Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England fans: the racism and the violence

In the three seasons previous to the last one teams in the PL averaged about 0.4 - 0.5 extra points from every home game, compared to their away games.

In 20/21 PL teams got an average of 0.068 less points per game in home games than in away games (i.e. it was pretty much even).

And the difference between those seasons wasn't "not travelling" or "sleeping in a different bed". Supporters affect the performances of teams.

For the second time: I'm specifically referring to the booing of the national anthem at international games and the likely impact - if any - on a player's performance.

For the second time: I'm specifically referring to the booing of the national anthem at international games and the likely impact - if any - on a player's performance.
and do you not see the connection? genuinely?

I'm not technologically minded but so many of these racist comments - could VPNs be a factor? Some dickhead posting from Clacton but it showing up as having been posted from Manila?
It’s a possibility but the Police use similar software to companies like ITV and BBC in detecting VPNs so it’s possible with the right software to screen most of them out. I went to a session organised by he GMP analysts in identifying and linking far right wing social media accounts when the EDL was in full swing and they were pretty impressive in what they did . One of the examples was matching up posts/accounts made with VPNs with other social media accounts belonging to the same person.

Twitter ( and this is only Twitter) released a statement on online racism and the Euro final:

Given the international nature of the Euro 2020 Final, it was no surprise to see that the Tweets we removed came from all over the world. However, while many have quite rightly highlighted the global nature of the conversation, it is also important to acknowledge that the UK was - by far - the largest country of origin for the abusive Tweets we removed on the night of the Final and in the days that followed.

We also wanted to better understand the users we had permanently suspended over the course of the tournament. While we have always welcomed the opportunity to hear ideas from partners on what will help, including from within the football community, our data suggests that ID verification would have been unlikely to prevent the abuse from happening - as the accounts we suspended themselves were not anonymous. Of the permanently suspended accounts from the Tournament, 99% of account owners were identifiable.

Would worry about Chelsea , worry about Leeds although their FLAF group will hopefully be on the case

That doesn't bother me. It's the role of club fans to get under the skin of opposition players; as long as its not racist (in content, or in motivation), then have at it.

That doesn't bother me. It's the role of club fans to get under the skin of opposition players; as long as its not racist (in content, or in motivation), then have at it.
I am surprised you don't declare your opposition to all hate speech, declaring racism beyond the pale but not say homophobia or sectarianism seems perverse

I am surprised you don't declare your opposition to all hate speech, declaring racism beyond the pale but not say homophobia or sectarianism seems perverse
Fair point. For completeness, I should have included all hate speech, but, given the context, I was focusing on racism.

Back
Top Bottom