Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England fans: the racism and the violence

You being protective of Cardiff City is misplaced. It's not wildly inaccurate. It's not all Cardiff fans of course. Nobody said it was. But CC have a very poor history in this regard as you well know.
Of your initial claim of racist cunts or subsequent claim of violent cunts? no one is disputing the violent cunts

How inaccurate would you say your claim was, a bit? a lot? not wildly obviously! :facepalm:

Yes, I am sure you do, but have you any evidence that England has a worse problem than elsewhere?

I mean Bulgarian fans make Nazi salutes at games. French players also receive racist abuse on twitter and as for Italy...well where do you start?
This is exactly what I meant at the start of this thread. The downplaying, the denial, the 'oh look we're not as bad as [insert other country],' while failing to acknowledge that there's plenty of countries that take part in international competitions without the booing, the fighting and all the racist social media stuff.

But if some Bulgarian fans once made a Nazi salute somewhere then I guess there's absolutely no reason to criticise England fans at all then.
:facepalm:

You being protective of Cardiff City is misplaced. It's not wildly inaccurate. It's not all Cardiff fans of course. Nobody said it was. But CC have a very poor history in this regard as you well know.
I'm not 'protective' at all. I stopped supporting them years ago, but when I hear some know-nothing shouting his mouth off on a topic he knows absolutely fuck all about, I'm happy to correct them. Shamefully, you haven't got the dignity to even admit to your mistake.

FYI: I used to openly sell a well-known anti racist fanzine on the Cardiff terraces for several years. Never got into any bother at all. So what is this historic racist problem you're now shifting the discussion on to?

Yes, in the context of Euro 2020, I am sure that England currently has a bigger problem than most. Some other countries have a racist problem too.
Out of interest and for the clarification of someone who hasn't watched any of the games, do any of the other nations who took part in Euro 2020 have a similar proportion of Black players to the England team?

I'm not 'protective' at all. I stopped supporting them years ago, but when I hear some know-nothing shouting his mouth off on a topic he knows absolutely fuck all about, I'm happy yo correct them. Shamefully, you haven't got the dignity to even admit to your mistake.

FYI: I used to openly sell a well-known anti racist fanzine on the Cardiff terraces for several years. Never got into any bother at all.
I’ll agree with most of this (esp as you know ccfc a lot better than I do), but would you have made an anti racist zine for the terraces if there was no/very little problem at all?

Out of interest and for the clarification of someone who hasn't watched any of the games, do any of the other nations who took part in Euro 2020 have a similar proportion of Black players to the England team?
Italy were, of course, one of the ones with zero black players. Only a tiny number have ever played for the national squad and they did not get great receptions from many of the fans.

This is exactly what I meant at the start of this thread. The downplaying, the denial, the 'oh look we're not as bad as [insert other country],' while failing to acknowledge that there's plenty of countries that take part in international competitions without the booing, the fighting and all the racist social media stuff.

But if some Bulgarian fans once made a Nazi salute once then I guess there's absolutely no reason to criticise England fans at all then.
:facepalm:

Once again: There is no downplaying. The fact that we are now onto a second day of national news leading on this and the domination of the issue across social media should make that clear.

But your attempt to locate this as a specifically English problem - hey, so what if some Bulgarian fans made nazi salutes and monkey noise at England players - is risible. All of the evidence suggests that the form of racism being discussed here is a problem on the rise across Europe.

Last edited:
Yes, France, Belgium, Portugal, and the Netherlands i.e. the bigger former colonial powers.

Italy were, of course, one of the ones with zero black players. Only a tiny number have ever played for the national squad and they did not get great receptions from many of the fans.
Italians would turn up at the training session to sing 'no such thing as a black Italian' to Balotelli.

I’ll agree with most of this (esp as you know ccfc a lot better than I do), but would you have made an anti racist zine for the terraces if there was no/very little problem at all?
The idea for the comic came from me being shocked at hearing three racist guys for the first time. It wasn't something I was used to hearing at all. but I didn't know how to confront them.

I also wanted to redress the common attitude of the time that all football fans were racist thugs, so I launched the magazine (described by 4-4-2 Mag as "painfully right on") and it went on to sell to a quarter of the entire crowd.

If there had been a big problem with racism, it's fair to say those people would have made themselves known to me very quickly indeed.

You can read the story here Vintage Cardiff City ‘Bluebird Jones’ comics to be exhibited at Cardiff bar

Good article by David Olusoga.
Very good:

This tournament has been a tale of two Englands. In one of those Englands the national anthems of other nations are booed and fans from rival nations, some of them women and children, are abused in the stadiums and on the streets. In that nation, thugs throw bottles across Leicester Square and storm Wembley itself. In that England some “supporters” believe it is acceptable to boo our own young players, for deciding to support one another in the face of racist abuse ceaselessly directed at the black members of the squad.

I think Southgate has been a magnificent manager, btw.

And have they been subjected to similar levels of racism from some of their team's fans?
I did a quick search on 'French football racism' and plenty of stuff comes up. I can't pretend to know if it's a greater or lesser problem than it is here - I would suspect so.

Obviously just an isolated incident.

Yup a total one off. Bar these ones:

This from those who RUN the game there:

Here’s some monkey chanting:

And another;

All one offs

Never, ever, ever made any kind of claim or suggestion that it was a "specifically English problem" so you can haul that Strawman back to wherever you found it.

Your exact words were “England has got a far, far bigger problem than most”. I’m suggesting you’re wrong. You’ve still not supplied a shred of evidence to back it up

littlebabyjesus "in summary", you're not doing a fucking class, you made claims you can't back up ffs, as is you MO on loads of threads, more and more people can see it

Your exact words were “England has got a far, far bigger problem than most”. I’m suggesting you’re wrong. You’ve still not supplied a shred of evidence to back it up
So you think teams like Wales, Sweden, Finland, Scotland, Denmark etc all have the same sort of problems with racism as England, yes?

So you think teams like Wales, Sweden, Finland, Scotland, Denmark etc all have the same sort of problems with racism as England, yes?

So, just to clear, what you were claiming wasn’t that England has a “much much bigger problem than most” but that it has a problem bigger than Finland?

Not specifically to do with the football, but as a 16 year expat Sais resident in Wales, I see a very fundamental difference in the styles of English nationalism - which utterly manifests around football - and Welsh nationalism (which, TBF, also does to a lesser extent).

There have been a few times over the last few months - around the Euros, and other things - where the issue of Welsh national identity has come up amongst groups of people I have been around. What the Welsh - and for all I know, every other country in the world apart from a certain section of English people - seem to manage to do is to cherish a fiery, assertive nationalism, without it turning into something nasty and vindictive, something I've always felt deeply uncomfortable about around the English variety.

Case in point. There was a musician in the neighbouring bar, and at the end of the set, he moved on to Welsh nationalist songs. I'd not encountered Dafydd Iwan before, and the guy sang "Yma O Hyd", and one of my (Welsh) friends was translating it for me, to the mild discomfort of some of my other Welsh friends (note for non-Welsh speakers: it's a pretty blatant gesture of defiance and a call to arms for the Welsh against the English). I think they were more worried about how I'd take it than their feelngs. The point of this is that, defiant and aggressive though it may be, Welsh nationalism (for one) is not about hate, supremacy, and destroying anything in its path.

And welcoming. I am blatantly English, and I have only ever had the mildest anti-English prejudice shown against me in all the time I have been here. Sure, Wales does have racism - but it doesn't have that same pointed sense of entitlement that English racism seems to bring with it.

New Statesman article indicating that 70% plus of the racist posting on social media is from outside of the UK. Yet more evidence that this is a global problem, and that racists on football social media are racists in the real world too..

“Brighton striker Neal Maupay received digital death threats after scoring against Arsenal in June 2020. The person who sent them was given a nine-month probation order this month. The 19-year-old perpetrator wasn’t from Sunderland or Somerset, but Singapore. “It is, from a perpetrator perspective,” says Bhandari, “a global pandemic.”

Back
Top Bottom