Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

The amazing thing is that their only truly world class batsman (leaving aside Bairstow earlier in the season) has been out of form for most of this and is basically playing as a spinning all rounder 😃

The amazing thing is that their only truly world class batsman (leaving aside Bairstow earlier in the season) has been out of form for most of this and is basically playing as a spinning all rounder 😃
tbh they don't really have a world-class spinner either. Certainly not someone of the Graeme Swann class. They're taking wickets by force of will as much as anything, but you've got to credit Stokes for his field placings. Batter mistakes are being made to pay.

And I would highlight the achievements of their seamers. Anderson, Robinson and Wood have all been superb and totally outplayed their counterparts in the Pakistan team. In unhelpful conditions, they've found ways to discomfort batters. Between them, they've taken 25 wickets at 20 in this series.

it's also the bowling. All-out attack at all times

Plus it's far away from being anything like a great attack. Leach is barely above average, Wood is fast but there's only 1 of him, Robinson is very good but can't be called great yet. Yes I know there's Jimmy (and the injured lot). A lot of it has to be taking wickets by mind games and great tactics.

Stokes eh? Who knew?

Edit. Hadn't read your post above littlebabyjesus

Stokes eh? Who knew?
Was listening to the TMS informal review of the year earlier today, and they were all gracious enough to admit that they didn't see any of this coming. Surely nobody did, except perhaps McCullum. They replayed part of McCullum's very first interview as coach and it has aged really very well indeed. He spoke about Stokes being allowed 'to fly'. And my how that has happened.

His own performances haven't been outstanding, but his captaincy has been unbelievable really, right down to the immediate thumbs-up to Brook yesterday when he was run out. Run out by a rookie when you were just getting going? What's your instant reaction? Is it to support him? Of course we can all say that said reaction makes logical sense, but how many would have the emotional calmness and presence of mind to actually do it.

For all its seemingly frantic nature, there is an underlying Zen-like quality to it all. (There's probably a wanky Guardian article in that somewhere - 'Zen and the art of Test match captaincy'. ;))

Last edited:
Was listening to the TMS informal review of the year earlier today, and they were all gracious enough to admit that they didn't see any of this coming. Surely nobody did, except perhaps McCullum. They replayed part of McCullum's very first interview as coach and it has aged really very well indeed. He spoke about Stokes being allowed 'to fly'. And my how that has happened.

His own performances haven't been outstanding, but his captaincy has been unbelievable really, right down to the immediate thumbs-up to Brook yesterday when he was run out. Run out by a rookie when you were just getting going? What's your instant reaction? Is it to support him? Of course we can all say that said reaction makes logical sense, but how many would have the emotional calmness and presence of mind to actually do it.

For all its seemingly frantic nature, there is an underlying Zen-like quality to it all. (There's probably a wanky Guardian article in that somewhere - 'Zen and the art of Test match captaincy'. ;))

Baz has simply transferred his IPL approach to the test arena. Apparently he doesn't actually do any of the throwdowns or anything coaching wise, just talks to each player individually. Very Zen indeed.

Wrapped up easily.

Two more points on Stokes as leader.

Genuinely puzzled by the question about it being special to be out there at the end - 'We won, doesn't matter who is out there at the end'

And gives the trophy to Rehan then stands at the back for the photo.

It is leadership through humility and example. The best kind.

Wrapped up easily.

Genuinely puzzled by the question about it being special to be out there at the end - 'We won, doesn't matter who is out there at the end'

It's really impressive. I've got to admit (well you could read it on this thread if you could be bothered) I didn't think he'd do that well and one of the reasons was that I didn't think he actually wanted the job. In actual fact though although I don't think he wanted to push himself at the expense of Root in particular, that's one of his strengths isn't it - there's a genuine focus on the team as a whole not him as captain.

I don't think you can feel confident that Stokes as captain will be a great improvement can you. He's not got a huge amount of captaincy credentials, he carries a massive amount of weight already, and he's still massively hamstrung by the lack of actual test quality batsmen. And he doesn't really seem to be that keen on the job. There wasn't anywhere else to go through was there, there weren't any other even vaguely credible candidates.

This was me in April. Top insight there then.

Although I don't think there were many people predicting anything even slightly like what's happened.

It's slightly bizarre that he wasn't captain earlier. I mean he's obviously a natural leader, and Root is obviously not.

There is so much history and expectation behind making the best batter the captain usually. And usually it ruins their batting and they are a shit captain.

I love how it's all about fun in the England camp. Nothing worse than entertainment being put on by stressed, dead eyed, anxious people, constantly looking over their shoulder.

Last edited:
Wrapped up easily.

Another fluke :hmm:

There is so much history and expectation behind making the best batter the captain usually. And usually it ruins their batting and they are a shit captain.

I love how it's all about fun in the England camp. Nothing worse than entertainment being but on by stressed, dead eyed, anxious people, constantly looking over their shoulder.
I feel a bit for the ones who've just missed out. I'm pretty sure Haseeb Hameed would have benefited from this setup. He spent the whole of last summer showing that he can score at a decent rate in both the CC and the 50-over cup. He was the archetypal scared of failing batter by the end of his time for England. Confidence shot to pieces. He'd have done very well in Pakistan, I think.

It's really impressive. I've got to admit (well you could read it on this thread if you could be bothered) I didn't think he'd do that well and one of the reasons was that I didn't think he actually wanted the job. In actual fact though although I don't think he wanted to push himself at the expense of Root in particular, that's one of his strengths isn't it - there's a genuine focus on the team as a whole not him as captain.
Did you hear the interview with Stokes broadcast during the lunch break on Sunday? He touches on that subject, of wanting the captaincy, amongst other things.

Really interesting and worth a listen if you didn't catch it. Link here

This was me in April. Top insight there then.

Although I don't think there were many people predicting anything even slightly like what's happened.

I wanted Broad to be captain. I’m pretty sure he would have been better than Root (anyone would have been tbh) but what an extreme turn around.

Playing NZ in NZ will be interesting. Especially if all their seamers are fit and firing. Kyle Jamieson will be a real test. If they can do it in their backyard Oz in the UK will start to make sense.

There's more to test cricket than the Ashes. But Aus haven't won a series in England for more than 20 years. It's competing in Aus that's the tricky bit.

Not to mention India in India. The incurable romantic in me hopes bazball will revive the West Indies test cricket. If they can stop trying to play percentage cricket and throw caution to the wind and start playing with the flair of old it would warm the heart of this jaded old fuck.

I wanted Broad to be captain. I’m pretty sure he would have been better than Root (anyone would have been tbh) but what an extreme turn around.

Playing NZ in NZ will be interesting. Especially if all their seamers are fit and firing. Kyle Jamieson will be a real test. If they can do it in their backyard Oz in the UK will start to make sense.

I don't think NZ will be a problem. Hasn't Boult retired from test cricket? He's their main weapon so I should think they'll be swept aside.

I don't think NZ will be a problem. Hasn't Boult retired from test cricket? He's their main weapon so I should think they'll be swept aside.
He refused a central contract. He's not retired, but he may choose not to play/not be selected.

Neil Wagner looked like he might be nearing the end in the summer, so that's a problem as well.

I'll be interested to see how they respond to bazball with their pitches. I think spicy pitches will be the way to go, but of course, England's bowlers will also love that. The toss can be important in NZ. Often you win the toss and bowl first as it flattens out later on. Also one match is day/night, stupidly, so all kinds of variables with that. (I don't think day/night test cricket works.)

It's an important tour in and of itself as well. England last won in NZ in 2008.

Well, I wouldn't be booking tickets for the 4th day if I was in NZ (and not even the third for the day night one). I don't follow NZ cricket so hopefully they've got some surprises who have cropped up though.

England have a lot of depth in the sort of bowlers who you'd expect to do well in NZ now haven't they. If they can get a few off the injury list then there's a pretty impressive list to choose from. They should do more than fine on that front. Not long ago you'd have thought the batting would get rolled over but not so much now.

Definitely agree it needs to be treated as important for its own sake. The whole 'we're just building for the Ashes' stuff has been quite damaging I think.

Kyle Jamieson is the big worry with an average of 19. We got lucky last summer with him getting injured.

England have a lot of depth in the sort of bowlers who you'd expect to do well in NZ now haven't they. If they can get a few off the injury list then there's a pretty impressive list to choose from. They should do more than fine on that front. Not long ago you'd have thought the batting would get rolled over but not so much now.

Definitely agree it needs to be treated as important for its own sake. The whole 'we're just building for the Ashes' stuff has been quite damaging I think.
McCullum refused even to talk about it in interviews today. He is said to have a refreshingly simple criterion for selection - the best team to win this match.

Broad was asked in the Sky studio whether he could get back into the side and he was surprisingly nonplussed about his chances. Maybe he's already been assured he will or assured a massive contract with Sky as a pundit.

Just saw this on Twitter. Ian Bell looks a bit like he's scared he's about to be chinned there.

JS70196906.jpg

Back
Top Bottom