Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

EPL Transfers 2022/23

The39thStep

Urban critical thinker
Thread for quick observations comments on the above:

Darwin Nunes- had a very good first year at Benfica after playing in the Spanish second Division. Lots of potential but Benifica know how to squeeze money out of clubs who buy their players on one good season. A gamble at £65m for me but if it pays off it will cost up to £144m but to be fair that's a haul of trophies and goals.

Viera from Porto to Arsenal- £34m plus addons to around £45. Good buy for that money , quick, tenacious and well motivated although he wont be getting the same amount of free kicks for being 'fouled' that he clocks up at Porto

Spurs- Ivan Persic ( free) and Bissouma £25m plus addons , two good bargain signings although Persic needs to stay fit .

Man City - Haaland (£54m? plus substantial wages) Will he bang goals in as easy as in the Bundesliga? Will he not quite fit in to Pep's complex plans and become a super sub like Edin Dzeko?

Manchester City almost certainly going to sell Gabriel Jesus, and may sell both Raheem Sterling and Bernado Silva. I think the last one would be a huge mistake for Pep.

Darwin Nunes- had a very good first year at Benfica after playing in the Spanish second Division. Lots of potential but Benifica know how to squeeze money out of clubs who buy their players on one good season. A gamble at £65m for me but if it pays off it will cost up to £144m but to be fair that's a haul of trophies and goals.
Is he Mané's replacement? Will Jones get much game time, or is he deeper lying?

Man City - Haaland (£54m? plus substantial wages) Will he bang goals in as easy as in the Bundesliga? Will he not quite fit in to Pep's complex plans and become a super sub like Edin Dzeko?
Christ, just realised that Cucurella cost City about £9m more than Haaland!

With the greatest of respect to Cucurella, but if anything makes a mockery of the idea that transfer price is a reliable indicator of how good a player is...

(£60m is also four times what Shearer went for in '96 :D )

Haaland had a release clause though, something we don't see too often in England. Without that and with a couple more years on his contract we'd be looking at three times what City paid for him.

Christ, just realised that Cucurella cost City about £9m more than Haaland!

With the greatest of respect to Cucurella, but if anything makes a mockery of the idea that transfer price is a reliable indicator of how good a player is...

(£60m is also four times what Shearer went for in '96 :D )

City paid a reported £52m for Mendy and United £50m I think for Wan Bissaka.
Cancelo cost more but he's been good.

Back
Top Bottom