Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2023

Don’t declare in session 4 for less than 500
Don’t make the opponents follow on when you’re only 226 ahead
It’s good to play attacking cricket and it’s great to play to win. There’s a point where it just becomes hubris, though.

Declaration was excellent. Pitch flattens out here. They took the opportunity to attack with the ball.

The follow-on decision was questionable, but we don't have the alternate history of what would have happened.

They haven't lost yet.

I'm actually a bit boring. I would have batted NZ out of the game and taken the draw and the series win if need be. But my tactics wouldn't fill grounds.

Declaration was excellent. Pitch flattens out here. They took the opportunity to attack with the ball.

The follow-on decision was questionable, but we don't have the alternate history of what would have happened.

They haven't lost yet.

I'm actually a bit boring. I would have batted NZ out of the game and taken the draw and the series win if need be. But my tactics wouldn't fill grounds.
I’m just feeling grumpy about it. Plenty of batting potential left

I'd actually push the keeper back and tempt them to be more aggressive. But yeh, this game's pretty much over.

Not going to blame Duckett too much. He looked good then got out to a productive shot. It happens.
Pope never inspired confidence. Skittish. I'm still not convinced by him as a test player tbh.
I was annoyed with Robinson's shot. He had a job this morning to see out the opening bowlers if possible and threw it away. Not good thinking.
Brook run-out? what can you say? :D

Root looks great, owes the team something.
Stokes looks very vulnerable to Bracewell, but he's digging in. Very good.

Anyone's now. Can't call this. Losing Henry is a blow for NZ. But two wickets and you're into Broad.

Waking up to the result this morning, all I can say is crikey.

I think it’s a useful lesson to the team, actually. Just because you’re great, that doesn’t make you invulnerable. In throwing out the old assumptions, don’t lose the useful wisdom. It’s amazing to win test matches that you had no right to win, but don’t lose ones you had in the bag.

Last edited:
Yeah I was listening to the TMS podcast after day 2 and they'd basically declared England winners, not unreasonably I suppose but don't count your chickens etc..

Still, one run, you can't fault the excitement :D

Congrats to NZ. Wish I'd managed to stay up for this.

As after series with NZ, I'll ask the question why they don't ever get a proper 5 match series with England. It's always a blast, whatever format we meet in.

England should have no regrets over this either. They're playing the game in an amazing spirit which is reviving the highest form of the game. In saying that, I don't think they would have made a couple of the decisions they did make in the Ashes or against India.

For once I agree with you.

Even if they did blow it right at the end :mad:

Watched the first couple of hours last night, and went straight to the YouTubers highlights this morning without knowing the outcome. Fantastic match and NZ deserve the win.

Williamson being MoM was a bit wrong in my opinion. Southee belted his highest test score, took key wickets and achieved his first win as Captain (against arguably the best side in the world and being forced to follow on)

Back
Top Bottom