Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v South Africa Test Series

If fit (and obv. he hasn't been for a long time) he would have been picked though (regardless of stats) even for this series, at the expense of Bell.

He was a busted flush for the last 3 years, but still performed a role as a bowler (it's not all stats). Happily at the moment Swann is performing that role now, by tying up one end and producing some runs (but neither he nor Broad have produced a 'big' knock to date)

I guess they're waiting for Finn or someone to step up in the next couple of years.

Depending on the pitch the only player at risk for the next Test would be Onions?

fwiw, I'm not attempting to say Flintoff was rubbish or wouldn't have been picked, I'm just trying to show that we're not struggling to fill a gaping hole in the side based on the last few years.

But you know that anyway :)

fwiw, I'm not attempting to say Flintoff was rubbish or wouldn't have been picked, I'm just trying to show that we're not struggling to fill a gaping hole in the side based on the last few years.

But you know that anyway :)

No no.. I know that!

Just wanted to count in his psychological impact on the team, the opposition, the crowd that was all.. even last summer. The noise when he came on to bowl was something else..

First 29: 1209@25.72
Next 33: 1918@39.95
Final 17: 718@27.61

He had a golden 2 and a half years 2004 to mid 2006, then tailed off again basically

These were in Wisden Cricketer this month but you can get this sort of thing off Cricinfo's stats guru which allows all sorts of filters etc

Gosh, it really makes me wonder why they kept him in the side after 29 tests. That's why I asked for the batting stats, as I wondered whether his batting average warranted his place as his bowling average was poor. Glad they did keep him in. Beefy tailed away at the end of his career too, although he kept playing for years.

I know about Cricinfo stats, but just couldn't arsed, hoping you would do the work for me. So, cheers ;)

Gosh, it really makes me wonder why they kept him in the side after 29 tests. That's why I asked for the batting stats, as I wondered whether his batting average warranted his place as his bowling average was poor. Glad they did keep him in. Beefy tailed away at the end of his career too, although he kept playing for years.

I know about Cricinfo stats, but just couldn't arsed, hoping you would do the work for me. So, cheers ;)

There was a whole lot of persevering with obvious potential, coupled with a lack of decent alternative options

Gosh, it really makes me wonder why they kept him in the side after 29 tests. That's why I asked for the batting stats, as I wondered whether his batting average warranted his place as his bowling average was poor. Glad they did keep him in. Beefy tailed away at the end of his career too, although he kept playing for years

i guess it's one of those things where they could see he was obviously bloody talented. it was just a case of persevering until he came good. i've a funny feeling that him sorting himself out coincided with him meeting his wife too. i'm fairly sure he quotes her as the reason for him finally getting fit and losing the pounds.

in the same way, it's obvious that bell has a lot of talent, and it may just be a case of persevering until he comes good. he's shown signs in the last 4 tests of it, so fingers crossed, he's put a lot of his mental problems to bed.

i guess it's one of those things where they could see he was obviously bloody talented. it was just a case of persevering until he came good. i've a funny feeling that him sorting himself out coincided with him meeting his wife too. i'm fairly sure he quotes her as the reason for him finally getting fit and losing the pounds.

in the same way, it's obvious that bell has a lot of talent, and it may just be a case of persevering until he comes good. he's shown signs in the last 4 tests of it, so fingers crossed, he's put a lot of his mental problems to bed.

maybe he's got together with Mrs Flintoff?

Time for me to talk about Bell.

Those of you with good memories may remember that I always come onto these threads to defend Bell. My reasoning is that his technique itself is spectacular and that it is technique at the very top level that enables a batsman to survive and thrive. The concentration aspect can come with maturity, whereas if you don't have the technique early in your test career, you're unlikely to ever get it.

I feel that this series might be a turning point for him. A match-winning top-scoring innings in the second test followed by two superb battling performances when the team really, REALLY needed him in the third test. I want this to be so SO MUCH that I worry I may be seeing it through rose_tinted specs, but I still think Bell could yet go on to be one of our greats. Or he could peter out to nothing again, of course.

At least we know what's happened to all the grit in England. Collingwood and Bell took it with them.

Do you see what I did there?

I thought of posting that joke yesterday Santino but thought better of it :p

Was going to say with regard to comments on the Barmy Army yesterday - I think there's a lot of nonsense talked about England's travelling support tbh. Having done time with the Army myself I can tell you that by and large they are a great bunch of fun loving cricket fanatics whose support is very much appreciated by the England players, especially when times are tough and they're up against it. They never get on the backs of the England side, they don't come out with some of the vitriolic rubbish you see in other places with regard to contentious selections such as Ian Bell. Bad behaviour and bad language is actively discouraged, despite what you may hear and read, they are embraced by the cricket communities they visit and tbh given the numbers they travel in, I doubt we'd play nearly as many Tests in a series as we do if they weren't there - there's a reason we play more than three Test matches in South Africa and West Indies and that's the big gate money and bar receipts guaranteed by the travelling England support.

Someone mentioned counting down from 10 - I doubt that's the Barmy Army tbh. Sounds more like the locals trying to get a mexican wave going, something that's usually studiously ignored by the Barmy Army because a) it's pointless and b) it distracts from watching the cricket which, contrary to popular belief, is what they're all there to do. Yes some of the chants/songs can be somewhat monotonous, that's the price paid for the simplest ones being the easiest for everyone to pick up. Many of the songs are genuinely funny and inventive but you won't hear them constantly on TMS or Sky because it's harder to make out the words via that medium.

So, they're mad about cricket, travel around the world to SUPPORT the team rather than snipe at them as so many in the media etc will and they're a large reason as to why Test cricket isn't on its arse even more than it is already. God bless them :)

Barmy Army in the final few overs yesterday:

"Dot ball to the Eng-er-land!
Dot ball to the Eng-er-land!"

Made me smile, anyway.

Was going to say with regard to comments on the Barmy Army yesterday - I think there's a lot of nonsense talked about England's travelling support tbh. Having done time with the Army myself I can tell you that by and large they are a great bunch of fun loving cricket fanatics whose support is very much appreciated by the England players, especially when times are tough and they're up against it. They never get on the backs of the England side, they don't come out with some of the vitriolic rubbish you see in other places with regard to contentious selections such as Ian Bell. Bad behaviour and bad language is actively discouraged, despite what you may hear and read, they are embraced by the cricket communities they visit and tbh given the numbers they travel in, I doubt we'd play nearly as many Tests in a series as we do if they weren't there - there's a reason we play more than three Test matches in South Africa and West Indies and that's the big gate money and bar receipts guaranteed by the travelling England support.

Someone mentioned counting down from 10 - I doubt that's the Barmy Army tbh. Sounds more like the locals trying to get a mexican wave going, something that's usually studiously ignored by the Barmy Army because a) it's pointless and b) it distracts from watching the cricket which, contrary to popular belief, is what they're all there to do. Yes some of the chants/songs can be somewhat monotonous, that's the price paid for the simplest ones being the easiest for everyone to pick up. Many of the songs are genuinely funny and inventive but you won't hear them constantly on TMS or Sky because it's harder to make out the words via that medium.

So, they're mad about cricket, travel around the world to SUPPORT the team rather than snipe at them as so many in the media etc will and they're a large reason as to why Test cricket isn't on its arse even more than it is already. God bless them :)

^^^

To a man they put English football and rugby supporters to shame. And yeah, they probably do help keep test cricket going.

Thats a good post, cheers. :)

I saw a lot of the SA v Oz test series on Sky this time last year and it was so depressing watch two of the top teams in the world playing in empty stadiums. Contrast that to the crowds which have turned up for this series. :cool:

I've bumped into a few cockheads at home tests who professed allegiance to the Barmy Army, but I guess we all have our moments when drunk. Also I guess the atmosphere is much better at away games just like it is at football. :)

Thats a good post, cheers. :)

I saw a lot of the SA v Oz test series on Sky this time last year and it was so depressing watch two of the top teams in the world playing in empty stadiums. Contrast that to the crowds which have turned up for this series. :cool:

I've bumped into a few cockheads at home tests who professed allegiance to the Barmy Army, but I guess we all have our moments when drunk. Also I guess the atmosphere is much better at away games just like it is at football. :)

Home Tests are different but sadly people choose to tag the poor behaviour at many to the overseas Barmy Army

Admittedly the historic strength of the pound has meant England take loads more overseas than other countries but they undoubtedly add to the gaiety of Test cricket :)

Ealham wouldn't look round when we were shouting EALHAM at him at a test match against India at Lords in.... oooh.... about 1994-ish?

What a wanker, eh? We sang "Ronnie Irani" at him instead.

I still smile when I remember the Army singing The Lion Sleeps Tonight at Durban 5 years ago, complete with operatic soloist on the verses :cool:

How many special people came
So many flights we had to change
Where were you when we were in Chennai?

Got hit for four with his first ball
Then took Gambhir and the Wall

Some day you will find him
Taking loads of wickets
In a Swanny super over in Chennai

Taking loads of wickets
In a Swanny super over, a Swanny super over

Because people believe
That we should never have come here at all
But you and I, will never die
And Graeme Swann is just one reason why, why, why, why...

Ealham wouldn't look round when we were shouting EALHAM at him at a test match against India at Lords in.... oooh.... about 1994-ish?

What a wanker, eh? We sang "Ronnie Irani" at him instead.

Fuck me. That's a level of abuse.. no-one deserves that surely?

The two dominant teams of the modern era – WI in 70s-80s, Aus 90s- 00s – did not boast a single all-rounder between them.

You pick your best batters and best bowlers, then if one or two of them can perform the other skill too, well that's a bonus. I think it is always a mistake to think that there is a 'place' in any given 11 for an all-rounder. History shows that there isn't.

The two dominant teams of the modern era – WI in 70s-80s, Aus 90s- 00s – did not boast a single all-rounder between them.

You pick your best batters and best bowlers, then if one or two of them can perform the other skill too, well that's a bonus. I think it is always a mistake to think that there is a 'place' in any given 11 for an all-rounder. History shows that there isn't.

yep, all rounders are not a necessity but freaks like Botham managed to convince English cricket that they were

yep, all rounders are not a necessity but freaks like Botham managed to convince English cricket that they were
Yes, it's almost a mistake to talk about all rounders at all. Botham was a bowler who could bat. Most 'all rounders' are like that. Kallis and Sobers are the only genuine batting all rounders I can think of. But they're all one or the other.

I like what Richie Benaud has always said about all rounders – they must be able to justify their place with one or other skill alone. England did indeed forget that for a while, and seemed as if they would again this series with Luke Wright.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet the collosus of mediocrity that was Derek Pringle.

How many special people came
So many flights we had to change

Got hit for four with his first ball
Then took Gambhir and the Wall

Taking loads of wickets
In a Swanny super over in Chennai

Taking loads of wickets
In a Swanny super over, a Swanny super over

Because people believe
That we should never have come here at all
But you and I, will never die
And Graeme Swann is just one reason why, why, why, why...

:D:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom