Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British & Irish Lions tour of South Africa 2021

Perhaps we both show our national biases in team selection!

I felt Owens looked a bit old and off the pace against Japan. Also recall his set piece can be wobbly. As the line out is being called by Itoje I think I’d like to have George there for the familiarity.

Agree Hamish Watson is a fun player but perhaps a bit of a luxury with a big 6 in the team. I feel the same way about Simmonds tbh. Curry has a pectoral injury - he’s the only player in the original party not to have been involved yet.

Well the tour match vs the Blue Bulls on Saturday is off due to covid, as is the SA v Georgia game on Friday. It’s all looking a bit worrying for the tour given there are outbreaks in each of the above teams. None of the Lions have covid… yet.

Lions v Sharks is on tonight at 6pm. Hopefully not the last game of the tour.

5 Lions tour party members including 2 players have Covid, tonight’s game delayed by an hour.

It’s not looking good for the tour being honest.

5 Lions tour party members including 2 players have Covid, tonight’s game delayed by an hour.

It’s not looking good for the tour being honest.
No, think it's going to be cancelled.

Some potentially amusing injury subs to the back line tonight, mind, given the only back on the bench is Russell.

Daly is really building his case for being in the test team
Yeah, he was really impressive. Thought Farrell was way better at 10 than Russell and all.

Other honourable mentions have to go to Cowan Dickie, who has really put the cat amongst the pigeons in terms of the 2 berth, Adams, who has to be the most nailed on test starter in the squad atm, Navidi, who did exactly what I'd have expected of him in terms of defence, disruption and all-round play and, ahem, Beard, who I thought had an excellent all-round game in the maul, at the breakdown, in defence and the lineout.

Just seen the second half, had avoided the score as I switched over to the Kevball at 8pm. Agree re Daly, Cowan-Dickie and Adams - ridiculous how many tries he’s getting.

Agree I’d love to see Navidi start, I thought Tom Curry was anonymous and that’s the first time I can recall ever thinking that. I just worry that Navidi while he can play across the back row is really in a fight for the starting 7 shirt only due to the need for a big 6. He’d minimum be my back row reserve.

LRZ has serious wheels but I’m not sure he that will get as much space or ball in a test.

Unbelievably the tour is on and the Lions appear to be covid free.

Playing the same team we played on Wednesday. Seems like they’re due for another hiding based on Wednesdays showing.

Looking forward to seeing Harris and Daly in the centres. A good opportunity for those who’ve not played much to get some much needed time. A 6-2 bench I suspect due to some backs having played a huge amount.

Would be amazing if he got back but wouldn’t be fair on other players who have shown form for him to get a test spot initially.

Lions v South Africa A on Wednesday. Looks a tasty South African team with 7 of the World Cup final XV starting including 5 of the backs. If the Lions win against what is a rusty but very good team I expect they will take the series.

Would be amazing if he got back but wouldn’t be fair on other players who have shown form for him to get a test spot initially.

Lions v South Africa A on Wednesday. Looks a tasty South African team with 7 of the World Cup final XV starting including 5 of the backs. If the Lions win against what is a rusty but very good team I expect they will take the series.
Second rows have hardly been putting their hands up for a test berth! Feel sorry for Murray tho as he'll have to give captaincy back!

Bench for the second test if the first one goes badly. Will probably start the third one whatever happens

Captaincy will be interesting!
Is he still captain, or is Murray now skipper.
Gatland may have other ideas, but knowing what he’s like I wouldn’t surprised if AWJ said it was right if Murray continued as captain and he’d just take pack leader duties.

Let’s see what happens, if he arrives Thursday morning, could he go on the bench for Saturdays game? Arguably he may be better off starting, as they can control when he comes off then. If a sub he could be on from minute 1 due to injury. Unless they use a a 6-2 split on the bench which I expect they will do, give him a half of rugby.

Don’t see him dislodging Itoje or Henderson as a test lock myself, but I do think his leadership is valued highly by Gatland. So I will stick with my prediction that he will be a sub for the second test and start the final one.

I’d say captain for the tests should be picked based on who the best XV is on the day. Murray needs a big game tonight as he’s behind Price currently. Jamie George could end up being test captain as I feel he’s a guaranteed starter at hooker now.

I’d say captain for the tests should be picked based on who the best XV is on the day. Murray needs a big game tonight as he’s behind Price currently. Jamie George could end up being test captain as I feel he’s a guaranteed starter at hooker now.
There’s no way George will be captaining first test.

Do I detect a morsel of anti-English bias here? :D Beauty of rugby, it’s all about opinions

Put it another way, do you think a player who isn’t a guaranteed starter should be captaining the team? Because Murray and AWJ are not as guaranteed to start as George - on form seen so far this tour. That may change if Murray has a big game tonight of course.

WTF has fair got to do with it? This is a Lions tour not a charidee match. If he's the best player in his position and the ideal candidate for captaincy he should be reinstated tout de suite. If not, not.

If Henderson loses his place to AWJ on Gatland's watch I have no doubt that the Irish press will be entirely calm and balanced about the whole thing

Can I have the number of your weed dealer?

Where I do agree is that he won't start the first test, but I do think he'll bench. Don't think WG would go to all the bother of flying him out with all the attendant media circus unless he planned for him to play. Let's not forget that just over two weeks ago he was a nailed on starter. Not a whole lot has changed since then and Gatland has no sacred cows when it comes to easing recently injured players back into match day squads. If he's fit enough and seen as critical enough a player (which I think he is) he plays.

Where I do agree is that he won't start the first test, but I do think he'll bench. Don't think WG would go to all the bother of flying him out with all the attendant media circus unless he planned for him to play. Let's not forget that just over two weeks ago he was a nailed on starter. Not a whole lot has changed since then and Gatland has no sacred cows when it comes to easing recently injured players back into match day squads. If he's fit enough and seen as critical enough a player (which I think he is) he plays.
the voice of reason as always on things rugby.

Why is Murray persevering with tap penalties when they have a 2 man advantage?
I think he might be playing himself out of the captaincy here. woeful decision making.

First half in a test-like match vs South Africa A

Scrum and lineout ok for the Lions. Breakdown shocking. Look after the ball FFS. Boks using territory well, defence superb, discipline a bit suspect.

A few players poor - Farrell charged down and kicked out on the full. Murray kicking terrible. LRZ exposed at big boy school. Backs largely poor. Navidi and Curry doing well. Think they’re playing for one place though.

Having heard what Gatland said before the game I agree he will bench.

Can I have the number of your weed dealer?
I think the performance of Murray has made my point for me. Gatland loves Owens though and he’s been ok.

Having heard what Gatland said before the game I agree he will bench.

I think the performance of Murray has made my point for me. Gatland loves Owens though and he’s been ok.
Sorry, maybe I miscommunicated. Price is shit, if Murray is shitter then we've got real problems and should be looking to get care or Tomos on the plane rapidly. George is the likely starter but a very long bet for captaincy.

Back
Top Bottom