Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England fans: the racism and the violence

It's essentially the same argument isn't it?

It's not really that bad it's mainly Russian trolls hacking lots of twitter accounts.

Just seems like yet more brushing it under the carpet and excuse making to me.

It's clearly a minority of English fans, but it's not something that can be downplayed:

As a result, Ipsos MORI conducted a poll survey amongst 783 football fans in England on June 8th and 9th as part of a wider survey of 2,083 Britons aged 16-75.

They asked supporters about their views on the Three Lions taking the knee before their Euro 2020 games, and whether they support the action.

Their key findings included:

• However, three in ten (30%) football fans in England would support fans choosing to boo the team for taking the knee at the Euros. Although half (51%) oppose fans booing the knee.

And at Wembley, they've taken to playing loud music to cover up the boos:

The FA have told stadium staff at Wembley to play loud music until after England matches kick off to drown out fans who continue to boo players taking the knee before the match begins.

It jusy seems like an attempt to downplay it to me. I'm sure some posts do come from malicious actors but doing this merry dance of 'oh it's not that bad' everytime cunts act like cunts at or around a football match is unhelpful.
But nobody on here is saying that. Certainly not in respect of the social media messages.

It's clearly a minority of English fans, but it's not something that can be downplayed:

And at Wembley, they've taken to playing loud music to cover up the boos:

I prefer the response of cheering and clapping as on the top video.

But nobody on here is saying that. Certainly not in respect of the social media messages.
Maybe not but it's just so fucking tedious every time England twats smash up a market town in Belgium, or chuck pub chairs at each other, or chant racist/homohobic bollocks etc etc it's the same 'oh but it's only a minority' wank every single time.

Yeah it is only a minority but it's a persistent loud one that seems to grow every time. Coming off the back of Brexit bollocks, this monstrously excruciating bullshit culture war, a pandemic and a nakedly corrupt, lying and hopelessly inept tory government just makes it feel so much worse to me.

I think you're avoiding the issue. Of course racism isn't unique to Britain, but we're talking about Britain.

Aside from the self aggrandising publicist tone of their tweet, I don't really disagree with (another) estate agent falling from grace. What it means to be suspended (is he on full pay?) is another matter.

As a working class type I can't say I'm overly thrilled with people losing jobs, but I've no sympathy for racists. You could always have chosen a different path.

The whole thing is ugly and our culture is basically shit
England, specifically.

Same thing with Wales fans from what I know. Doesn't stop Cardiff City from having some of the worst racist cunt fans in the country. But it's just not the culture of following the national team.

England has a problem in this regard that Scotland/Wales don't have. That's long been true and still is true. I don't know how you change it. I'm not sure it's a thing you can change actively. It is something that hopefully dies out over decades as the cunts die off and aren't replaced.

The last 24 hours have been thoroughly depressing tbh. I think winning something might have helped. Helped break the spell. It might help show people that winning is nice, but life then goes on. The likes of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc, aren't different places to live in just because they've won a bunch of football trophies.

I'm sure Mark Walters took great comfort from that as he was dodging the bananas.

I'm sure Mark Walters took great comfort from that as he was dodging the bananas.
To be clear, I was talking about the support for the national team. Part of the point was that I wasn't saying that things are somehow magically better in Scotland and Wales, and problems at club level show that. Just that the particular cultures of the supports for their national teams specifically are different, attract different people.

I don't think anyone should take comfort from any of this.

To be clear, I was talking about the support for the national team. Part of the point was that I wasn't saying that things are somehow magically better in Scotland and Wales, and problems at club level show that. Just that the particular cultures of the supports for their national teams specifically are different, attract different people.

I don't think anyone should take comfort from any of this.
To be clear, you specifically claimed that "Cardiff has some of the worst racist cunt fans in the country."

Could you now support that damning claim please?

Maybe Ireland fans have the answer:D

Wales' fans attracted huge praise too:

Every nation has their fair share of wankers supporting them, but England has got a far, far bigger problem than most.

But nobody on here is saying that. Certainly not in respect of the social media
Let's not let facts get in the way of an argument that says there is some truth in the foreign bots but no truth in peoples accounts being hacked but they are both the same way of sweeping things under the carpet even if no-one is actually sweeping things under the carpet because they are both the same

Every nation has their fair share of wankers supporting them, but England has got a far, far bigger problem than most.

You sure about that?

In summary, it's both a problem of society at large and a problem of football specifically, and certain sectors of football at that.

But this isn't zero-sum - where it thrives in football, it makes matters worse, actively harming society at large as well. 'Football' can't say 'it's society's fault', and neither can 'society' say 'it's football's fault'. Both have to take responsibility.

You sure about that?

Yes, in the context of Euro 2020, I am sure that England currently has a bigger problem than most. Some other countries have a racist problem too.

In summary, it's both a problem of society at large and a problem of football specifically, and certain sectors of football at that.

But this isn't zero-sum - where it thrives in football, it makes matters worse, actively harming society at large as well. 'Football' can't say 'it's society's fault', and neither can 'society' say 'it's football's fault'. Both have to take responsibility.
As should you for posting up wildly inaccurate claims about 'racist cunt fans'.

How does making up such inflammatory claims help the discussion progress?

Yes, in the context of Euro 2020, I am sure that England currently has a bigger problem than most. Some other countries have a racist problem too.

Yes, I am sure you do, but have you any evidence that England has a worse problem than elsewhere?

I mean Bulgarian fans make Nazi salutes at games. French players also receive racist abuse on twitter and as for Italy...well where do you start?

As should you for posting up wildly inaccurate claims about 'racist cunt fans'.

How does making up such inflammatory claims help the discussion progress?
You being protective of Cardiff City is misplaced. It's not wildly inaccurate. It's not all Cardiff fans of course. Nobody said it was. But CC have a very poor history in this regard as you well know.

Back
Top Bottom