Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

Mick Schumacher breaks silence on Ferrari plans after Carlos Sainz new contract

MICK SCHUMACHER has broken his silence on his future at Ferrari after Carlos Sainz signed a new two-year deal with the team. Mick Schumacher has claimed Carlos Sainz’s new Ferrari contract 'doesn’t mean anything different' for his future. The young German says he believes 'opportunities will come' his way if he continues doing a good job at Haas. Schumacher is part of Ferrari's young driver programme and is tipped to one day join his father’s old team. However, Sainz’s new deal means Schuamcher is unlikely to make a move to the iconic Italian marquee until at least 2025. Reacting to Sainz’s contract, Schumacher said: “I think it was expected in many ways. Of course, Carlos did a mega job last year so he deserves it. For me, it doesn’t mean anything different than usual. I do my job here trying my best, and the opportunities will come.” AlphaTauri team principal Franz Tost has claimed Sdhumchaer will not be ready for a top drive for several more years.

Mick Schumacher breaks silence on Ferrari plans after Carlos Sainz new contract

MICK SCHUMACHER has broken his silence on his future at Ferrari after Carlos Sainz signed a new two-year deal with the team. Mick Schumacher has claimed Carlos Sainz’s new Ferrari contract 'doesn’t mean anything different' for his future. The young German says he believes 'opportunities will come' his way if he continues doing a good job at Haas. Schumacher is part of Ferrari's young driver programme and is tipped to one day join his father’s old team. However, Sainz’s new deal means Schuamcher is unlikely to make a move to the iconic Italian marquee until at least 2025. Reacting to Sainz’s contract, Schumacher said: “I think it was expected in many ways. Of course, Carlos did a mega job last year so he deserves it. For me, it doesn’t mean anything different than usual. I do my job here trying my best, and the opportunities will come.” AlphaTauri team principal Franz Tost has claimed Sdhumchaer will not be ready for a top drive for several more years.
Is he doing a “good job” at Haas though? 🤷‍♂️ He seemed to struggle to beat Mazepin and is being put in the shade by the returning Magnussen. I wonder if the most special thing about Mick is his name?

His Dad was a special talent, but you don’t get 100% of your genes from just one parent, do you?

What upgrades have F1 teams brought to Imola?

Formula 1 teams have declared their Emilia Romagna Grand Prix updates as part of the new ‘show and tell’ format introduced for the 2022 season.

Mercedes

Some small aero tweaks have been brought to the W13 for this weekend. A turning vane has been added ahead of the sidepod inlet designed to improve cooling efficiency. The aero shroud around the upper impact beam has been reprofiled, Mercedes says that it has been done to eliminate small areas of separated airflow. The edge of the diffuser nearest the rear tyre has a reduced curl, designed to reduce airflow separation in that region. There has been an accompanying tweak to the deflector endplate there. The floor is also lighter, as part of a weight-saving programme throughout the car.
1650615347373.png

Red Bull

A winglet has been added to the Red Bull’s floor ahead of the tea tray area at the front of the floor. The cooling capacity of the rear brakes has been increased. Some mechanical components, such as the brake calipers, are lighter.
1650615439061.png

Ferrari

No updates reported.

McLaren

The gurney flap on the beam wing has been trimmed for what is described as circuit-specific balance.

Alpine

Alpine F1 Imola floor

A new floor is being trialled on Fernando Alonso’s car. The floor edges have been reshaped. The re-directed airflow works in concert with revised outboard ends of the beam wing.

AlphaTauri

Quite extensive updates on this car for the team’s home race, with a new floor and front brake ducts together with re-aligned turning vanes to fully exploit the new floor. Part of the leading edge of the floor has been increased in height which the team claims gives more load across
the full range of ride heights. There’s a cut-out in the diffuser sidewall to exploit the changes to the airflow from the revised floor edge. The front brake duct changes are to give better control of the front wheel wake.

Aston Martin
The halo winglet last raced in Bahrain has been re-introduced as the emphasis of this track is downforce rather than low drag. The changed length of the mirror-sidepod stay is part of this package. The floor mounting stays have been moved forward in an attempt at reducing the porpoising.

Williams

The rear wing has been revised with a different loading between mainplane and flap to give more efficient downforce. The top wishbone forward leg has a revised shrouding for aero benefit. There is a revised front brake duct arrangement, reducing the cooling effect for the expected weather conditions.

Alfa Romeo
The engine cover and coke bottle area have been re-profiled to improve the airflow ahead of the rear tyres, enhancing diffuser performance. The geometry around the front of the floor has also been modified to improve airflow. The rear brake ducts have been redesigned for more efficient cooling and enhanced aero.

Haas

A revised floor edge to address the porpoising issue.

Did anything much happen in the last five mins? I switched off when the red flag happened, assuming that I would not be missing much.

Emilia Romagna FP1

A different continent, but the same story: Ferrari topped the timesheets in practice ahead of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, with Charles Leclerc 1.4sec faster than third-placed Max Verstappen. Both Ferrari-powered Haas cars finished in the top five, but Mercedes appeared to lack pace and stability once again: George Russell was tenth fastest, while Lewis Hamilton was only ranked 18th. The first European round of the season brought wet conditions at Imola, with rain still falling at the start of the only practice session before qualifying. This weekend’s sprint race mean cars go straight into qualifying and parc fermé conditions but despite the limited time to gain data, drivers were reticent to leave the pit garage and head into the Imola rain. Valtteri Bottas headed out first on full wet tyres, fishtailing along the cold, slippery track, followed by the Haas cars. It wasn’t long before the conditions claimed their first victims.
Charles Leclerc span first at Turn 14 in the Variante Alta chicane. In quick succession, Kevin Magnussen, Nicholas Latifi, Alex Albon, Lando Norris and Sainz also had off-track excursions.

The right-handers at Acque Minerale were catching some out, with many others struggling with the run down to Turn 17 at Rivazza. With just over 20 minutes gone, Sainz estimated that the track needed another 10min of running before it was ready for intermediate tyres, his team-mate illustrating how treacherous it remained again with a spin on the white line at Acque Minerale again. The list of off-track excursions continued: Esteban Ocon clattering across the gravel track at Rivazza, crunching the older-spec floor on his Alpine, rather than the upgraded version given to Fernando Alonso. The rain reappeared 25min into the session, with most cars back into the pits, but Vettel was soon out, braving a run on intermediate tyres. He was immediately quicker, going fifth fastest, compared with the rest of the grid running full wets.

Halfway through practice, Perez headed the timesheets, but there were just two-tenths of a second covering the top three:

1 Sergio Perez, Red Bull, 1min 35.476sec
2 Charles Leclerc, Ferrari, 1min 35.629sec
3 Carlos Sainz, Ferrari, 1min 35.753sec
4 Max Verstappen, Red Bull, 1min 36.158sec
5 Sebastian Vettel, Aston Martin, 1min 36.537sec

With a clear racing line established, more intermediate runners streamed onto the circuit and up the timesheets. Lando Norris posted a time 0.1sec slower than Perez’s full-wet lap, Soon afterwards Carlos Sainz, taking a new engine this weekend after crashing out of the Australian Grand Prix, went 1.7sec faster than the Red Bull on intermediates. Magnussen continued to be caught out by Turn 17, and crunched across the gravel, as Sainz continued to up the pace, posting a 1min 32.606sec lap, pipped shortly afterwards by Leclerc who was less than a tenth quicker a lap after spinning again. The Ferrari drivers continued trading times, as the track dried, while Magnussen managed to stay on track to show the Haas’s pace. He was fourth fastest behind Verstappen with 10min to go.

Others were still finding it difficult to stay on track: Verstappen, Gasly, Perez and Vettel all leaving the asphalt, but continuing to run. Lando Norris didn’t escape quite so easily, spinning into the gravel at Acque Minerale and having to reverse out the red flag was waved as he waited for a gap. All but five cars headed out for the quickly restarted session, with just three minutes left. It was enough time for Acque Minerale to claim a final victim, as Valtteri Bottas ran over the gravel and beaching himself. Fortunately for the Finn, he missed the wall by just a few inches: the Alfa lives to fight in qualifying.

2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix First Practice timing

DriverTeamFastest lap
1Charles LeclercFerrari1min 29.402sec
2Carlos SainzFerrari+0.877sec
3Max VerstappenRed Bull+1.465sec
4Kevin MagnussenHaas+3.037sec
5Mich SchumacherHaas+3.586sec
6Sergio PerezRed Bull+3.610sec
7Fernando AlonsoAlpine+3.758sec
8Sebastian VettelAston Martin+3.963sec
9Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+4.209sec
10George RussellMercedes+4.860sec
11Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo+5.213sec
12Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+5.702sec
13Esteban OconAlpine+6.018sec
14Lando NorrisMcLaren+6.100sec
15Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+6.223sec
16Lance StrollAston Martin+6.631sec
17Alex AlbonWilliams+7.059sec
18Lewis HamiltonMercedes+7.062sec
19Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo+8.048sec
20Nicholas LatifiWilliams+10.296sec

Russell broke F1 floor stay due to Mercedes porpoising in Imola FP1

Toto Wolff says Mercedes’ porpoising problem during first practice for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix was so severe that a floor stay broke on George Russell’s Formula 1 car. The Mercedes motorsport boss also revealed the bouncing was so bad around Imola that his drivers were unable to traverse the main straight without lifting off before the Tamburello chicane braking zone, but he said problems with tyre warm-up were behind the Silver Arrows’ massive gap to Ferrari in FP1.

Russell’s car was spotted porpoising heavily as he approached Tamburello during the Friday afternoon practice running the W13 bouncing so hard that sparks flew from it each time it hit the ground. Speaking to Sky Sports F1 after FP1 had finished, Wolff said “we had George bouncing so much that he actually broke the stay on the floor. You can’t drive [down the main straight] – you have to lift on the straight.” Mercedes fitted the metal floor stays to the W13 for the first time at the end of Barcelona testing, which it topped before introducing a drastically different design for the following second test in Bahrain that has so far been off the ultimate pace. At the time in Spain these parts were not allowed by the regulations, but the FIA subsequently allowed their inclusion to designs. The stays attempt to stiffen the floors that are flexing and stalling at top speed, which leads to porpoising. Wolff said of Russell and Lewis Hamilton’s Imola-specific experience so far with porpoising, which has also forced them to back off and lose lap time at the other circuits F1 has visited so far in 2022, that: “They are trained – I have never experienced bouncing like this in my life. But it’s clearly not drivable.”

The championship-leading Ferrari squad is another team that is still encountering severe porpoising after the issue first appeared in the various private team shakedown sessions that preceded winter testing, but unlike Mercedes the Scuderia is not losing pace as a result of having to make set-up changes and can seemingly cope with the bouncing, even if it appears almost comically bad on the red cars at times. “Their porpoising looks a little bit different to ours,” Wolff assessed. “Our frequency looks higher and the main difference is that when they hit the brakes, their car stabilises – ours [does] not.”

Russell finished almost five seconds slower than pacesetter Charles Leclerc in FP1, with Hamilton another two seconds further back from the Ferrari driver and the pair down in 10th and 18th respectively. But Wolff reckons the large gaps to the championship leader in practice were “all about getting grip into the tyre [with] temperature”. He added: “The Ferraris seemed to unlock that, everybody else is pretty much all over the place. Feedback that we are getting from Lewis and George is that there’s literally zero grip and that these gaps point to the tyres. When you are able to unlock that issue, you will do a jump and where that will end, I don’t know. I think there will be quite some discrepancies in performance and you could see a team [really behind in qualifying later on Friday]. We were five second off the pace it’s not the car and not the driver.”

Regarding the gap between the Mercedes cars in FP1 where Hamilton in particular struggled for grip on the intermediate tyre Wolff said there were no significant set up differences between the two W13s, other than “a little bit of a difference in rear wings” and “just different tyre pressures”.

I think they are referring to him being 18th in FP1
After seeing hoW he struggled in Q1, seems like that might be their true pace. No wonder Lewis was happy with his finishing positions in those first races.
How have Merc lost their way so badly?!

After seeing hoW he struggled in Q1, seems like that might be their true pace. No wonder Lewis was happy with his finishing positions in those first races.
How have Merc lost their way so badly?!
I think they'll sort out the porpoising at some point, its just a matter of time. The car is really fast so once they sort that out I think they'll be back at the front

Back
Top Bottom