Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v South Africa Test Series

If I could be bothered, I'd dredge up all your comments during the Ashes this summer about average teams and South Africa being a real test etc...

Go ahead. We've played poorly and still outplayed you twice. If we win the last Test, will you seriously be happy with the overall series? A drawn series twice hanging on by your fingernails isn't very impressive.

Even if you win it's only even since we beat you already!

Lucky bastards :p Somehow going 1 up despite being spanked in 2 Tests!

Time for a long hard look at the SA team I reckon. Three tests and still not taken 20 wickets. As for today they had a whole day to get 7 wickets on a fifth day pitch.

Smith, Arthurs and their fans have had a lot to say about England perhaps it's time to have a look at themselves. They are a shadow of the team that toured England a couple of years back.

Go ahead. We've played poorly and still outplayed you twice. If we win the last Test, will you seriously be happy with the overall series? A drawn series twice hanging on by your fingernails isn't very impressive.

Ha ha ha.

I dunno, that we played rubbish? What's that got to do with anything?

Lots of people on here were whining that WI didn't deserve to win because they got hammered in all but 1 Test.

Time for a long hard look at the SA team I reckon. Three tests and still not taken 20 wickets. As for today they had a whole day to get 7 wickets on a fifth day pitch.
Ntini going downhill is an issue. We have good youngsters, it's just a concern about what to do before they're ready. Still got the best bowler around, so not exactly a crisis.

eta: 5th day pitch? wtf? This pitch didn't do shit!
Smith, Arthurs and their fans have had a lot to say about England perhaps it's time to have a look at themselves. They are a shadow of the team that toured England a couple of years back.
Er, there's hardly any difference between the team that beat you and this one.

Yep this series cemented Bell's place....no way on for Bopara or Shah now. Okay so part of it is a lack of decent alternatives but it is what it is. Trott too...little more application and he could have had a much higher average this series.

Biggest issues are lack of bowling cover and KP's form.

Ntini going downhill is an issue. We have good youngsters, it's just a concern about what to do before they're ready. Still got the best bowler around, so not exactly a crisis.

Er, there's hardly any difference between the team that beat you and this one.

First point, where are these youngsters? Parnell should be in, no question.

Second point, whats changed then? This isnt a particuarly good England side, certainly not a patch on these Ashes side of 05.

It's clear that Prince is not an opener and I'm yet to be convinced by Duminy, Harris is still shit.

ETA - If England hold for a draw or better in the next test then thats 2 home series in a row lost, not a crisis but surely a worry?

If these had been rain-affected draws, you'd have a point.

But they weren't – the only rain-affected game was the one England won! The two draws were played over five whole days bar a few overs lost to this game due to South Africa's over rate.

To win a test you must take 20 wickets in five days. Not 19. :D

First point, where are these youngsters? Parnell should be in, no question.
Parnell, well he's 19. Opinion is he isn't really ready, which is probably right. He might just get thrown in anyway. Tsotsobe looks promising too, I think he picked up an injury though, was out for like 4 months.
Second point, whats changed then? This isnt a particuarly good England side, certainly not a patch on these Ashes side of 05.
Just looked up when we beat you in England. The difference is....McKenzie opening vs Prince opening. Prince is better, though obviously not an opener.
It's clear that Prince is not an opener and I'm yet to be convinced by Duminy, Harris is still shit.
Duminy is a bit concerning, Harris has been reliable for a long time. Like you, we lack many spinners.

Remember this is the team that beat Australia in Australia. They got lotsa credit because of that, quite rightly.

If these had been rain-affected draws, you'd have a point.

But they weren't – the only rain-affected game was the one England won! The two draws were played over five whole days bar a few overs lost to this game due to South Africa's over rate.

To win a test you must take 20 wickets in five days. Not 19. :D

I'm not saying we deserved to win. We didn't, we didn't get the last wicket. I am saying we were twice a millimetre away from winning, and lost once. On overall play, we've outplayed you. Means squat in terms of the results, certainly, but looking to the future (next Test and beyond), it looks better for us than you.

Only an innings defeat counts as a spanking
Yeah, fair enough. Just being beat soundly then ;)

Like you, we lack many spinners.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that. I think we've probably got 3 or 4 spinners who would get in ahead of Harris.

Day 5, wearing pitch, today should have been Harris' day. Nah, he aint good enough.

I actually think this was an opportunity missed for England. They got SA fairly cheaply in the first innings, if they had made a big score then it would be SA holding on on the last day.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that. I think we've probably got 3 or 4 spinners who would get in ahead of Harris.
Who? Wasn't Panesar your last spinner? He's terrible.
Day 5, wearing pitch, today should have been Harris' day. Nah, he aint good enough.
I don't rate him, don't get me wrong, but that pitch was pretty damn flat.

Yep. Outbowled by the part-timer by the sounds of it.

Who? Wasn't Panesar your last spinner? He's terrible.

Couldnt bat and woefull in the field, but a far better bowler than Harris. Thinking about it I can't recall a world class SA spinner. Paul Adams had potential but never really came through.

I reckon you'd be better dropping him for the next match, let Duminy do the spinning, he looks more likely to get wickets.

Incidentally Swann is rated number 3 in the world at the moment (for what its worth).

Couldnt bat and woefull in the field, but a far better bowler than Harris. Thinking about it I can't recall a world class SA spinner. Paul Adams had potential but never really came through.

I reckon you'd be better dropping him for the next match, let Duminy do the spinning, he looks more likely to get wickets.

Incidentally Swann is rated number 3 in the world at the moment (for what its worth).

Might want to check out Panesar's bowling figures any time in the last few years. Hint: They're horrible.

Might want to check out Panesar's bowling figures any time in the last few years. Hint: They're horrible.

Agreed, I don't think you grasp just how low I rate Harris. Quite how he got so many wickets against Aus will forever remain a mystery.

Where's Pat Symcox? Get him back, I bet he could still do a better job for you; might chip in with a few runs as well. :D

Agreed, I don't think you grasp just how low I rate Harris. Quite how he got so many wickets against Aus will forever remain a mystery.

Where's Pat Symcox? Get him back, I bet he could still do a better job for you; might chip in with a few runs as well. :D

Hopeless Harris vs Super Swann, Tests against Australia.

Harris, 6 Tests, 3 home, 3 away:
275 overs
782 runs conceded (2.84 RPO)
24 wickets (Average 32.5)

Swann, 5 Tests, all home
170 overs
567 runs conceded (3.33 RPO)
14 wickets (Average 40.5)

He got so many wickets because people underestimate him. He's not great, but he's decent.

We haven't played great, sometimes that happens to players. Don't forget we beat you at home and beat Australia at home, it's more than you've done. Maybe you'll match it, but until then you shouldn't rag on the people who did that.

He got so many wickets because people underestimate him. He's not great, but he's decent.
I think that's kind of right. He's like Ashley Giles – not a match-winner, but fairly useful.

Saying someone is as good a bowler as Ashley Giles is somewhat damning them with faint praise, though. :D

We haven't played great, sometimes that happens to players. Don't forget we beat you at home and beat Australia at home, it's more than you've done. Maybe you'll match it, but until then you shouldn't rag on the people who did that.

And...you're still going on. :D Its hard to take, i know.

Yeah, well. Obviously we'd love a Warne, but we've never really produced great spinners. In those circumstances, someone who nicks handy wickets and keeps it tight is very nice. Harris has done that for us. He's had one or two poor games, who hasn't? I seem to recall Swann got carted around a lot in the Ashes and elsewhere, doesn't mean he's a shit bowler.

And...you're still going on. Its hard to take, i know.
It really isn't that hard to take. I'm more of a football guy anyway, plus I take far more joy from Australia losing than I do us winning.

As I said before I don't think this is a great England team. I think we have some ok bats, some decent seam bowling (given the right conditions) and spinner in great form (you can compare figures against Oz all you want, look at the figures for this series).

SA should be walking this series, like they should have beaten Oz at home. They have at least 5 players that I think are world class, so it does make me wonder what is going on? Killer instinct? Dare I say choking?

Back
Top Bottom