Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amber Rudd resigns and then returns (and resigns again)

I heard today that javids brother is a chief superintendent in a Midlands police force, and am suddenly suspicious of his 'son of a bus driver working class Pakistani lad made good through hard work and slavish devotion to Ayn Rand' image. I wonder how long his dad was a bus driver for...

I heard today that javids brother is a chief superintendent in a Midlands police force, and am suddenly suspicious of his 'son of a bus driver working class Pakistani lad made good through hard work and slavish devotion to Ayn Rand' image. I wonder how long his dad was a bus driver for...

Four years, when he went back to Pakistan to marry his wife when he returned he opened a clothes shop. I don't think he had a secret pot of gold anywhere.

Well, my dad worked shovelling shit in a sewage treatment works for a few years when I was young, but I'd never claim to be the son of a shit shoveller. I tell people I'm the son of a teacher, cause that's what he's done for most of my life. I suppose if I wanted to proletarianise my life for some reason or the other I could dig that out, mind.

Well, my dad worked shovelling shit in a sewage treatment works for a few years when I was young, but I'd never claim to be the son of a shit shoveller. I tell people I'm the son of a teacher, cause that's what he's done for most of my life. I suppose if I wanted to proletarianise my life for some reason or the other I could dig that out, mind.

They all do it, Sadiq Khan pulled the bus driver card, Thatcher has the grocer thing, May's dad was a vicar. Can't work out why Miliband didn't point out he was the son of the prominent Marxist academic?

going round twitter...

DcB0BASWAAEOvlW.jpg

I have been pondering that all morning, and I wonder if I'm being a bit racist. Javid is a mediocrity though, and there's little doubt in my mind that part of the reason he's been chosen is because it's useful to have a BME MP dealing with this particular clusterfuck.

Late to this particular party but...

Why would you wonder if you are being a bit racist?

Surely you know the answer to this?

Did you question if he was up to the job because of his ethnicity or did you wonder if he is being used by because of his ethnicity...or both?

Okay. Because you think my questions are a trap of some sort? :confused:

I was cautious about answering, but here goes.
Given the current situation around the immigration/deportation issue, I think the Tories are "fortunate" to have a non-white, talented and experienced minister they can slot into this role. I am sure Javid is well aware of that. No one is questioning his ability as a politician, but he is not being exploited by any means - if anything he holds the whip hand here. He is a politician who is on his way up, and would have moved into one of the "big jobs" anyway at some point soon, regardless of this episode.

Heard him speak once at an industry thing. He's a shrewd cookie. Typical politician. Typical fucking tory.

but his record at Education was far from brilliant. His attempts at rewriting the curriculum were scorned by left and right, and the English Baccalaureate completely failed.
On top of that, he managed to get virtually everyone working in education absolutely furious with him

I was cautious about answering, but here goes.
Given the current situation around the immigration/deportation issue, I think the Tories are "fortunate" to have a non-white, talented and experienced minister they can slot into this role. I am sure Javid is well aware of that. No one is questioning his ability as a politician, but he is not being exploited by any means - if anything he holds the whip hand here. He is a politician who is on his way up, and would have moved into one of the "big jobs" anyway at some point soon, regardless of this episode.

Heard him speak once at an industry thing. He's a shrewd cookie. Typical politician. Typical fucking tory.

Thanks for that. I feel pretty similar tbh though I admit to have been less aware of his background until today.

He is a Tory, pretty typical yes.

That's why I questioned the racism idea tbh. Expecting Conservatives not to be Conservatives is where the problem lies IMO. Being cynical about his appointment because of his class and ethnicity and how we already know that the tories will use such occasions to hide their racism is pretty obvious IMO.

The issue here would be expecting all POC to behave the same way and have the same values, that is obviously problematic and evident in some stuff I have read today. It is never expected of White people, regardless of their background.

. it is becoming unthinkable that boris johnson would stand again for leader after his frequent gaffes and lies in his post as foreign secretary.
more to the point, there's developed a near impregnable 'for God's sake, stop Boris at all costs' movement in the Parliamentary Party. As it stands right now, he simply doesn't have a prayer of making it to the final two

more to the point, there's developed a near impregnable 'for God's sake, stop Boris at all costs' movement in the Parliamentary Party. As it stands right now, he simply doesn't have a prayer of making it to the final two
Thank fuck for that.

A Javid v Rudd final wouldn't have been a bad bet a couple of weeks ago.

i

It's still very much possible, but she desperately needs to find a new, safe seat
She had a safe seat until the last election.....

Funny thing is, I've read stuff in the sensible media that talks about her being on the left of the Tory party, about how she's not really a "nasty" tory at all. But, being in the Home Office she had to defend everything that May had done before her, and pursue those policies vigorously. There is a lot of truth, I think, that she fell as a human shield for May. I don't think Javid will.

(side point - when I did history A level, dead politicians were referred to by their surname only - politicians still alive at the time the author wrote were referred to as "Mr Churchill" for example).

going round twitter...

DcB0BASWAAEOvlW.jpg

I take it his line will be "doing the right thing" for a few thousand elderly people from Commonwealth countries. Then it is back to deporting people.

I predict the hostile environment policy will stay.

So in practice little change.

As he is son of Commonwealth parents I wonder if he will push for reinstatement of right of ex colonial subjects to come to the "Mother" country. Like his parents did.

Highly unlikely I think.

He is a Tory. He has as you pointed out voted for all the nasty Tory recent policies on immigration.

She had a safe seat until the last election.....
Not really, not only did she only have a majority of just 2,000 after 2015, she had only won the seat back after Labour winning it in 1997 and holding it for most of the Blair era.
More importantly, it's demographics have been moving Labour's way pretty much continuously for the past few decades

I take it his line will be "doing the right thing" for a few thousand elderly people from Commonwealth countries. Then it is back to deporting people.

I predict the hostile environment policy will stay.

So in practice little change.

As he is son of Commonwealth parents I wonder if he will push for reinstatement of right of ex colonial subjects to come to the "Mother" country. Like his parents did.

Highly unlikely I think.

He is a Tory. He has as you pointed out voted for all the nasty Tory recent policies on immigration.

There will be a change; Javid will probably wheedle more money out of Hammond and he will spend it on going after people who have questionable immigration status and criminal records.

I read she's looking for a chicken run.
problem is, her options are limited.
For the sake of the look of it, it would have to be in Sussex.
That narrows it down to a small pool, because Sussex is a predominantly rural area, punctuated by a few small-medium towns, mostly (but not exclusively) on the coast. Hence it has quite a small number of constituencies, each covering a large geographical area.
The exceptions to this are Brighton and Crawley, and that brings us to her second problem. Both those two look
nailed on for Labour, unless your name is Caroline Lucas. And the same trend has hit the rest of Sussex. Eastbourne and Lewes are both hot Liberal Democrats targets.
Quite simply, a once rock solid True Blue county is looking shaker by the day. They'll find it hard to persuade the safest MPs to stand aside

Four years, when he went back to Pakistan to marry his wife when he returned he opened a clothes shop. I don't think he had a secret pot of gold anywhere.

It took 4 years to get marraid?

4 years in the Middle East?

Back in the 80's-90's?

He could be a sleeper cell (can one person be a cell) agent/lone wolf.

His brother, that we have been told, is in the uk police, whats his timeline like?

Dr. Jazzz would know.

Hope he brings the police force back to strength and stick police back to waking the beat and out of patrol cars.

Last edited:
Hope he brings the police force back to strength and stick police back to waking the beat and out of patrol cars.

Well that's not going to happen. Most of them are too fat to get out of their cars anyway.

Back
Top Bottom