Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump the road that might not lead to the White House - Redux 2024 thread.

realized :)

I used to spell it realised but I inherited my (scottish) great grandfather's sermons from 1890s and looking through them he spelled with a z, so I decided that if it's good enough for my great grandfather ... :)

I'm dyslexic, and moved from the UK to Canada when I was eight. I could never remember which country had "s" and which had "z". The only easy one was tyres/tires.

realized :)

I used to spell it realised but I inherited my (scottish) great grandfather's sermons from 1890s and looking through them he spelled with a z, so I decided that if it's good enough for my great grandfather ... :)
Lots of current US ways of doing things are old British ways. The use of the unspaced em-dash is another case in point. I like em-dashes—pleasingly long.

Some UK publishers use -ize spellings. It's acceptable British spelling still.

Some UK publishers use -ize spellings. It's acceptable British spelling still.

until relatively recently, -ise / -ize was a matter of style, and both were acceptable in the UK.

microsoft decided that -ise was 'correct' in UK english and it's become more widely accepted that it is, and that -ize is american.

-ize was traditionally 'oxford' and -ise was 'cambridge'

there was a 1987 episode of inspector morse that hinged on morse realizing (or realising) that an apparent suicide note was a forgery, as an oxford don would not have used -ise...

tl;dw? The watch thing appears very much to be a scam to funnel >$15m of foreign donations in to Trump's campaign with no declarations at all. According to the watch's website the watches may look totally different to those pictured, they will be delivered in October, November, or December or some time after (never?), the watch co based in Wyoming which has total secrecy of company directors, payments can be made in untraceable crypto...

Last edited:
I really want that guy who did the 'they're eating the dogs, they're eating the cats' video to have a crack at this latest shit this afternoon...

The candidate went on: “These are the toughest people. These people are coming in from Africa, from the Middle East. They’re coming in from all parts of Asia, the bad parts, the parts where they’re rough, and the only thing good is they make our criminals look extremely nice. They make our Hell’s Angels look like the nicest people on earth.”

it's friday. worth a rewatch...

until relatively recently, -ise / -ize was a matter of style, and both were acceptable in the UK.

microsoft decided that -ise was 'correct' in UK english and it's become more widely accepted that it is, and that -ize is american.

-ize was traditionally 'oxford' and -ise was 'cambridge'

there was a 1987 episode of inspector morse that hinged on morse realizing (or realising) that an apparent suicide note was a forgery, as an oxford don would not have used -ise...
That's a good point. I hadn't thought about the influence of spell-checkers. Mine underlines realize in red and that's bound to have an effect.

The so-called 'Oxford comma' (standard in the US) is rarer in the UK now as well.

Thinking about it, publishers who use -ize usually also use the Oxford comma. Makes sense that they would go together, but I hadn't made the connection.

More lies and hatreds spread about migrants. Again with the claims that migrants are coming from asylums and bringing crime to the country.

Despite the fact that migrants commit less crime than American born folks.

Some users on Trump's Truth Social being taken for large amounts of money. They list some of them down in the article, people paying over money seems almost exclusively to supposed women, and making repeat payments to try to get money back even once it's clear they've been scammed. Hate scamming: whatever the trump supporters are like the scammers are a lot worse and tens of thousands of dollars richer.

Some users on Trump's Truth Social being taken for large amounts of money. They list some of them down in the article, people paying over money seems almost exclusively to supposed women, and making repeat payments to try to get money back even once it's clear they've been scammed. Hate scamming: whatever the trump supporters are like the scammers are a lot worse and tens of thousands of dollars richer.

You've gone soft mate, in this case I am with the scammers, fuck the Trump supporters.

There's some good lines in there :D

To be clear, this doesn’t just happen on Truth Social ... But if you were a scammer, who would you think might be the easiest marks on the planet, ready to believe anything a conman might say? If you said Trump supporters, you’re clearly not alone.

“Truth Social seems to be a target-rich environment for people who are easy to con.” :hmm:

Yes reading a couple of them it shows how easy it can be. Just your own bitcoin account number that you give them - if you get sophisticated you could show them a spreadsheet on a website for their 'balance' :eek:

No idea if it's been mentioned/discussed elsewhere but on the BBC's Storyville there's an interesting simulation/"war game" of a possible insurrection in the US over the trump/Harris election*.

*it's not actually trump/Harris; they use actors.

• Wow
Reactions: Ax^
The BBC makes it sound like the Trump shooting was an effort from the whole town, which is now possibly sad and defiant about the attempt's failure

chrome-capture-2024-10-5.png

Back
Top Bottom