Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Domestic and European Rugby

Topsy says on latest itv gallagher roundup that it was just a blip, they've been paid now and apparently financing is coming from the US. :thumbs:

Two Welsh greats retiring from international rugby - announced today - Justin Tipuric and Alun Wyn Jones. Over 250 caps between the two of them. I wonder if any more of the big names in Welsh rugby will bail before a brutal World Cup training camp begins.

Probably the right call given Wales are rebuilding having been pretty poor for the last 12 months or more and it makes more sense to blood the next generation with a more experimental squad.

Very disappointing performance from Glasgow last night. Sometimes teams have to realise when certain things arent working & just take the points instead of constantly going for line outs from penalties. Probably wouldnt have changed the outcome but if they had gone in only 21-9 or 21-12 down at half time the second half would have been more interesting.

Premiership final is at 3pm on Saturday on ITV, Sale v Saracens. It’s Ford vs Farrell at fly half, and the Sale coach used to be a coach at Saracens for over a decade too, so a few subplots.

It would be nice for Sale to win as it’s their first final since 2006. Suspect Saracens will have too much for them - both teams have very strong defences with efficient and somewhat underrated attacks. It could prove a dull game but the weather forecast is good so hopefully a close game and perhaps a classic encounter.

On Sunday there is also an exhibition game on channel 5 at 2pm I think. An Eddie Jones coached Barbarians team vs a Rest of World XV coached by Steve Hansen, coach of the NZ 2015 World Cup winning team. These games are usually a bit silly, nothing riding on them so there’s tendency for a bit of champagne rugby, as the squads tend to feature exciting players to watch, plus usually a few retiring players.

Main point of media interest is that the nasty homophobe Israel Folau is playing for the rest of the world.

There’s also the United Rugby Championship final at 5:30pm on Saturday (tournament for Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Italian and South African teams :hmm: formerly the Pro 14) which sees Munster play the Stormers in Cape Town. I am not sure if it’s on free to air tv or not, have never watched a URC game. I may investigate a stream.

Not just Flats by the way, good commentary all round.

It never registered that van de Merwe is hooker he's so fast and athletic with it. Farrell playing a blinder too. Several on both sides in fact.

Stunning try :D

the main thing I don't like about itv is you can't flip back to replay something you didn't quite catch. I often end up five minutes behind real time with bbc because of that.

Eta: another stunning try :D

Eta eta: not another stunning try

Great to see Munster win. Wig has turned them around. I watched them against Exeter last season and they weren’t very good at all.

Did try to watch it but had difficulty signing in to channel 5 - may see if I can get it on catch up.

More bad news for English domestic rugby - London Irish look to be a goner. While the news cannot a good thing, realistically I don’t think London can sustain more than 2 clubs, particularly as they play in the same part of town as Harlequins.

So a 10 team premiership next year? No bye weeks and only 18 league games. Suppose it reduces the length of the season but also really puts the squeeze on club revenues as they now have only 9 home games.

Back
Top Bottom