Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump the road that might not lead to the White House - Redux 2024 thread.

realized :)

I used to spell it realised but I inherited my (scottish) great grandfather's sermons from 1890s and looking through them he spelled with a z, so I decided that if it's good enough for my great grandfather ... :)

I'm dyslexic, and moved from the UK to Canada when I was eight. I could never remember which country had "s" and which had "z". The only easy one was tyres/tires.

realized :)

I used to spell it realised but I inherited my (scottish) great grandfather's sermons from 1890s and looking through them he spelled with a z, so I decided that if it's good enough for my great grandfather ... :)
Lots of current US ways of doing things are old British ways. The use of the unspaced em-dash is another case in point. I like em-dashes—pleasingly long.

Some UK publishers use -ize spellings. It's acceptable British spelling still.

Some UK publishers use -ize spellings. It's acceptable British spelling still.

until relatively recently, -ise / -ize was a matter of style, and both were acceptable in the UK.

microsoft decided that -ise was 'correct' in UK english and it's become more widely accepted that it is, and that -ize is american.

-ize was traditionally 'oxford' and -ise was 'cambridge'

there was a 1987 episode of inspector morse that hinged on morse realizing (or realising) that an apparent suicide note was a forgery, as an oxford don would not have used -ise...

tl;dw? The watch thing appears very much to be a scam to funnel >$15m of foreign donations in to Trump's campaign with no declarations at all. According to the watches website the watches may look totally different to those pictured, they will be delivered in October, November, or December or some time after (never?), the watch co based in Wyoming which has total secrecy of company directors, payments can be made in untraceable crypto...

Back
Top Bottom