Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

is there a list anywhere of anti-fascist demos this weekend, intelligence about where far right gatherings may be etc? I've seen the figure of 19 banded about but no info about where likely places are.
It's not an organisation I would uncritically endorse by any means*, but SUTR have this list:

Friday 2 August

Bradford: 5pm, City Hall, BD1 1HX

Croydon: Town Hall 4.30pm Katherine St, CRO 1NX

Saturday 3 August

Blackburn: 12 noon Victoria Street, BB1 6DS – 12.30 peaceful march to Town Hall

Bristol: 6pm, Castle Park (top of Union Street)

Cardiff: 11am, Senedd

Leeds: 12.30pm, Leeds Central Library, Calverley Street

Leicester: 4pm at the top of Gallowtree Gate, outside Sports Direct, Leicester City Centre – Unity Rally We remember the Southport victims – with respect

Liverpool: 1pm, St George’s Hall, L1 1JJ. There will also be an ant-racist presence at the West Derby Road mosque on Friday evening.

Manchester: 9am, Piccadilly Gardens, M1 1AF

Nottingham: 1pm Brian Clough statue – Stand with Southport, Don’t let hate divide us, Oppose the far right, No more victims

Stoke: 10.30am, Hanley Town Hall (ST1 1 QQ)

Sunday 4 August

Birmingham: 2pm outside Barclays Bank, High Street, City Centre

Bolton: 12 noon, Queens Park, Spa Road, BL1 4AG – 12.30 peaceful march to Town Hall

Rotherham/Sheffield: 11am, Holiday Inn, Express Way, Manvers Way, Wath-upon-Dearne, S63 7EQ

Weymouth: 4.30pm Weymouth Esplanade opposite King George statue

Definitely not got everything, e.g. the call to protect a mosque in Liverpool tonight, and where you have the choice I'd usually recommend going with an independently-organised event rather than a SUTR one, but it's harder to get a convenient list compiled of those, especially since the AFN seems like a bit of an ex-organisation these days.

*a full discussion of the pros and cons of SUTR, and indeed other antifascist groups, would probably be outside of the scope of this thread, although tbf probably not that much more offtopic than a lengthy back and forth about what woke means or whatever.

Well there was. It would have been fleeting, and done and dusted were it not for a few people needlessly trying and failing to take me on over it.

Agreed. Mojo probably shouldn't have brought it up. Happy to move on.

The point is that neither the people outside the mosque or (probably) the people on the LBC phone in are actually talking about immigration. Their view of it has no relationship to the reality of the subject. It is a far right, conspiracist perspective that forms a part of this whole fucking mess we've landed in. It is relevant in that sense. Discussing the finer points of immigration policy and potentially justified grievances is not.

Agreed. Mojo probably shouldn't have brought it up. Happy to move on.

Actually I started about how a dozen or so callers to LBC over the last few days have been justifying the recent protests and talking supportively because 'we need to take our country back / feel proud to be british / teach our kids they shouldn't be ashamed of being white', at the same time as complaining about being called 'far-right'.

The stuff about silent majority and wokeness is all running alongside that as well it might, but wasn't my reason for posting.

Speaking of which,

Can we agree that not everyone who has concerns about immigration, wokeness, or national pride, is necessarily far-right?

No, because it depends what their actual concerns are and how they express them. If someone starts being shouty and abusive (or obviously trying to provoke an angry response from someone else by escalating) or if someone consiously and even proudly ignores objective reality while promoting easily-disproved lies and racist tropes, then you know. You have to at some point believe what you see and hear and respond to that as true.

Does anyone know what the whole 'two tier policing' thing is about? I mean I can guess, just wondering if it came from any particular group.

No, because it depends what their actual concerns are and how they express them.

Some odd reasoning here.

“Can we at least agree that x does not always equal y?”

“NO!! Because it depends on the actual values of x and y….”

:confused:

Some odd reasoning here.

“Can we at least agree that x does not always equal y?”

“NO!! Because it depends on the actual values of x and y….”

:confused:

OK, to clarify, I'd tend to assume broadly that someone keen to express 'concerns about immigration, wokeness, or national pride' probably did hold a whole suite of views that could fairly be described as 'far right', but I'll always hear someone out before committing more firmly to that assumption.

Or more rarely, before realising I'm wrong and this person simply doesn't know very much about politics and how society works but they're happy to listen and consider new facts and unfamiliar ideas.

Yeah I chuckled as I typed that last bit.

OK, to clarify, I'd tend to assume broadly that someone keen to express 'concerns about immigration, wokeness, or national pride' probably did hold a whole suite of views that could fairly be described as 'far right', but I'll always hear someone out before committing more firmly to that assumption.

Or more rarely, before realising I'm wrong and this person simply doesn't know very much about politics and how society works but they're happy to listen and consider new facts.

Yeah I chuckled as I typed that last bit.

Its worth at least trying, I've managed to sway people before just by talking about stuff. Not everyone is that deep down the racist rabbit hole and if you can catch them before they fall then you've helped.

But surely they know by now that the person who carried out the attack wasn't Muslim. I mean, I know they're thick racists, but why aren't they now focusing on (non-Muslim) Africans? It's not as though it's an intrinsically difficult step for them to take.

But surely they know by now that the person who carried out the attack wasn't Muslim. I mean, I know they're thick racists, but why aren't they now focusing on (non-Muslim) Africans? It's not as though it's an intrinsically difficult step for them to take.

Because they're bigots and thanks to politicians and the media they know they'll get a far easier ride attacking Muslims than anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom