Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

Mark Wood was looking v weary by the end. I hope Stokes doesn’t squander his mate. He could do with sitting on his arse all day tomorrow. Hopefully the batters can do him the favour.

I still think our Bazball successes are a series of flukes, and none of it matters if we don't win this summer...But...If nothing else, it's given us phenomenal sporting stories. Like 8 consecutive Atherton vs Donald's.

Other test matches are proving to be more than just selection trials for the Ashes!

I think it's gone a bit beyond 'fluke' now. Even conceding 300 runs today would normally have seen like a mountain to climb under the previous leadership. I can see them rattling off 400 tomorrow.

And I think 'a series of flukes' is a bit of a contradiction in terms.

I think it's gone a bit beyond 'fluke' now. Even conceding 300 runs today would normally have seen like a mountain to climb under the previous leadership. I can see them rattling off 400 tomorrow.

Y'all acting like you have forgotten the mental burning effigy we all collectively built when (arguably Englands greatest Bazball player pre-baz) Peterson came in at 30-3 and made sure we were 34-4 shortly after, at a delicate point in the match where we really didn't want to be 34-4.

I think I'm just harboring mental scars and comparing this strategy to the Mike Tyson view that "everyone has a good plan until they get punched in the face/starc takes out your openers leg stump".

For critiques of this approach, I had such pessimism in 2010, and it seemed to have worked wonders!

Only linguistically. The concept of us having our share of flukes in a short space of time (following a fairly barren run of fortune) absolutely checks out!

Ted Striker I was reading a book on PTSD today and the learned author recommends yoga and karate. As English cricket fans we carry some deep and old scars, maybe some hippy stretching and kung fu is the way forward.

Oh it's gonna fail at times, and at some point spectacularly (prolly against the fucking Aussies). I just hope they hold their nerve and dont change course.

Crawley. Well, what to do about that situation.

I still think our Bazball successes are a series of flukes, and none of it matters if we don't win this summer...But...If nothing else, it's given us phenomenal sporting stories. Like 8 consecutive Atherton vs Donald's.

Other test matches are proving to be more than just selection trials for the Ashes!
I watch cricket, or any sport, for entertainment. I would rather watch a team have a hearty go - with the resulting glorious victorious and tragic defeats than pursue bland technical success through high percentage, low risk play.

I watch cricket, or any sport, for entertainment. I would rather watch a team have a hearty go - with the resulting glorious victorious and tragic defeats than pursue bland technical success through high percentage, low risk play.

To be clear, I'm not necessarily saying Bazball is a bad thing - I'm merely questioning the assumption it's the answer to our gaping Australia problem.

Actually, I do like it. The stories it has generated has almost been too much - every match an epic to go down in history. What's not to like?

But the bland technical success of diligently seeing off the new ball (for example) is just as much a part of cricket as hearing Song 2 when a short boundary delivers another 6. Balance, grasshopper, as my yoga/karate teacher might say.

Crawley. Well, what to do about that situation.

It’s down to what happens in NZ (I hope). Those wickets are going to be more like the UK and their bowlers more like the Aussies. If he prospers there, he’ll get a full Ashes series no doubt.

Should be a lead of around 100 by the end of play. Bat till lunch for a lead of 200 and well on the way to a clean sweep.

And yeh, Brook is a machine. So simple.

Should be a lead of around 100 by the end of play. Bat till lunch for a lead of 200 and well on the way to a clean sweep.

Ambitious. Unrealistic. They only have 5 wickets left, and as soon as one goes that's a fairly long tail. Only thing is Pakistan seem to only have 2 bowlers who have bowled 50 of the 60 overs. They must be tired, or getting tired.

Decent effort in the end and another important innings from Foakes. He's done that a few times now. Excellent batter to have coming in at 7.

Meanwhile a two day debacle on a green top in Brisbane. Not good for test cricket to have a pitch like that. It was very very very green.

Not sure that a lead of fifty and all being out with an hour left of play is really comparable to a lead of 200 and batting all the way through to lunch on the next day!

At least it allowed Wood to have 2 sleeps of recovery before bowling again. Plus what ever is up with Robinson and his flabby gut another day may help.

It's a spinners pitch. Nothing for the quicks at all. Nauman and Abrar bowled 65 of the 82 overs in England's innings.

It's a spinners pitch. Nothing for the quicks at all. Nauman and Abrar bowled 65 of the 82 overs in England's innings.

It is but Woods 95mph+ sidelines the state of any pitch. Hence his stellar record abroad. He’s gunna put a shift in tomorrow, if fit.

Stokes may opt for an initial barrage of short stuff too, early on to scuff the ball up for reversing like Wasim and Waqar did back in the day. He hasn’t bowled this test or the last iirc. So, we may be in for some heroics with the ball from him yet.

But we will see.

Wood on 2nd over of the day and surprise surprise he’s bowling bouncers.

Shan Masood is fucking excellent but he’s not in love with being peppered.

So England currently have a 23 year old who averages 80 with the bat and an 18 year old who has 5 wickets(so far) in his first test. Fuck.

Last edited:
I can't remember seeing a stadium this empty for a test match.

Apparently the stands are delapidated and filthy, which isn't helping.

Crowd's not been that bad from what I've seen in the highlights. The crowd has been concentrated in the areas with actual seats. Been a few thousand in.

Pakistan spectator culture is a bit different from ours as well. For example, people will turn up to watch Babar bat and leave when he gets out. Plus it's been a feature of the series that there's been no-one there for the first session, then it fills up.

That said, the stadium looks pretty horrible.

Back
Top Bottom