Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v South Africa Test Series

We've basically played the same as the rest of the series, and SA have massively upped their game. They deserve to at least draw the series.

Script-writers have got this all wrong. This should have been the third Test, with the fourth being a tense draw to keep the series level. :mad:

Series batting averages for England.

JM Anderson 14.00
IR Bell 44.71
SCJ Broad 10.85
PD Collingwood 57.33
AN Cook 41.00
KP Pietersen 25.28
MJ Prior 22.57
RJ Sidebottom 7.00
AJ Strauss 24.28
GP Swann 28.50
IJL Trott 27.14

(that was taken from cricinfo and only has the players playing in the fourth test so onions is missing)

Normal service has resumed. Now we need to sort out Prince/Duminy's batting (certainly not his bowling!)/maybe the spinner.

Where does England look for improvement?

Normal service has resumed. Now we need to sort out Prince/Duminy's batting (certainly not his bowling!)/maybe the spinner.

Their strip. They're sartorially strangled by wearing those whites rather than creams and proper jumpers..

Oh and we can swap Trott for Morkel or Steyn and that would even it up, as we need a fast back of a length or strike bowler. I'm sure they must have grandparents or could come and live in England for a couple of years..

On the batting, Strauss and Pietersen had poor returns. Trott fell away. Collingwoods resilience was a dominant presence by him and by then by the team which bodes well

Normal service is S Africa's failure to win a home series. It has indeed been resumed.

We need a proper mean and nasty fast bowler, as pointed out.

We've basically played the same as the rest of the series, and SA have massively upped their game. They deserve to at least draw the series.

I disagree that we played the same, we showed alot more fighting spirit than this test through out the series.

Why the long faces? We drew a series, away, to one of the best Test sides in the world. We hot hammered in the fourth, it was bound to happen at one point, but meted out an equivalent hammering in the second. We're short of flair, can't match S Africa for that, but we played as a team, played hard to avoid defeat in the first and third when other teams would have crumbled. Our bowling needs consistency. We need Jimmy to turn up for more Tests than he does at present, Pietersen needs form (and he'll find it), Trott might not be around too long, and Prior needs to start scoring runs regularly again. Other than that, England deserve at least a clap on the back.

And we have the Ashes :cool:

Why the long faces? We drew a series, away, to one of the best Test sides in the world. We hot hammered in the fourth, it was bound to happen at one point, but meted out an equivalent hammering in the second. We're short of flair, can't match S Africa for that, but we played as a team, played hard to avoid defeat in the first and third when other teams would have crumbled. Our bowling needs consistency. We need Jimmy to turn up for more Tests than he does at present, Pietersen needs form (and he'll find it), Trott might not be around too long, and Prior needs to start scoring runs regularly again. Other than that, England deserve at least a clap on the back.

And we have the Ashes :cool:

Yeah i'm pretty positive about it all just abit annoyed we showed no fight whatsoever in the final test and dropped Onions aswell. Been a good few months.

Am I the only one feeling a sense of schadenfreude at Pietersen's decline? Watch that average spiral down kp... :D You 'genius'...

Well at the end of this series we learn that English bowlers are only ever a threat in helpfull conditions, but when the ball is swinging they can be lethal, that South Africans are tacticaly conservative and Darrel Harper has some failings as an umpire.

We did also learn is that Ian Bell and Alistair Cook have finally found there footing at the top level. That spinners other than Shane Warne can succeed in South Africa and the never ending supply of South African quicks is yet to dry up.

Englands batting largely failed but Strauss and KP seem to be having temporary dips in form, Trott is still new and looks are genuine prospect. The lower order has also batted better and will likely bat better again (especialy Broad and Prior). For the bowlers Broad looked at his most dangerous when bowling accurate medium pace rather than trying to bowl short and fast. Swann now has to work hard to ensure he does not get worked out but otherwise they will always struggle abroad.

The South Africans were harmed by Kallis and Steyn still recovering from injuries early in the series, and Ntinis loss of form. But Morkel, Steyn and Parnell look like they may become the pace attack of the next couple years. South Africans have long believed that pacemen hunt in pairs, (Donald\ de Villers, Donald\ Pollock, Pollock\ Ntini and so on). Steyn and Morkel are a hunting pair. Batting they are an opener short. Prince is a very usefull middle order batter, not an opener. Duminy had a bad series but he has natural balance and poise and is very likely to be a big part of their future. I think Amlas best years are ahead of him and may be replacement for Kallis runs in the future. He is also likely to be captain in the future. The backbone of the team remains Kallis, Smith Boucher. Disliked and even hated by the English, unimagenative, dour and arrogant but by hell you could break rocks on the resilliance of their personalities. Smith especially, his captaincy has flaws but his personal desire to drag his team forward with the sheer force of his will is palpable. After his second innings in Cape Town I almost liked the bastard.

England are almost good enough to challange for a top three place permenantly but need to find more bowling bite.
The South Africans need to find the courage to risk failing to aim for number one.

I will add this criticism of Enlgand. I think this series have proven that Bell and Cook were brought in to international cricket several seasons too early. I think that the performance of Swann has shown that players can still mature in the counties and that Englands selectors have been far to eager to find the next great player and thrown youngsters into the firepits of test cricket then discarded them if they did not adapt quick enough. More senior players (including those judged to have failed as younger batsmen) should have been given Bell and Cooks places while they were able to grow in the counties.

England have too big a phobia about picking players in their late twenties and even early thirties who are not established internationals and instead trying to find a 23 year old who is going to be the next big thing.

i'll be interested to see what pointers if any are in the squad for Bangladesh.

I assume Strauss is not going (and maybe Collingwood plus ??).

Does Carberry come in for Strauss or do they move the middle order up one with Pietersen taking on number 3 at last?

Do they bat 5 over there and bring in Rashid (surely not Monty) for a batter?

Do they accept that Onions/Sidebottom do not provide enough variety with Anderson in the attack and pick Saj Mahmood? Finn? Is there someone?

With tests now against a weak Pakistan at home and Bangladesh home and away before the Ashes do they experiment with the sort of player thery might need?

I hope they're going to be pragmatic and long-term and blood some players sooner rather than later.

I will add this criticism of Enlgand. I think this series have proven that Bell and Cook were brought in to international cricket several seasons too early. I think that the performance of Swann has shown that players can still mature in the counties and that Englands selectors have been far to eager to find the next great player and thrown youngsters into the firepits of test cricket then discarded them if they did not adapt quick enough. More senior players (including those judged to have failed as younger batsmen) should have been given Bell and Cooks places while they were able to grow in the counties.

England have too big a phobia about picking players in their late twenties and even early thirties who are not established internationals and instead trying to find a 23 year old who is going to be the next big thing.

I wouldn't say Cook came into the team too early. He came in at a time when Tresco went out, so we needed an opener or number 3, as Vaughan was still around, but still crocked most of the time. There were few other choices. Rob Key of course was still in the doghouse and Cooky had been talked about for a couple of seasons before his debut as the future. He also had a magnificent start to his career too. But in many cases, see Phil Hughes and JP Duminy even Bopara, they get found out in due course and then have to re-group after the traditional slump in form.

i'll be interested to see what pointers if any are in the squad for Bangladesh.

I assume Strauss is not going (and maybe Collingwood plus ??).

Does Carberry come in for Strauss or do they move the middle order up one with Pietersen taking on number 3 at last?

Do they bat 5 over there and bring in Rashid (surely not Monty) for a batter?

Do they accept that Onions/Sidebottom do not provide enough variety with Anderson in the attack and pick Saj Mahmood? Finn? Is there someone?

With tests now against a weak Pakistan at home and Bangladesh home and away before the Ashes do they experiment with the sort of player thery might need?

I hope they're going to be pragmatic and long-term and blood some players sooner rather than later.

Well, we'll see how it goes in Bangla. Of course they will probably lose after getting in such a good position, but the Bangla boys have done very well against India yesterday, reducing the number 1's to 213/8 overnight.

If India struggle against them, which to be fair is far fetched, then England might not gamble just in case they fuck up in Bangladesh and lose morale before the Ashes.

It will be very interesting to see who will play in Australia, just remember how many changes there were last time from the previous Ashes.

I'm glad Colly had a good series. It's refreshing not having his name constantly and unfairly mentioned for the chop.

I'm glad Colly had a good series. It's refreshing not having his name constantly and unfairly mentioned for the chop.
I really never got that with the English press. Collingwood is a great fielder and has the balls to stand up when the going gets tough.

The one thing that pisses me off about England fans with respect to Collingwood is the idea he is only a man for tough situations. He is actualy quite talented and has a bit of flair about him but is remembered for his last stand batting. He will never be the great batsman of his era but he can score quickly and with big shots when the match situation demands it.

I really never got that with the English press. Collingwood is a great fielder and has the balls to stand up when the going gets tough.

The one thing that pisses me off about England fans with respect to Collingwood is the idea he is only a man for tough situations. He is actualy quite talented and has a bit of flair about him but is remembered for his last stand batting. He will never be the great batsman of his era but he can score quickly and with big shots when the match situation demands it.

I agree. He is known for rather unglamorous straight up and down innings in tests, but he is England's most capped One Day International player and has been the staple of the side for years with some crafty batting. A bit of a paradox really.

Back
Top Bottom