14Mick SchumacherGERHaas F1 Team1m20.692s
15Guanyu ZhouCHNAlfa Romeo F1 Team Orlen1m20.836s
16Alexander AlbonTHAWilliams Racing1m20.958s
17Kevin MagnussenDENHaas F1 Team1m21.025s
18Nicholas LatifiCANWilliams Racing1m21.050s
19Lance StrollCANAston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team1m21.636s
20Sebastian VettelGERAston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One TeamNo Time Set

FIA outlaws F1 safety car restart move used by Verstappen

The FIA has told Formula 1 drivers that getting alongside another car ahead of a safety car restart, as Max Verstappen has done for three races in a row, will no longer be permitted. In the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the first two rounds of the 2022 season, Verstappen has drawn alongside the lead car prior to the race resuming.

He did it on the right-hand side of Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes ahead of their final-lap shootout for the 2021 title and even briefly overtook him, which formed part of Mercedes’ protest into the controversial outcome of the race and championship. Then in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia this year, Verstappen positioned his car next to Charles Leclerc’s Ferrari ahead of safety car restarts. In Bahrain he did it on the inside on the run to the final corner, which actually compromised his own exit and left Leclerc in the clear.

In Saudi Arabia Verstappen was more clever, going to the outside of Leclerc heading into the final hairpin although Leclerc was still able to hold the lead at the restart. On Saturday at the Australian Grand Prix, FIA race director Niels Wittich issued updated event notes that included a diagram of various car positions (shown below).

1649463684991.png

The note stresses a part of Article 55.14 of the sporting regulations that states: “In order to avoid the likelihood of accidents before the safety car returns to the pits, from the point at which the lights on the car are turned out drivers must proceed at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart.” It is therefore likely that pulling alongside another car is considered a violation of “manoeuvre” part of that rule.

As the diagram shows, the FIA has stressed that only being behind another car will be considered acceptable. If a driver still wants to move to the side, they may, but drawing alongside to any degree will not be allowed.

So is this FP3 pace from Maccas real, or are they show boating somehow to please Danny RIC’s home crowd? I missed FP3 and haven’t been following the “tech news“ to know whether they have brought significant updates or just turned up the engine mode and softer tyres than the rest, etc.

So is this FP3 pace from Maccas real, or are they show boating somehow to please Danny RIC’s home crowd? I missed FP3 and haven’t been following the “tech news“ to know whether they have brought significant updates or just turned up the engine mode and softer tyres than the rest, etc.
It might be turning the wick up.

Nozza had to nurse his car home after an urgent instruction to get off the throttle and "blue one, blue one", whatever that means.

It might also be that the session was bitty for the other drivers. Lots of porpoising and adjustments. Max didn't get in a full throttle, mistake-free lap. That said, the Ferraris were described as super-smooth in the corners.

That's a long-winded way of saying I haven't a fucking clue.

:)

Yeah, sounds like they dialled it all the way up to max to see what the engine and cooling system would permit. I’ll expect to see a Ferrari or Red Bull on pole then, with Norris lucky to sneak I got the top ten.

Hope you’ve got some decent Brazilian coffee on the brew 1%er - you’re up early!
Didn't sleep yet, we went to the bar late so we didn't fall asleep in the chair at home :) The problem is we have a breakfast meeting tomorrow at 7am which we couldn't put off for a week, so will need to leave home around 6am :( but can catch up on the sleep tomorrow during the heat of the day, so we are awake for the race at 2am :thumbs:

It looks like Stroll was looking to the left expecting a faster car to come behind, and moved right off the racing line to let the faster car through.

He didn't look in his right-hand mirror and see Latifi.

Pick a Canadian to blame.

:)

I think we have really fucked up our strategy this weekend, no point in going to bed for an hour so we'll take the dog for a walk on the beach after the qualifying and try to wake up a bit and watch the sun rise. I'm to old for this staying up all night lark :) LOL

So many session stoppages in F1 these days. Not sure why it should be, but unless my memory is defective red flags used to be a rarity and now we seem to have at least five of them every weekend, across the various sessions.

Gets a bit tedious :mad:

So many session stoppages in F1 these days. Not sure why it should be, but unless my memory is defective red flags used to be a rarity and now we seem to have at least five of them every weekend, across the various sessions.

Gets a bit tedious :mad:
I'm just going to blame street circuits - those crash-crammed spawn of satan, etc. :mad:

:D

Back
Top Bottom