Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do angry vegans turn you against going vegan?

Let's see your favourite vegan recipe.:thumbs:

I make a really good Cincinatti 3 bean chilli, served three ways (with three alternate toppings like cheese - vegan of course if it can be found - sundried tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, fried onions, oyster crackers...etc). I've made this for a group of vegans and veggies before and they loved it. Its all about the allspice, the fresh chilli, the cocoa powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, cinammon stick..... If you have non-vegans joining your table add cheese and sour cream :)

Tofu pho - much the same ingredients as a chicken one but with different stock.

Last edited:
There's that joke, 'How do you know if someone's vegan? Just wait, they'll tell you!' Hohoho.
I've encountered a few obstreperous vegans on the internet, but oddly never been harangued by meat eaters. I say oddly, because I don't currently eat meat, fish or dairy, yet I get vegans preaching bollocks and meat-eaters letting me get on with it. I don't know any vegans* in real life, but the meat-eaters still don't bother me. Anecdote is a fine thing.

*I do know four 'vegans at home' who will eat dairy when out if there is nothing else available, and eat eggs as a treat. They're not angry at all, but then they're not orthodox vegans, are they. All of us are just people living with themselves and their choices.

YouTube is full of vegans giving out about angry vegans

This is what it would look like if normal people started acting like vegans

I hope that video isn't "inappropriate content " and I don't get another warning for fuck all . Wouldn't want to piss a vegan off .

I make a really good Cincinatti 3 bean chilli, served three ways (with three alternate toppings like cheese - vegan of course if it can be found - sundried tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, fried onions, oyster crackers...etc). I've made this for a group of vegans and veggies before and they loved it. Its all about the allspice, the fresh chilli, the cocoa powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, cinammon stick..... If you have non-vegans joining your table add cheese and sour cream :)

Tofu pho - same ingredients as a chicken one but with different stock.

That sounds really tasty... the mix of spices and cocoa and cinnamon is intriguing.... :)

Last edited:
I bet that veggie loving mass murderer Hitler ate eggs and dairy products from time to time and he was certainly angry , nay livid for most of it. Thank god he lost....

An extended chapter of our talk was devoted by the Führer to the vegetarian question. He believes more than ever that meat-eating is harmful to humanity. Of course he knows that during the war we cannot completely upset our food system. After the war, however, he intends to tackle this problem also. Maybe he is right. Certainly the arguments that he adduces in favor of his standpoint are very compelling.[6]

I'm not going to link to the video because it's a YouTube channel by a nazi wanker . Who must be a vegan as well . But if you type in " hitler on vegetarianism and raw veganism " there's a few with numerous lengthy quotes from the fuehrer on the topic of veganism . He's even giving out about feeding milk to children . So that makes him a vegan, and not a run of the mill vegetarian . Also seems to want his dog to be one as well .

Hitler was vegan . No doubt about it .

None

The ultimate angry vegan .

Germans invented modern veganism in the late 19th/early 20th century as part of the naturmensch philosophy. They didn't like the growing industrialisation and nationalism in the cities and fucked off up to the mountains to get back to nature. One of them, Bill Pestor, emigrated to California where he influenced the Nature Boys of the 40s and 50s - proto hippies living al fresco in the Hollywood Hills who survived on foraged fruits, nuts and whatnot. The Nature Boys included eden ahbez (lower case please) who released the world's first psychedelic lounge record in the late 50s and Gypsy Boots, fitness guru and sometime actor/TV personality. They in turn influenced Jim Baker (aka Father Yod) who ran the world's best ever cult and released some gloriously demented heavy duty psychedelic albums in the early 70s. Prior to starting the cult, Jimbo had killed two men with his bare hands, had numerous affairs with other peoples wives, possibly robbed a few banks (could be just a rumour) and opened several health food restaurants. Jim tried hang gliding for the first time in 1975, promptly crashed into a hill and died shortly afterwards. What was the question again?

Last edited:
But we're not talking about killing animals for no good reason. We're talking about killing animals for food, which is a good reason.
It's not a good reason imo if it's not necessary, and for most of the planet it isn't. It is therefore a choice, and in my opinion rather a poor choice in the modern world given all the well documented negatives associated with meat eating from a health and environmental standpoint. One of the sticking points appears to be the ethical aspect whereby the meat eating advocates contend that there isn't a moral issue, and my opinion is that it is unethical and that it isn't moral. Apparently the fact that I haven't as yet changed my opinion to agree that killing animals is ok, makes me some kind of fundamentalist. :hmm:

The fact I or anyone else don't eat them myself is neither here nor there, or it's not a discussion, it's just advocacy.
Not sure what you're trying to say there. Are advocacy and discussion mutually exclusive? As far as I'm concerned, I'm contributing to a discussion. Ideas, viewpoints and opinions are being exchanged, as they would be in a discussion. If you are not happy with the format or the protocol, then I'm open to any suggestions or ideas that you think might be better. I don't have a problem with people expressing their point of view for consideration regardless of whether I agree with them or not. What spoils if for me is the pettiness and the cop-outs based on nit picking technicalities and side issues and the trolls deliberately trashing the thread.

Last edited:
but he ate meat.
He is a piss-take poster, a bit of a joke and not to be taken too seriously.

For balance, here is another point of view which is a bit more coherent.
--------------
Before we see the evidence that Hitler wasn't a vegetarian, it's important to look at where the argument that he was comes from, because it's an argument that's rarely made honestly. People who insist that Hitler was a vegetarian usually just "heard it" somewhere, and immediately assumed it was true. And yet, if you tell them that Hitler wasn't actually a vegetarian, these same people who instantly believed in Hitler's vegetarianism without question, will suddenly demand all manner of proof that he was not.

Why do they require such a high standard of evidence that Hitler was not a vegetarian, when they require no evidence at all that he was? Apparently many people want to believe that Hitler was a vegetarian. Perhaps they're threatened by vegetarianism because it implies that they're doing something wrong. But armed with the (mistaken) idea that the infamous Hitler himself was a veggie, that allows them to easily dismiss the whole concept of vegetarianism in one fell swoop. "Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore vegetarianism itself must be flawed!" Of course, that's a patently retarded argument. But the point is, many people are eager to believe it, which is why they require no proof at all when they hear that Hitler was a veggie, and then suddenly demand reams of supporting evidence when someone suggests he wasn't.

If you think I'm exaggerating about the importance that anti-veggies place on the idea that Hitler was a vegetarian, look at this letter that someone wrote to award-winning author John Robbins, who has written several books promoting a meatless way of eating:

You people who say that we would all be more peaceful if we ate a vegetarian diet always seem to forget that Adolph Hitler was a vegetarian. That pretty well destroys your belief system, doesn't it? (FoodRevolution.org)

My god, take a look at that: It pretty well destroys your belief system?! That's how important Hitler's alleged vegetarianism is to many non-veggies. Their belief is that if Hitler were a vegetarian, then vegetarianism itself is completely invalidated. Is it possible to be any more ridiculous than this?

Thinking people will realize that it wouldn't matter even if Hitler had been a vegetarian. That is, it would not "pretty well destroy [our] belief system". Bad people occasionally make good choices. This shouldn't be so difficult to understand. Had Hitler actually chosen to be a vegetarian, that would simply have been one of the better choices he made. If Hitler were fond of chess, that wouldn't invalidate chess. In fact, one of the best players in the history of the game, Bobby Fischer, was a raving anti-Semite, but nobody stops playing chess because of that.

And what if Hitler had been fond of chess? Would non-chess players taunt those who do play the game about that? No, because people who don't play chess generally don't give a flying flip about whether other people play it or not. They don't feel threatened by someone being a chess-player. But once the issue is vegetarianism, it's a different story. This should lay bare the motivations of those who champion the idea that Hitler didn't eat meat.

And of course, even if Hitler had been vegetarian, likely every single other mass-murderer in history was not. If you were keeping score, that would be, Vegetarian Mass Murderers: 1, and then Non-Vegetarian Mass Murderers: 100's.

And now we come to a curious battle: Hitler vs. Benjamin Franklin. Franklin was a vegetarian only for about a year, from the ages of 16 to 17 (ivu.org, 08016.com), but of course most people don't know that. If a meat-eater is (mistakenly) told that Franklin was a vegetarian, they'll often demand to know whether he ever ate meat, and if it's admitted that he did, well, then that's their "Aha!" moment. They'll triumphantly exclaim, "So Franklin wasn't really a vegetarian, was he?!" I'm sad to have witnessed numerous conversations that actually went that way.

That's important because the same people have much softer criteria for Hitler. Franklin could have eaten meat once every four years and his vegetarianism would be dismissed as a fraud, but if Hitler ever ate a potato, then bang! He's vegetarian. This is important because there are numerous accounts of Hitler eating meat throughout his life, and incredibly this is just brushed off by those who say Hitler was a veggie. But the standard for Franklin is different: Franklin has to avoid meat 100% of the time, for his entire life, from the day he's born to the day he dies, unwaveingly, otherwise he's not really considered a vegetarian at all. It's like if Hitler ever had a meatless meal then he's a vegetarian while if Franklin ate fish once after sixty years meat-free then he's not.

(To be clear, as we said earlier, Franklin was a vegetarian only for about a year, but most people don't know that. I'm talking about how people have different standards for Hitler's vegetarianism vs. anyone else's.)

So what constitutes being a vegetarian? Most would agree that it's a deliberate decision to not eat meat, for whatever reason. By that criteria Franklin was a vegetarian for a about a year, and for the rest of the time he wasn't. For Hitler, there's no compelling evidence that he stuck with a real veggie diet for any appreciable length of time. Multiple sources document him as eating meat throughout the 1930's. (See below.) Shortly before his death (in 1941 and 1942) he claimed to be vegetarian, and "Hitler was a vegetarian!" proponents have latched all over this. Because, Hitler wouldn't ever lie, or even exaggerate, would he? I mean, this is Hitler we're talking about, and who on Earth would ever question Hitler's commitment to the truth? After all, if you can't trust Hitler, then whom can you trust? If you were going to pick one person in the whole world whose word you would definitely accept unquestioningly, that person would be Hitler, right? I mean, surely we can believe that every word that ever came out of Hitler's mouth can safely be believed to be the absolute truth without any doubt at all, right?

Rynn Berry adds, "To be sure, Hitler professed to be a vegetarian..., but the primary sources that I have cited in my book show that while he paid lip service to vegetarianism, he was not consistent in his practice of the diet." (source)

The fact is, many people use the word "vegetarian" to describe diets that aren't vegetarian at all, and Hitler's case is no exception. An article from May 30, 1937, 'At Home With The Fuhrer' says, "It is well known that Hitler is a vegetarian and does not drink or smoke. His lunch and dinner consist, therefore, for the most part of soup, eggs, vegetables and mineral water, although he occasionally relishes a slice of ham and relieves the tediousness of his diet with such delicacies as caviar ..." (source) So when Hitler says he's a vegetarian, he's almost certainly using it in this context: He's a "vegetarian" who eats meat. That's like someone saying, "I'm not a bank-robber! I only do it once a month."

Still, for those who insist that we take Hitler at his word literally about his claiming to be a vegetarian in the 1940's, we have this gem from The Hitler Book, about Hitler's daily routine in 1944: "After midnight [Eva] would direct that there should be another light snack of turtle soup, sandwiches, and sausages." (source)

If Hitler was really a vegetarian, he was a sausage-eating one.

Hitler was not a vegetarian -- detailed article

Reading articles by vegan fanatics is about as reliable as reading articles written by the Phelps family . It's vegan propaganda . Hitler actively promoted veganism as a lifestyle . him and his mates planned to make it compulsory as soon as the war was over .

Yeah whateva...anyway, speaking of sausages, this morning I was listening to my current favourite broadcaster, Danny Baker who had the footballer Shay Given on as the celebrity guest for the world famous sausage sandwich game. Just before the question that gave the game its name, Louise Pepper, the shows co host made the fatal mistake of saying "...and we will accept a vegetarian sausage" which was quickly rebuffed by Danny. Then the first contestant revealed that he was a vegan, lol.

#TrueStory

[QUOTE="PaoloSanchez, post: 15151740, member: 73461"
If you think I'm exaggerating about the importance that anti-veggies place on the idea that Hitler was a vegetarian, look at this letter that someone wrote to award-winning author John Robbins, who has written several books promoting a meatless way of eating:

You people who say that we would all be more peaceful if we ate a vegetarian diet always seem to forget that Adolph Hitler was a vegetarian. That pretty well destroys your belief system, doesn't it? (FoodRevolution.org)[/QUOTE]

Angry vegans make me laugh, mostly, so thanks to Watermelon Man and all the other contributors who have given me (intentionally or otherwise) such pleasure reading their posts.

Q: What do you call a vegan bun-fight?

A: It's not vegan, it's NON-CARNIST :mad:

And now we come to a curious battle: Hitler vs. Benjamin Franklin. Franklin was a vegetarian only for about a year, from the ages of 16 to 17 (ivu.org, 08016.com), but of course most people don't know that. If a meat-eater is (mistakenly) told that Franklin was a vegetarian, they'll often demand to know whether he ever ate meat, and if it's admitted that he did, well, then that's their "Aha!" moment. They'll triumphantly exclaim, "So Franklin wasn't really a vegetarian, was he?!" I'm sad to have witnessed numerous conversations that actually went that way.
You have witnessed numerous discussion-battles about the comparative vegetarianism of Benjamin Franklin and Adolf Hitler?

I'm sort of impressed, and sort of confused, and surprised. Imfusprised, or sth. I clearly move in the wrong circles.

You people who say that we would all be more peaceful if we ate a vegetarian diet always seem to forget that Adolph Hitler was a vegetarian. That pretty well destroys your belief system, doesn't it? (FoodRevolution.org)

lol, you must have been reading my mind. I was going to post that video up earlier in the thread and made the apparently common mistake of searching for "One Bad Apple by the Jackson 5". (you messed up the quoting though :p)

Isn't it amazing the stuff you can find nowadays. Mr Red appears to be our very own home grown instant PHD Google scholar. Books? Who needs them.
lol, he also has a Youtube doctorate, undoubtedly the forum sage.

Books are fantastic. Amazon is my best friend.

The following books are the first two that I remember that piqued my interest in this sort of thing back in the day :-

upload_2017-7-16_11-23-54.png
The Rubbish on Our Plates by Fabien Perucca (4-Oct-1996) Paperback: Amazon.co.uk: Books

51XvDoxr%2BqL.jpg

Diet for a New America: How Your Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness & the Future of Life on Earth: Amazon.co.uk: John Robbins: 9780915811816: Books

I have a lot of respect for John Robbins. It was his father that started the Baskin Robbins the worlds largest chain of speciality ice cream shops. He chose not to follow in his fathers footsteps partly due to what he witnessed in the ice cream supply chain and turned his back on the millions he would have inherited. Top top bloke. :thumbs:

Angry vegans make me laugh, mostly, so thanks to Watermelon Man and all the other contributors who have given me (intentionally or otherwise) such pleasure reading their posts.

Q: What do you call a vegan bun-fight?

A: It's not vegan, it's NON-CARNIST :mad:

I saw a video about a slaughterhouse in London. Their chicken throat slitting machine had bust. They decide to boil the chickens alive as the most cost effective way. That lasted for 9 months.

Things like that make some people angry. I just think it's totally unnecessary. Just my take!

It seems to be talked about a lot re vegetarianism but I thought he ate dead animals? Anyway...
It's hardly the silver bullet is it? "Yeah but Hitler".... kind of irrelevant.
Some of the more ignorant haters appear to believe it to be their best argument against vegetarians/vegans. They appear to not see how ridiculous it is, bless 'em.

Doing a j'accuse on veggies because of Hitler is like saying, Gengiz Khan rode a horse so all horse riders are murderous tyrants. Pol Pot enjoyed curries, the emperor Tiberius drank wine!

Doing a j'accuse on veggies because of Hitler is like saying, Gengiz Khan rode a horse so all horse riders are murderous tyrants. Pol Pot enjoyed curries, the emperor Tiberius drank wine!
According to Mr Red, that kind of talk is just vegan propaganda. :rolleyes:

I saw a video about a slaughterhouse in London. Their chicken throat slitting machine had bust. They decide to boil the chickens alive as the most cost effective way. That lasted for 9 months.

Things like that make some people angry. I just think it's totally unnecessary. Just my take!

But here's the thing: You don't need to be a vegan to be angry at examples of cruelty to animals such as the one in your example, and just because I and others choose to include meat and/or other animal products in our diet does not make us personally responsible for all the (undoubted) sins of the food industry.

The sort of 'Vegan Anger' that leads people to label others "carnists" is more comical than anything, IMO, so thanks again for starting this thread and inadvertantly giving me a few chuckles at the absurdity of some of the things people have posted :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom