Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

Terrible race weekend for Aston Martin. I’m beside myself with sympathy for the bullying Lawrence Stroll, naturally. Will be interesting to find out what Verstappen’s problem was, if they tell us the truth anyway.

Wasn‘t a great race really, was it? Needed a fight for the lead or some more overtaking. Did Williams’s strategy with Albon’s pitstop make any sense? I couldn’t work out why he didn’t pit during the second safety car when Alonso and MAG did. Mind you he got a point for tenth place, so maybe they got the best from the situation.

Sainz must be so frustrated as it could easily be him at the top of the championship table now. I hope the pendulum swings back towards him. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I think it was eventful enough. There was overtaking further down the field. Spills and thrills with safety cars. Drama of leading contenders going all DNF. Three nice guys grabbing the silverware. I've certainly seen much worse.

Yes, Williams definitely missed the chance to change tyres under the safety car. No idea why.

Roll on Imola!

Am I just showing my age here but...

I'm pretty sure that "in my day" race track marshals were pretty quick to extinguish fires. Why do I keep seeing drivers having to instruct marshals to use fire extinguishers/use them themselves?

:confused:

Am I just showing my age here but...

I'm pretty sure that "in my day" race track marshals were pretty quick to extinguish fires. Why do I keep seeing drivers having to instruct marshals to use fire extinguishers/use them themselves?

:confused:
I think that "in my day" engines were much more likely to burst into flames. We'd be looking at a couple of cars per race. (We'd see engines detonate every race, with huge plumes of smoke and oil. I like to think of them as 'The Good Old Days'.)

I reckon the marshals then were much more alert for burning engines and exploding petrol tanks then, and scampered forth pretty sharpish with an extinguisher.

These days, it's a more a case of brakes and bits overheating and maybe setting alight. I mean, that's bad for the car, but there's no real danger of Mazipin** fans in row ZZ getting their eyebrows singed. So maybe marshals are more relaxed about it all. They saunter up, have a decko at the car, then send a text for help.

But the drivers today are probably even more acutely aware of the cost and scarcity of cars and their contents, so they jump in and squirt anything with a hint of smoke.

Anyway, what do I know?

** Remember him? He used to be an F1 driver until Vlad the Invader cancelled his Super-licence. Collateral damage.

Well who'd have thunk it after testing

2022 Constructor Standings

PosTeamPTS
1 Ferrari 104
2 Mercedes 65
3 Red Bull Racing RBPT 55
4 McLaren Mercedes 24
5 Alpine Renault 22
6 Alfa Romeo Ferrari 13
7 Haas Ferrari 12
8 AlphaTauri RBPT 10
9 Williams Mercedes 1
10 Aston Martin Aramco Mercedes 0

2022 Driver Standings

PosDriverNationalityCarPTS
1 Charles Leclerc MON Ferrari 71
2 George Russell GBR Mercedes 37
3 Carlos Sainz ESP Ferrari 33
4 Sergio Perez MEX Red Bull Racing RBPT 30
5 Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes 28
6 Max Verstappen NED Red Bull Racing RBPT 25
7 Esteban Ocon FRA Alpine Renault 20
8 Lando Norris GBR McLaren Mercedes 16
9 Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas Ferrari 12
10 Valtteri Bottas FIN Alfa Romeo Ferrari 12
11 Daniel Ricciardo AUS McLaren Mercedes 8
12 Pierre Gasly FRA AlphaTauri RBPT 6
13 Yuki Tsunoda JPN AlphaTauri RBPT 4
14 Fernando Alonso ESP Alpine Renault 2
15 Zhou Guanyu CHN Alfa Romeo Ferrari 1
16 Alexander Albon THA Williams Mercedes 1
17 Mick Schumacher GER Haas Ferrari 0
18 Lance Stroll CAN Aston Martin Aramco 0
19 Nico Hulkenberg GER Aston Martin Aramco

20 Nicholas Latifi CAN Williams Mercedes 0

Verstappen calls for investigation of "turtle" Aston Martin safety car

Max Verstappen has called on the FIA to investigate its use of the Aston Martin safety car after describing it as 'slow as a turtle' during Sunday's Australian Grand Prix. The Vantage was deployed for the first time this season at Melbourne's Albert Park after the use of the Mercedes GT Black Series in the first two races in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. Verstappen has heavily criticised the Vantage following the two safety car periods in Australia after incidents involving Ferrari's Carlos Sainz and Aston Martin's Sebastian Vettel. Verstappen, who was forced to retire his Red Bull for the second time this year, said: “The safety car was driving so slow. It was like a turtle. Unbelievable! With that car, to drive 140 [kph] on the back straight, where there’s not a damaged car anymore, I don’t understand why we have to drive so slow."

Verstappen, running second behind eventual race winner in Ferrari's Charles Leclerc on the two occasions the safety car was required, added: “We have to investigate. For sure, the Mercedes safety car is faster because of the extra aero. The Aston Martin is really slow. It definitely needs more grip because our tyres were stone cold. We went into the last corner, I could see Charles [Leclerc] understeering. So I’m like ‘Okay, I’ll back off a bit more’ and I had a better line. It’s pretty terrible, the way we’re driving behind the safety car at the moment.”

Mercedes' George Russell, who finished third, initially joked: "We don't have the issue with the Mercedes safety car." Russell then added: "On a serious note, the Mercedes is like five seconds quicker than the Aston Martin safety car, which is pretty substantial."

[I thought the Aston Martin Vantage safety car used the Mercedes 4.0-litre biturbo V8, which is the same ICE as the Mercedes safety car uses, I find it hard to believe it is 5 seconds a lap slower]

[I thought the Aston Martin Vantage safety car used the Mercedes 4.0-litre biturbo V8, which is the same ICE as the Mercedes safety car uses, I find it hard to believe it is 5 seconds a lap slower]
Can have all the power in the world, but if it's not got the same sort of aero/downforce it's useless. The cars need to be quick in the corners to keep the tyre temps up.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Hamilton will emulate Schumacher, he will retire after this season.

Schumacher won umpteen on the trot,then they took away the bells and whistles, and suddenly he wasn't winning anymore. Mercedes have had the best car for years, and now they don't.

I have a feeling that Hamilton will emulate Schumacher, he will retire after this season.

Schumacher won umpteen on the trot,then they took away the bells and whistles, and suddenly he wasn't winning anymore. Mercedes have had the best car for years, and now they don't.

if they cannot sort out the merc problems by Silverstone I could see that likely happening

if they can turn it around I can see he wanting that 8 championship to prove a point

Last edited:
Can have all the power in the world, but if it's not got the same sort of aero/downforce it's useless. The cars need to be quick in the corners to keep the tyre temps up.
Its just Max moaning, George was taking the piss I think. Can't see the car being 5 seconds slower than last year, drivers are always complaining the safety car is to slow.

someone inform dan ticktum he is not the biggest dumbass over privileged gobshite in motor sport anymore

seen some defending it was a roman salute (hmm really) and the kid making remarks he was supporting his own homeland
god damn the russians lost 40 million people to that war why would you make that symbol in sport of your own country

someone inform dan ticktum he is not the biggest dumbass over privileged gobshite in motor sport anymore

seen some defending it was a roman salute (hmm really) and the kid making remarks he was supporting his own homeland
god damn the russians lost 40 million people to that war why would you make that symbol in sport of your own country
He even looks a bit like Ticktum. Well I guess he will be learning a bit about international politics now. Might need some help from Mazepin’s new foundation.

Red Bull determine 'very complex' root cause of Verstappen's retirement

Helmut Marko has confirmed that Red Bull have got to the bottom of the fuel system issue that ruled Max Verstappen out of the Australian Grand Prix.
Verstappen had been running a comfortable second to Ferrari's Charles Leclerc with 20 laps remaining in the 58-lap race when he suddenly slowed and stopped his car at the side of the track exiting Turn 1. It was the second dramatic DNF for the reigning World Champion in the opening three races of the season, having also retired from second place in the season opening Bahrain Grand Prix. Both Red Bull advisor Marko and team boss Christian Horner said on Sunday evening that the suspicion for the Melbourne retirement lay in the fuel system, although it wasn't thought to be a repeat of the problem from Bahrain. Having seen Leclerc sail to a dominant victory and extend the gap between himself and Verstappen to 46 points, Marko said: "We have a tough task ahead of us."

Three days after the Australian Grand Prix, Red Bull appear to have found the root cause of Verstappen's issue. Speaking to Red Bull-owned publication Speedweek, Marko didn't go as far as explaining what the specific problem was. "We were able to clarify the cause of the fuel leak in Max's car," he said, but couldn't confirm whether the issue is likely to be rectified with a long-term fix before the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix in less than two weeks' time. "The matter is very complex. The problem is absolutely different from that of Bahrain."

Horner said the team were able to spot that an issue was developing while Verstappen was still on the track. "We could see on the data that something was wrong, and Max could smell it as well," he told media after the race. "It looks like a fuel system issue, external to the tank, so it's gone into quarantine. The parts will return to [Honda's headquarters in] Japan and we'll obviously try and understand the problem as quickly as we can."

Weeeeeeell, nowt's truly "confirmed" until the chequered flag at Imola, innit.

They hope they've got to the bottom of it... ;)
Marko has a history of leading with the gob, backing it up with bullshit, and gargling in bluster.

Until some empirical evidence of improvement appears, we can slot this into Helmut's histrionics.

Again.

🖕

hehe i hope the struggle continue until max get fustrated so the bulls take the VW option
and waste a few years again whilst the new engine is developed

and the prancing horse nick max as only they can afford his wages
and merc would see hims as the next alonso

:D

Hamilton: I´m waiting for my Brazilian passport

Formula 1‘s seven-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton said on Wednesday he wanted to spend more time in Brazil and indicated his approval of a bid to make him an honorary citizen. The Briton, knighted by his own country, was in Sao Paulo to deliver a keynote speech at an event focused on business and digital transformation. Lewis Hamilton will become an honorary citizen of Brazil should a bill in the South American country’s parliament pass, with the Briton joking that he’s waiting for his Brazilian passport. Previous keynote speakers at the VTEX Day event include former U.S. president Barack Obama, British entrepreneur Richard Branson and former Brazilian president Fernando Henrique Cardoso.

“I want to spend more time here in Brazil…It is such a beautiful culture. I´ve only been to Rio and Sao Paulo, but I want to come back for Christmas, New Year or something,” Hamilton said. “(Brazilian soccer international) Neymar invites me every year, and (pro surfer) Gabriel (Medina) invites me every year, but I never had the chance…I´m waiting for my Brazilian passport.” Hamilton revered in Brazil

A bill to make the 37-year-old an honorary citizen is pending in the lower house of the Brazilian parliament but has yet to be voted on. The move was proposed by congressman Andre Figueiredo after last year´s Brazilian Grand Prix, at which Hamilton unfurled the Brazilian flag after winning at Sao Paulo’s Interlagos circuit. The crowd chanted his name along with that of late triple world champion Ayrton Senna, a national hero and Sao Paulo native who died at Imola in 1994. The Briton, the most successful driver in the history of the sport who has always held up Senna as his boyhood idol, later carried the flag onto the podium to an ovation from the fans.

Back
Top Bottom