Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England fans: the racism and the violence

Great pity that instead of examples how to actually fight racism , win supporters over and keep the pressure on the racists that the discussion is not about activity but about who is the most ‘concerned ‘ and who can demonstrate the size of their concern by posting up as many newspaper articles they can.

Ok if that’s what you meant , fine , sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick . Why don’t you suggest what we can do to start off a more constructive discussion?

All for it . I’ve just arrived at a bar so might not post for a while .

BBC website carrying a story about Tory MP Steve Baker urging his party to back England players taking the knee (no link because on phone).

BBC website carrying a story about Tory MP Steve Baker urging his party to back England players taking the knee (no link because on phone).

"Mr Baker said he would not take the knee himself, as its connection to BLM meant its symbolism was subject to "multiple competing interpretations".

'Not anti-capitalist'​

But he added that he thought footballers were motivated by a desire to express their "solidarity with those who suffer racism".
"We just have to get alongside those players who are taking the knee, and understand they are not saying 'defund the police', they're not anti-capitalist," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme."

"We just have to get alongside those players who are taking the knee, and understand they are not saying 'defund the police', they're not anti-capitalist,"
No, they have bought into one of our key transitional demands in our death agony struggle against capitalism and imperialism. Onwards to the barricades comrades!

the vile racist backlash has ended up utterly vindicating the whole "taking the knee" stance and blown up in the faces of johnson and the rest of the dog-whistling scum. massive respect to the england players on this. And difficult to hail them as heroic lions and sneer at them for being woke warriors as the same time

Last edited:
so brother in law is a bit of a conspiracy nut but he reckons the anti racist campaign in football is all a woke agenda. bit silly on the details

"agenda for what are you telling me the 31 million who tune in did not include posh cunts and the middle classes"

bloody crickets :D

So in terms of activity we have so far :
Hundreds turning up to demonstrate at the Rashford mural

Planned protest outside StJames Park

Johnson’s reception for England players cancelled after some players told Southgate they wouldn’t go

Two petitions , one to ban anyone convicted of abuse to be banned from grounds , another requiring legit ID to post on social media

School kids across Manchester writing messages of support to three players who were abused on line

Hibs in their friendly against Arsenal had Saka on the back of the shirt

Johnson back tracking , a couple of Tory MPs and Baroness Warsi speaking against Johnson and Patels actions .

Two arrests one in Worcester the other Ashton in Tameside for online abuse

Feel free to add please

Quite a lot of non-macho fuckwits were hoping for something good to lift them out of a horrible 18 months. Mostly they got it apart from a final England might have won. You're generalising so much here. Most people I've ever met have been decent. Most people are.
It may be unpleasant to read what others think about England, but it does not make it a generalisation. I mean take a look around and think for a moment how what is happening might affect people outside your circle.

Quite a lot of non-macho fuckwits were hoping for something good to lift them out of a horrible 18 months. Mostly they got it apart from a final England might have won. You're generalising so much here. Most people I've ever met have been decent. Most people are.
Heaven forbid that the millions from all backgrounds that got behind their team that took the knee without being reminded that they are ‘self entitled’ and that they are ‘part of the problem ‘

"Mr Baker said he would not take the knee himself, as its connection to BLM meant its symbolism was subject to "multiple competing interpretations".

'Not anti-capitalist'​

But he added that he thought footballers were motivated by a desire to express their "solidarity with those who suffer racism".
"We just have to get alongside those players who are taking the knee, and understand they are not saying 'defund the police', they're not anti-capitalist," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme."
Thanks for posting the link.

Regardless of what we think of the detail of what he's saying, and indeed what we think of him as an individual, this is a further illustration that whatever else may be going on, the events certainly aren't being swept under the carpet.

So in terms of activity we have so far :
Hundreds turning up to demonstrate at the Rashford mural

Planned protest outside StJames Park

Johnson’s reception for England players cancelled after some players told Southgate they wouldn’t go

Two petitions , one to ban anyone convicted of abuse to be banned from grounds , another requiring legit ID to post on social media

School kids across Manchester writing messages of support to three players who were abused on line

Hibs in their friendly against Arsenal had Saka on the back of the shirt

Johnson back tracking , a couple of Tory MPs and Baroness Warsi speaking against Johnson and Patels actions .

Two arrests one in Worcester the other Ashton in Tameside for online abuse

Feel free to add please
A bunch of people were taking the knee by the - now de-vandalised - mural of Marcus Rashford.

Hundreds of people take the knee beside recently-repaired Rashford mural

Was it Dublin May Day wombles in 2004 that the sharpened cds used as ninja throwing stars came from?
It may be unpleasant to read what others think about England, but it does not make it a generalisation. I mean take a look around and think for a moment how what is happening might affect people outside your circle.
I mean, there's lots of shitty things about England and some very unpleasant nationalist political forces in this country, no-one's denying that. But how do you feel about Mario Salvini and Giorgia Meloni celebrating Italy's win, does that feel like a great victory for anti-racism to you?

Was it Dublin May Day wombles in 2004 that the sharpened cds used as ninja throwing stars came from?

I mean, there's lots of shitty things about England and some very unpleasant nationalist political forces in this country, no-one's denying that. But how do you feel about Mario Salvini and Giorgia Meloni celebrating Italy's win, does that feel like a great victory for anti-racism to you?
LOL politicians jumping on the success of the national team band wagon - yeah, you really got me there.

LOL politicians jumping on the success of the national team band wagon - yeah, you really got me there.
Yeah, Salvini and Meloni, just a pair of totally normal politicians, pretty much the same as any other politicians anywhere, right? Are you actually so blinkered and exceptionalist that you think if people in, say, Belarus or Poland were asked to name "the most arrogant, entitled, macho idiot, diseased country in the world", they'd say England?

Yeah, Salvini and Meloni, just a pair of totally normal politicians, pretty much the same as any other politicians anywhere, right? Are you actually so blinkered and exceptionalist that you think if people in, say, Belarus or Poland were asked to name "the most arrogant, entitled, macho idiot, diseased country in the world", they'd say England?
I sense a touched a nerve there.

Belarus and Poland. For fuck’s sake.

Not footy related but still... :hmm:
"If we were to find ourselves overly looking to blame abroad for this phenomenon of racism, we might risk not owning a portion of the problem that is ours within our own country," he added.
and yes it says uk not england

The Statesman article seems to suggest foreign agencies may have been involved in the racist abuse of players. This, however, this was countered by Times piece, today, which said the Euro 2020 games were "not targeted disinformation" which is normally the modus operandi of countries like Russia.

However, I came across this interesting snippet, here.
The Premier League's data from their monitoring of abuse against players has shown that around 70% of cases involve abuse coming from social media users outside of the United Kingdom

Back
Top Bottom