Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British & Irish Lions tour of South Africa 2021

Being nicked down in New Zealand last time won’t have helped his case, Gatland’s “time bomb” comment in 2019 too will have stood against him, suspect he’s decided Kyle is a player not worth the risk.

Probably first replacement if they need another rightie-tightie though.

Being nicked down in New Zealand last time won’t have helped his case, Gatland’s “time bomb” comment in 2019 too will have stood against him, suspect he’s decided Kyle is a player not worth the risk.

Probably first replacement if they need another rightie-tightie though.
Yes. Think him, Tuilagi and probably Navidi are very likely to end up on tour in some shape or form.

Saffas apparently having a 'mare finding warm up opposition to prep for the tour due to Covid. USA and one other fixture I now forget have been called off. They're now scrabbling around trying to arrange a Georgia match. Be a real shame if they go into the series massively undercooked (or to be more precise, even more undercooked than they're already going to be)

Good news for TV - Channel 4 will show the warmup game vs Japan live, and highlights of the three test matches will be on All4

Providing no injuries sustained this weekend, it appears that all but the Exeter 4 (sounds like an IRA cell!) will be available to join up with the squad this week.

Racing 92 lost in the Top 14 playoffs last night, and Sale and Bristol lost today, which means that Tom Curry, Finn Russell and Kyle Sinckler should be available, and the Saracens bunch conclude their playoff tomorrow.

The first game is in Edinburgh vs Japan next Saturday at 3pm - live on Channel 4.

Team announced - no English players in the starting XV, largely because only 2 of them were in Jersey for training due to club commitments.

Lions: L Williams; J Adams, R Henshaw, B Aki, D Van der Merwe; D
Biggar, C Murray; R Sutherland, K Owens, Z Fagerson, I Henderson, A W
Jones (capt), T Beirne, H Watson, J Conan
Reps: J George, W Jones, T Furlong, C Lawes, T Faletau, G Davies,
O Farrell, A Watson

The bench looks stacked. I expect Japan to want to make it unstructured which may mean it’s an intriguing clash of styles. The Lions will probably play their strategy for the springboks and I expect them to look rusty for the first half at least.

It’s still to be confirmed if this match will have test status which seems poor form to me.

Tipuric maybe out too. For me that’s a call up for Josh Navidi. Luke Cowan-Dickie stretchered off too in the Prem final. Presumably Kelleher who was filling in will be the replacement if needed.

As for AWJ - a big loss in terms of leadership and also in the row. I feel that Johnny Hill may play his way into the test team now, particularly given his disruptive prowess at defensive line outside and he’s a big physical lump which you need i South Africa. Lawes is a 6 against the Boks, not big enough to combat their engine-room. So I see a call up maybe for Johnny Gray, James Ryan goes missing in the big games for me and is very overrated.

As for captain, no way is Hogg starting at 15 ahead of Sanjay Williams on today’s form so not him. Ken Owens is a great leader but seemed quite out of shape and has a wobbly set piece which would be a concern. Farrell I’m not sure is anyone’s first choice 12 and isn’t needed to kick goals with Biggar at 10. I reckon Farrell may be appointed tour captain for now and perhaps Jamie George will skipper the side in the Tests.

As for the match itself, you have to question if it was the right choice to play. Very loose early on, shocking defensive positioning by the Lions wingers which must have been deliberate and lots of wrapping tackles trying to prevent the offload. I felt like - and hope - that this was a Japan-specific tactic as not sure it would be the right choice for South African opposition.

Despite the injuries some encouraging performances and from the team that started I’d say all about van der Merwe are in my test side.

Connor Murray new skipper, a left field choice but I can see the reasoning, very likely a test starter, good leader and I think he’s captained Ireland Adam Beard called up to replace AWJ.

My predictions above utter bilge but I was right about Navidi for Tipuric.
Murray replaces Jones as Lions captain

Fun fact - last England player to skipper the Lions in any match was Phil Vickery in a tour match in 2009

First game on tour today, 5pm. Lions vs the (Emirates) Lions. On Sky Sports, for which I’ve bought a NOW tv sub for a few months.

Anyway I’m excited to see what the B&I Lions will bring this afternoon, particularly keen to see Louis Rees-Zammit on the wing and the Russell-Farrell axis at 10/12.

Feel a bit sorry that the tour is rather playing third fiddle to the Euros and Wimbledon for the first few weeks. But not to me!

OTOH I was impressed by Harries, Itoje, Adams, Adams, Adams, Adams, Farrell at 10 (but only in contrast to Finn fucking Russell), George, Faletau and, in patches, LRZ. Wee Hamish Mcplop was pretty tidy also.

Last edited:
Also fucking tamping that Tory Lawes cost Wyn Jones his salmon leaping try due to standard thuggery. Hoping the Saes' discipline (or lack thereof) isn't the undoing of this tour.

I think I’d agree with you on those assessments. Farrell and Daly are nailed on for test shirts - no 22 and no 23 respectively I’d say.

The lineout looked great, but the breakdown / contact area was shocking and we seemed to cough up the ball too much.

My provisional team based on what I’ve seen so far!

Jones George Furlong
Itoje Henderson
Beirne Faletau Curry

Murray Biggar
Aki Harris
Adams Williams Watson

Also fucking tamping that Tory Lawes cost Wyn Jones his salmon leaping try due to standard thuggery. Hoping the Saes' discipline (or lack thereof) isn't the undoing of this tour.
Lawes was off the pace. He’s going for a 19 shirt I guess. Beirne miles ahead of him at 6.

I think I’d agree with you on those assessments. Farrell and Daly are nailed on for test shirts - no 22 and no 23 respectively I’d say.

The lineout looked great, but the breakdown / contact area was shocking and we seemed to cough up the ball too much.

My provisional team based on what I’ve seen so far!

Jones George Furlong
Itoje Henderson
Beirne Faletau Curry

Murray Biggar
Aki Harris
Adams Williams Watson
Yeah, I agree. That's pretty much the team I'd pick. While Hamish is good at marauding around bouncing off people I'd prefer to see a better breakdown operator on the field. The back row you've selected is good for all the right reasons.

Aki would be my only reservation. I'd probably be inclined to go with OF.

Also insane rumours that awj may be fit for the tests. Can't quite believe it but who knows?

E2A: missed your pick of JG at 2. Think the Sheriff will start but it's tight AF

16 - Cowan Dickie
17 - Vunipola
18 - Sinckler
19 - Lawes
20 - Conan
21 - Davies
22 - Farrell
23 - Daly

However I liked what I saw of Daly in his cameo so maybe he’d swap with Aki and move Harris to 12?

AWJ being fit sounds like a nice idea, but maybe only for the third test if already 2-0 up. Ideally I’d want it to be a non debate as other players are keeping him out of the team.

16 - George
17 - Vunipola
18 - Sinckler
19 - Lawes
20 - simmonds
21 - Davies
22 - Russell
23 - Daly

However I liked what I saw of Daly in his cameo so maybe he’d swap with Aki and move Harris to 12?
Based on my starting XV

Back
Top Bottom