Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British & Irish Lions tour of South Africa 2021

True but who tipped Peter OMahony to captain the Lions in the first test in 2017.

A much better performance by the Lions this half. Curry maybe won the 7 shirt tonight. Most of the pack did well, as did Harris and Watson. Disappointed by Aki, not sure he penetrated the defence enough for my liking.

The South African defence was awesome.

Interesting to see if Faf de Klerk gets cited.

Despite the 17-13 loss, it’s more or less honours even given the Lions gifted SA both their tries and scored their points against a depleted team.

One thing that wasn’t mentioned on commentary by Nigel Owens was st start of second half, while captain was in sin bin, he was clearly directing the decisions on pitch. Surely that’s outside of the sun bin law, and it it isn’t it should be.

So...

Jones, George, Furlong
Itoje. ?
? Faletau Curry

Adams ? ? Biggar ? ?
?

Lot of question marks over the first test side. 9 and centres a real issue

My prediction

Jones, George, Furlong
Itoje, Henderson
Beirne, Faletau, Curry

Adams, Henshaw, Farrell, Biggar, Murray, Watson
Hogg

Bench: Liam, Daly, Price, Owens, Navidi, AWJ, Sutherland, Sinckler

AWJ on the bench against the stormers says to me that Gatland has every intention of involving him in the first test. He may well even start.

I have to admit I’m coming round to the idea that AWJ will start the first test if he gets through Saturday
- much easier to control how long he plays if he is only be good for 45-50 mins, whereas if he’s riding the pine he could have to play 78 minutes if there’s an early injury. And there will be injuries.

So I agree with your pack, Henderson / AWJ being the only decision.

As for your backline, I’d have Price in for Murray and I think Gatland really wants Henshaw and Daly to work as a centre combination hence them playing tomorrow.

Jones, George, Furlong
Itoje, AWJ
Beirne, Faletau, Curry

Adams, Daly, Henshaw, Biggar, Price, Watson
Hogg

Bench: DVDM, Farrell, Davies, Owens, Watson, Lawes, Sutherland, Sinckler

In an ideal world I would have a more creative 10 on the bench but even if Smith destroys the Stormers it’s surely too early for him and Russell is still injured. Biggar tends to go off at 60 for Wales this season.

Definitely think a few players will play themselves off the team tomorrow. For some it could be their last match on tour.

First test is 4 days away

The Times allegedly have the team as per the below pic.

Not sure we need a 6-2 split as the Boks have decided they don’t. Not sure the 2 backs riding the pine are going to help us chase the game.

Cowan-Dickie’s darts mean I can’t see us throwing to the back much.

look away now Welsh fans

BB2B6A29-9C65-4565-A37E-AF7C3EE3316F.jpeg

First test is 4 days away

The Times allegedly have the team as per the below pic.

Not sure we need a 6-2 split as the Boks have decided they don’t. Not sure the 2 backs riding the pine are going to help us chase the game.

Cowan-Dickie’s darts mean I can’t see us throwing to the back much.

look away now Welsh fans

View attachment 279653
I think I'm having a leek shaded version of the Davies for BOD moment that our Irish fellow travellers had in the Aus tour. The exclusion of Adams for that lumbering super tanker, Van der Jock, is fucking bizarre in the extreme. I can only attribute it to Townshend getting the final call on the backs because by any measure its a shit choice.

The rest I can understand, tbh. Faletau is hardly pulling up trees atm.

I think I'm having a leek shaded version of the Davies for BOD moment that our Irish fellow travellers had in the Aus tour. The exclusion of Adams for that lumbering super tanker, Van der Jock, is fucking bizarre in the extreme. I can only attribute it to Townshend getting the final call on the backs because by any measure its a shit choice.

The rest I can understand, tbh. Faletau is hardly pulling up trees atm.

You say that but Gatland loves a big lump at wing, look how many caps he gave Alex Cuthbert

You say that but Gatland loves a big lump at wing, look how many caps he gave Alex Cuthbert
Agreed, but by almost every measure VdM is an inferior player to Adams. At the time of his caps cuthbert was one of the most dangerous strike runners in European rugby (albeit that didn't last long)

It is probably a size thing but Adams may get a shout in the other two tests depending on how this one goes.

I can see the reasoning for VdM but I’m really not a fan of residency players representing the Lions, not least against the nation of their birth. I can see him being stepped by Kolbe more than once.

Adams has a knock apparently

I agree, not a huge fan of it either.

Got a day pass for Now TV. Couldnt be bothered scrambling around online as havent found a decent stream for this tour. Dont think ive watched a Lions game on normal telly since 97. Just watched the 2nd half of that years 2nd test to get in the mood. Cmon you Lions.

Got a day pass for Now TV. Couldnt be bothered scrambling around online as havent found a decent stream for this tour. Dont think ive watched a Lions game on normal telly since 97. Just watched the 2nd half of that years 2nd test to get in the mood. Cmon you Lions.
It ought to be a protected event for Freeview. Is it free in the RoI, do you know?

I'm going to try and find a decent stream.

It ought to be a protected event for Freeview. Is it free in the RoI, do you know?

I'm going to try and find a decent stream.
Couldnt tell you to be honest. Good luck with the stream. I tried VIP Row & First Row a few weeks ago & got nothing.

Eta. Was reading through the 2009 thread this morning & i think i watched that through Justin.tv.

Couldnt tell you to be honest. Good luck with the stream. I tried VIP Row & First Row a few weeks ago & got nothing.

Eta. Was reading through the 2009 thread this morning & i think i watched that through Justin.tv.
Cheers, I'll try them if I get no joy from the other one I've used.

I am old enough that I still get a thrill to see the Springboks singing that anthem...

I should get out more.

Daly not able to do what he was selected for. Gatland does know that Cape Town is at sea level doesnt he?

You could add Sutherland too that list too. Farrell not too hot either.
Unfortunately the pub sky feed went down in the second half so no idea what happened bar the result. From the text feed it sounds like Lawes was rejuvenated second half but yes, Sutherland was out of his depth from what I saw.

Back
Top Bottom