Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

Well it's a question, are you a public schoolboy? And/or what did your dad do for a living?

Well this isnt classist at all. Broad social representation in government is important, so is mobility. 💁‍♂️

Remember, when you do this you are by extension telling working class people to know their place, and for marginalised and oppressed peoples to know their place.

Last edited:
My better self does think there's something slightly Medieval about this public shaming of rioters.

On the other hand I'm desperate to know how long this spod gets sent down for.
'Sobbing' KBB company director accused of taking part in riots
There's nothing medieval about it, look at pillories etc in enlightenment England of the c18. Until less than a century ago there were stocks out St Leonard, Shoreditch - they're in the crypt there now

The recent trials and ridicule of the rioting perps is a modern-day version of the stocks and pillory.

There is a genuine problem with rehabilitation.. these days any past crimes/scandals can be instantly googled and follow you around for life. I guess it's the argument re "right to be forgotten"..

There is a genuine problem with rehabilitation.. these days any past crimes/scandals can be instantly googled and follow you around for life. I guess it's the argument re "right to be forgotten"..
Well they can be searched for but it's not always easy to find. Two examples - child sexual abuse in the family may not be reported as revealing the culprit reveals the victim; and someone who was a regular where I used to work got jailed during the pandemic, my informant didn't know why and despite a careful search I wasn't able to find out. Sure, in these public cases which are given wide publicity it's a piece of piss. Other times it's much harder.

Well this isnt classist at all. Broad social representation in government is important, so is mobility. 💁‍♂️

Remember, when you do this you are by extension telling working class people to know their place, and for marginalised and oppressed peoples to know their place.

Ah lean-in politics, where we laud Thatcher for breaking trade unionism as a lower middle class woman, Suella Braverman as the daughter of working class immigrants shitting on working class immigrants, etc. And of course our very own "son of a toolmaker" Prime Minister.

If only there were some other method for the working class to organise and impose itself than sending individuals to be thoroughly institutionalised in the halls of the ruling class while living far removed from their origins and surrounded by the voices of the powerful eh. If only.

I wonder if the fash might attempt a strategy of having so many commit their crimes in plain sight they overwhelm the prison system and make custodial sentences less likely ...
Nah that implies a degree of organisation and forward planning that there is no evidence for. This is just a lot of angry fuckwits who got swept up in the moment and a lot of them are realising that the chickens are coming home to roost.

Ah lean-in politics, where we laud Thatcher for breaking trade unionism as a lower middle class woman, Suella Braverman as the daughter of working class immigrants shitting on working class immigrants, etc. And of course our very own "son of a toolmaker" Prime Minister.

If only there were some other method for the working class to organise and impose itself than sending individuals to be thoroughly institutionalised in the halls of the ruling class while living far removed from their origins and surrounded by the voices of the powerful eh. If only.

Hmm, off topic but I'll bite.

My SO is from a country who were oppressed through colonialism, and victims of a genocide against their peoples. Millions died during their war of independence to free themselves from colonialism and that ruling class.

She, like most in her country, is mixed (has mixed indiginous heritage). They were not benefactors of colonialism. She was privately educated in her childhood, but went to a public uni.

Please, do not insult people who break out of the class system and the affects of colonial oppression. Pointing to the right wing out there proves nothing, and my point still stands.

Your examples of right wingers who were poor or POC mean nothing. All countries and cultures have a left and right wing.

But, your post is basically telling people like my SO that they should have stayed as poor people. Please dont do this.

Last edited:

My SO is from a country who were oppressed through colonialism, and victims of a genocide against their peoples. Millions died during their war of independence to free themselves from colonialism and that ruling class.

She, like most in her country, is a Mestizo (has mixed indiginous heritage). They were not benefactors of colonialism. She was privately educated in her childhood, but went to a public uni.

Please, do not insult people who break out of the class system and the affects of colonial oppression. Pointing to the right wing out there proves nothing, and my point still stands.

Your examples of right wingers who were poor or POC mean nothing. All countries and cultures have a left and right wing.

But, your post is basically telling people like my SO that they should have stayed as poor people. Please dont do this.
No one breaks out of the class system

She, like most in her country, is a Mestizo (has mixed indiginous heritage). They were not benefactors of colonialism. She was privately educated in her childhood, but went to a public uni.

I'm not "insulting people who break out the class system", nor am I suggesting your partner should live in penury. I am outlining the problem with expecting political change to come through lean-in waffle.

Jfc this shit is why I hate your brand of smug liberalism, you can't help but be thoroughly bad faith.

He wasn't saying that at all.

But it's clearly daft to judge politicians by their identity and background rather than on their policies and what they do. Thatcher was not from an upper class background but her election was hardly a victory for the proles.

Or not the rise above your class approach but rise with you class!

I'm not "insulting people who break out the class system", nor am I suggesting your partner should live in penury. I am outlining the problem with expecting political change to come through lean-in waffle.

Jfc this shit is why I hate your brand of smug liberalism, you can't help but be thoroughly bad faith.

No its not smug liberalism and it isnt bad faith. Its candid. Try listening.

When someone pulls down someone from a marginalised background for being privately educated you are siging to a right wing tune.

If someone from a marginalised background is right wing, its because they are right wing. Not because they were privately educated.

What I'd like you to understand is that my GF has been referred to as uppity, and that comes from the same place. She can get it from both ends on this side of the world and thats incredibly frustrating.

You arent a good progressive or working class because you have been privately educated and have mobility, but you arent middle class because you dont have the right heritage to be so.

Surely its not hard to understand the frustration with that?

Part 2, I'm pretty upset, met a couple about 3 months ago at the same pub and have been having a right laugh, but I was told by one of them tonight that I'm too political (I am), eta to add not in a rude or confrontational way, and that although we are mates, at least one of the couple, is the polar opposite to me (I'm a lefty and just want everyone to get on and help each other, but that doesn't seem in vogue around here).

I hate it, I'm feeling more and more isolated and silenced.

Back from pub sorry if that doesnt make much sense, will edit in the morning if need be.
I went to a lifetime friends BBQ last month. I keep a lid on my politics generally but it seemed like all my “self made” well off friends were just bubbling under with shit vaguely right wing talking points. Alcohol eventually unleashed these and they all had a position to challenge me on, using their own (very narrow ) anecdotal experience to back up their points.

Positions which justified their current economic status and vilified everyone else

I’m at the point where I just briefly interrogate their sources, “where did you read that, in a book or on the internet” bottom line is none of them read books, have a basic understanding of politics, economics, or anything they are railing against…

And these are people who run successful businesses, lawyers, Doctors, Tradesmen, teachers

We are fooked as a country.

Eta: interestingly they were all talking about battling mental illness, anxiety, depression too much drinking etc
Mark Fisher/Capitalist Realism came to mind, but I sensed that would have lost the crowd

Last edited:
This book is worth a look for anyone wanting a deep dive on the shape of this stuff nowadays:
Particularly these chapters:
Just got round to reading these two chapters. Really interesting and think I'll probably carry on with the rest of the book.

The focus on Tommy Robinson ans the discission of authenticity is particularly interesting. Hadn't really considered the difference in how his supporters view his authenticity as opposed to his detractors. Makes sense why lots of the personal criticisms of him or calling him SYL aren't necessarily as effective with his fans as ppl might think.

Fuck me it's like talking to a brick wall over here. Imagine this one reading Marx and just freaking out that the guy's not high-fiving Bootstrap Bill.

(Anyway I've diverted the thread enough, will simmer down).

Yeah, so it appears that its deemed appropriate to question people on their educational background and parents jobs here? And to do so without acknowledgement of the consequences of doing so. Noted.

And yeah, OT so I'll shut up.

Seriously fuck off with the rewriting of what I'm saying eh? Okay now I'm done.

Serious last post, but go back and re-read your first reply to me.

You put a whole lot of words in my mouth, hence why I pulled you up in the manner I did.

You listed a bunch of right wing POC MPs, in a post colonial country there is an idea of "whiteness" and supremacy, they are broadly symptom of that.

Anyway, end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom