Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Domestic and European Rugby

Breaking news Wasps Rubgy club have ceased trading

I'm not a sports fan but there was much laughter in the factory at my work when they said it just now on the radio. They wern't popular in coventry :D (don't think their original fans down south were too happy with the move up here either)

Funnily enough, the YouTube algorithm threw up a Jason Robinson compilation this morning, which that rather reminded me of.

Almost bizarre how some players seem to be able to see/find a way through.

Looking for space not contact!

Eddie Jones likely to be sacked tomorrow, only stumbling block is the pay out

Looking for space not contact!

Eddie Jones likely to be sacked tomorrow, only stumbling block is the pay out
Top coach called Wayne looking for work at the moment. Bags of international experience, won an away game in SA, seconds away from winning a slam. You could do a lot worse.

World Rugby has been thrown into crisis with Bernard Laporte suspending himself as vice-chairman after he was handed a two-year suspended prison sentence and fined €75,000 by a French court after being found guilty of corruption charges.

The verdict comes just nine months before France hosts the World Cup, over which there now hangs a considerable cloud.
Laporte, who is also president of the French rugby federation (FFR), was found guilty of a number of charges at a trial over influence peddling and illegally acquiring assets, including one relating to a £1.5m jersey sponsorship contract for the national team, awarded to friend and billionaire owner of the Top 14 champions Montpellier, Mohed Altrad.
Corruption can only affect more sports as big money gets involved. :(

Looks like Ulster v La Rochelle could be off due to a frozen pitch which is ironic given they’re sponsored by an insulation company

ITV highlights with Flats and Topsy are superb again, no doubt soon to go to paid-for ITV like Heartbeat now has :mad:

Had a bit of first half whilst working. Leinster being clinical. Premiership teams are hampered badly by the salary cap

Had a bit of first half whilst working. Leinster being clinical. Premiership teams are hampered badly by the salary cap
Really? The Tigers did okay away to cash rich Clermont. We’re lucky in Ireland in that our only pro team sport is rugby. And that in Leinster at least the clubs and not just the private schools are producing players, see Osborne today, a product of Naas rugby club.

the Leicester game was a cracker, as was what I saw of the second half of Munster v Saints.
Really? The Tigers did okay away to cash rich Clermont. We’re lucky in Ireland in that our only pro team sport is rugby. And that in Leinster at least the clubs and not just the private schools are producing players, see Osborne today, a product of Naas rugby club.

Come on, Leinster are basically the Ireland team and look like winners as the French teams aren’t really firing this year

Premiership teams are losing players left right and centre to other leagues, and teams are starting to view Europe as a distraction due to the stupid format. I find this pool stage very confusing but not sure who other than Leicester and Saracens are likely to qualify.

I would only back Saracens to get to the QF this year from the prem

the Leicester game was a cracker, as was what I saw of the second half of Munster v Saints.

Come on, Leinster are basically the Ireland team and look like winners as the French teams aren’t really firing this year

Premiership teams are losing players left right and centre to other leagues, and teams are starting to view Europe as a distraction due to the stupid format. I find this pool stage very confusing but not sure who other than Leicester and Saracens are likely to qualify.

I would only back Saracens to get to the QF this year from the prem
That’s more to do with how your clubs are run. Judging by wasps and the other one, some clubs are badly run yet some are well run too I’m thinking of Sale.

It’s not as if the premiership hasn’t had any cash, The clubs got bundles of cash from BT and CVC and went out and wrecked the HEC and the owners sprinkled their cocks with and flittered it away.

Throwing cash at the salary cap will cover up English club rugby’s issues but it won’t solve them.

Irish rugby is much poorer than the prem but Leinster’s governance is excellent as is Connacht’s. Munster and Ulster are prem levels incompetent.

That’s more to do with how your clubs are run. Judging by wasps and the other one, some clubs are badly run yet some are well run too I’m thinking of Sale.

It’s not as if the premiership hasn’t had any cash, The clubs got bundles of cash from BT and CVC and went out and wrecked the HEC and the owners sprinkled their cocks with and flittered it away.

Throwing cash at the salary cap will cover up English club rugby’s issues but it won’t solve them.

Irish rugby is much poorer than the prem but Leinster’s governance is excellent as is Connacht’s. Munster and Ulster are prem levels incompetent.
I think central contracts make a massive difference to Ireland. But will concede I know little about the structure other than it’s better than in England.

Governance is shit in English rugby. Sale have a very rich owner, that doesn’t make a club well run, it just means they can afford to be badly run!

Fair enough I know little about English rugby even though I live here. Ireland has 15 central contracts. Everyone else is on a provincial one. For instance JVDF is on a Leinster contract while Earls and Stockdale are centrally contracted. It’s not all good.

ETA corrections.

Last edited:
Just watched the latest ITV Premiership highlights, very enjoyable. Flats and Topsy have to be the most entertaining/enlightening sports commentators.

Back
Top Bottom