Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v South Africa Test Series

Broad's taken more wickets than Onions, at a better average and a better economy.
Which wickets has he taken, though, and how well has he bowled? Over the three matches, Onions has bowled better than Broad imo.

Anyway, I wouldn't have dropped Broad either. I would have gone in unchanged – 1-0 up, confidence very high, playing an unchanged 11 for the whole series makes sense.

It seems that Anderson/Sidey were getting enough movement that if the conditions remain the same, SA could be bundled out for 200. Could all change, though. A couple of sessions of toil, and England could wilt. It could be a big innings defeat on its way.

well this is all going jolly well isn't it.

anyone with a tv confim just how terrible the smith not out decision was?

Medium.

There was a maHOOsive sound, which apparently the 3rd umpire didn't get to hear, because he was watching SABC pictures instead of Sky. Whether he would have reversed the decision even with the sound is another matter. Another reason to insist upon Hot Spot and Snicko if you're going to have referrals. Without those techs the referrals are much more useful to the batsman than they'll ever be to the bowlers.

Joburg rain storms at this time of year tend to be intese but not last more than an hour or two (half an hour is more usual). The Wanderers has great drainage.

What's the light like? Anyone watching telly pictures?
Cricinfo:
Right, after that cracking commentary debut from Liam, it's Sahil to take us through to the close. For those of you who don't believe in miracles, just look at the Wanderers now. It is a picture, bright and lush and another world away from the drenched gloom of earlier. Sidebottom to continue.

i haven't actually seen that incident, but i have seen some argument, that although the foot was raised, it was partially over the line. like i say, i haven't seen it but at least there seems to be an argument there. this latest one is just pure incompetence on harper's part

Whatever SA manage to get in this innings, we have to match it to leave them needing 175 at least batting last. Time for KP to turn up! We'll have to bowl them out first of course....

I'll admit to missing the first session of this game, fucking up the time differences mentally. When I finally flicked over South Africa were on a smattering of runs and there was a rain delay. It took a little while to realise that England had been bowled out. Doh. It's not been wonderful watching since.

Did Strauss choose to bat first? Seem a bloody strange to downright silly decision imo. Better to put the pressure on South Africa and their usual quirks of patient run accumulation and declaring too late and safely.

Well Dale Steyn seems to have recovered from his injury and found a bit of form. Bowled the odd usefull spell and chipped in with a couple of wickets. Morkels not too bad either.

I wonder if you can nominate The Wanderers as man of the match? A pitch that has looked like you can get 40 test wickets out on it without being unplayable while offering batsmen who apply themselves the opertunity to get a decent score and a drainage system that has shrugged off some pretty heavy rain to keep the match alive.

Actualy make it hero and villian of the match, hero the stadium villian the TV umpire Daryl Hair Harper.

Man of the series is going to be between Smith and Swann, but I reckon it should go to Swann as Smiths declarations have been too conservative and cost his team an outright win.

Back
Top Bottom