Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Domestic and European Rugby

I’ve missed most of the first half but it’s been a cracking second half so far
The whole game was excellent, the narrative of Sarries scoring two tries without reply, and then Sale steamrollering them for both a bonus point and denying Sarries in the losing bonus point.

That O'Flaherty try that was rightly disallowed was stunning too.

Not a bad game between Sarries and Quins today, with the highlight being Irné Herbst accidentally totalling referee Luke Pearce. The repeated replays of it on the big screen, and repeated cheers from the crowd made it even better.

Looks like London Irish are in financial trouble, could the prem go down to ten?

Years ago there was some pressure put on the IRFU to buy Irish via a proxy to help deal with the clogged up pathways for talent. Can’t see that happening now.

Aww that's a real shame I've been really enjoying watching them play this season (well highlights which is all I'm given nowadays)

Newcastle are also in trouble too and supposedly want to play in the championship from next season for budget / affordability reasons

The prem is borked. Where did the CVC money go? The URC is pretty perilous as well, although the impact of the Saffas has yet to be fully felt as the comp is still bedding in down there.

The prem is borked. Where did the CVC money go? The URC is pretty perilous as well, although the impact of the Saffas has yet to be fully felt as the comp is still bedding in down there.
That plus the Welsh debacle show that rugby isn't sustainable in its current form, and that's not even taking into account the huge financial hit that could be inflicted by the dementia lawsuit(s).

That plus the Welsh debacle show that rugby isn't sustainable in its current form, and that's not even taking into account the huge financial hit that could be inflicted by the dementia lawsuit(s).
The present incarnation of Super Rugby is really fucked. I no longer follow it on the tele but I do read the reports, the attendance is atrocious. The NRL is offereing a much more competitive product and in NZ the warriors are getting bigger crowds than the canes (although a comparison with the blues might be more instructive.) Some commentators are calling for a ditching of Super Rugby for an expanded NPC.

The present incarnation of Super Rugby is really fucked. I no longer follow it on the tele but I do read the reports, the attendance is atrocious. The NRL is offereing a much more competitive product and in NZ the warriors are getting bigger crowds than the canes (although a comparison with the blues might be more instructive.) Some commentators are calling for a ditching of Super Rugby for an expanded NPC.
Yeah, and then you have the SH unions entirely propped up financially by the AIs, without which they'd be bankrupt.

A chance to see Zach Mercer play at 8, he’s coming back to English rugby next season and will be eligible for England

Well, the Os-Sarries fixture served up what was quite possibly the most scandalous officiating I've ever had the misfortune to witness. That first Saracens try could and should have been called for 1) triple movement, 2) a knock on in contact and 3) no control on the grounding. It was absolutely fucking obvious to even the most casual observer that a try could not have been awarded. After 10,000 replays the ref and TMO decided that none of those things had actually happened and a new version of reality was imposed. This was right after an Os player being yellowed for a totally legal jackal and the Os scrum being penalised repeatedly for making the opposition fold like deck chairs. Wtf is the point in the game when some cunt decides to officiate it in a parallel universe?

Last edited:
Well, the Os-Sarries fixture served up what was quite possibly the most scandalous officiating I've ever had the misfortune to witness. That first Saracens try could and should have been called for 1) triple movement, 2) a knock on in contact and 3) no control on the grounding. It was absolutely fucking obvious to even the most casual observer that a try could not have been awarded. After 10,000 replays the ref and TMO decided that none of those things had actually happened and a new version of reality was imposed. This was right after an Os player being yellowed for a totally legal jackal and the Os scrum being penalised repeatedly for making the opposition fold like deck chairs. Wtf is the point in the game when some cunt decides to officiate it in a parallel universe?
Who was the ref?

Who was the ref?
Nika Amashukeli. Georgian ref. I've seen him officiate before and he is so far below acceptable standards it's ridiculous.. Trying to remember the game where I literally watched him coach an undeserved victory for one side or another.

Nika Amashukeli. Georgian ref. I've seen him officiate before and he is so far below acceptable standards it's ridiculous.. Trying to remember the game where I literally watched him coach an undeserved victory for one side or another.
Lol, he referees in the French league I think so will have picked up bad habits. I have to say I’ve quite enjoyed his ref style, and thought he was halfway decent. But then what do I know :D I didn’t see the first half though.

I think he’s being pushed heavily by world rugby and given he’s Georgian he could conceivably get a BIG game at RWC as he’s a neutral, wouldn’t be surprised to see him ref a semi final.

Shame that the last 16 all went with form, perhaps you could argue Exeter sort of winning was a surprise but then they were at home. Was really willing Gloucester on against La Rochelle yesterday but they just ran out of luck. The tournament stinks with the SA teams in there.

Lol, he referees in the French league I think so will have picked up bad habits. I have to say I’ve quite enjoyed his ref style, and thought he was halfway decent. But then what do I know :D I didn’t see the first half though.

I think he’s being pushed heavily by world rugby and given he’s Georgian he could conceivably get a BIG game at RWC as he’s a neutral, wouldn’t be surprised to see him ref a semi final.

Shame that the last 16 all went with form, perhaps you could argue Exeter sort of winning was a surprise but then they were at home. Was really willing Gloucester on against La Rochelle yesterday but they just ran out of luck. The tournament stinks with the SA teams in there.
He evened things up a bit in the second 40 but honestly the first half was a homer Odyssey. Think the winners probably deserved it and Webb's final quarter brainfart was genuinely unconscionable (if you haven't seen it yet, seek it out for the shits and giggles). Ah well. Os can exit the compo with heads held high at least.

I finally got round to watching the Exeter-Montpellier game today, and phew, that was dramatic. Well worth watching, if you get the chance.

Leicester v Exeter on itv at 3pm. Must win game for the chiefs if they’re to make the playoffs. If Leicester win they’ll be very close to securing their own playoff spot.

Also will be the last home game Chris Ashton will pay before retiring. He’s on 98 tries in the premiership. One of the all time greats - far better than he gets credit for as he’s a player the fans love to hate.

Considering he played a season in France (where he scored the most tries ever in a season), and one in the Championship (also got the most tries record) and that he started off in rugby league and he spent at least a season out of favour at Harlequins and Worcester he ought to be well above 100 tries. Decent strike rate internationally overall and also got the most Champions Cup tries.

By the way, what's happened to Luke Cowan-Dickie? I remember him pushing George quite close for the England number 2 jersey a few seasons ago, and now he's not even in the Chiefs matchday squad. Has he got a long term injury or something?

Should Exeter have collapsed so easily after the red? Tigers were rampant.
They were basically playing their team for next season already, with so many players leaving and will have half an eye on their European semi final. Baxter knew they had little chance in the league.
By the way, what's happened to Luke Cowan-Dickie? I remember him pushing George quite close for the England number 2 jersey a few seasons ago, and now he's not even in the Chiefs matchday squad. Has he got a long term injury or something?
Long term injury. Believe it’s neck related and potential doubts that he’ll move to Montpellier as no idea of a return to playing. There’s implications it could be a career ender from the media noise.

Long term injury. Believe it’s neck related and potential doubts that he’ll move to Montpellier as no idea of a return to playing. There’s implications it could be a career ender from the media noise.

And from reports he's fucked his move to Montpellier by going out on the piss the night before and turning up to his medical late and hungover :facepalm:

Have to say I can’t call this one. Leinster at home but minus Sexton, Lowe and Henshaw vs a huge Toulouse side. Of course if Doris and VdF can track DuPont then they may get a win. Probably will be the best game of the season.

Agree it’s by no means a full strength Leinster team and there’s a hint that they can be outmuscled by French teams, which I think might be why Nienaber is joining next season

I think that’s why Jason Jenkins and Baird are on the bench. I’m surprised will Connors didn’t make the bench as he’s a tackle machine.

Back
Top Bottom