of me, 100% British :thumbs: are stuffed.

They are people who can trace their Irish ancestory to grandparents.

I wonder how this affects British people on the "mainland" with Irish Republic background.

Several of my friends are applying for Irish citizenship. Hoping as British citizens this will cover them as also staying in the EU. Whilst the likes of me, 100% British :thumbs: are stuffed.

They are people who can trace their Irish ancestory to grandparents.

I'm not entirely sure. It may be an issue specific to people born in Northern Ireland, who can claim Irish, British or both forms of citizenship, (elsewhere in the UK, there is no birthright citizenship.) In Emma DeSousa's case, she chose to be Irish only, and when she married an American citizen, expected that he would be able to live with her in Belfast, following the same rules for Irish people who marry Americans and live in Dublin, say. But, the UK Home Office declared that she was British, so her husband was subject to stricter UK rules for being allowed to join a British spouse in the UK - and was disallowed.

On that basis, it seems likely that if you've retained British citizenship, even as you've taken on Irish citizenship, the Home Office rules would apply.

To be honest, I think they are making it up as they go along.

But, the UK Home Office declared that she was British

A bit more clarity required? NI is not a member of great Britain only of the UK this can be seen on any "British" passport. The UK of great britain and NI.

So is it not more correct to say she is UKish not british?

so her husband was subject to stricter UK rules for being allowed to join a British spouse in the UK - and was disallowed.

Is this the UK controlling its borders? Are the rules different for a citizen of an ex colony?

To be honest, I think they are making it up as they go along.

Couldn't agree more.

A bit more clarity required? NI is not a member of great Britain only of the UK this can be seen on any "British" passport. The UK of great britain and NI.

So is it not more correct to say she is UKish not british?

Is this the UK controlling its borders? Are the rules different for a citizen of an ex colony?

Couldn't agree more.

One of the arguments about leaving EU was that we would get to control our borders. Out of EU we could set our own immigration policy without the EU interfering.

In fact EU allowed UK to set its own requirements re UK subjects and marriage partners from outside EU. The EU version being more liberal.

Why the lady from NI/ Ulster has been caught up in this.

Northern Ireland is a problem for Brexit.

The Good Friday Agreement was a peace settlement between two warring parties. The UK and IRA.

It was a stalemate. Section of Northern Ireland community feeling Irish not part of UK.

Thus people in NI can take Irish citizenship.

The argument about this means the UK state regards these people as UK citizens who just happen to have Irish passport.

Whereas the case you mention was from a women who reckons her Irish citizenship comes first.

I can understand why the DUP say the Union comes before a reasonable Brexit. For them defending Ulster as part of the Union is the biggest issue. From there point of view its logical argument.

IMO the Good Friday Agreement worked ok as long as UK was in the EU.

Not now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom