Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

david cameron's time is up again

Even so, was pretty fucking quick, does Sunak have Charlie on speed-dial for emergency ennobling or something?
That's what I meant. I know you can get fast-tracked for just about anything these days - money talks, who you know, etc etc. Foreign Secretary via a seemingly emergency elevation to the House of Lords is a bit different from chucking a bit of money at Virgin Airlines so you don't queue for boarding with the oiks, though.

(ETA I'm not suggesting bribery here!)

But surely for the sake of looking credible, there must be checks and balances, approval by A Committee or summat?

Not that I am suggesting that, within the farce that passes for our political system, he wouldn't have passed said checks, balances and committee, or whatever, just that appointing someone on the (admittedly almost certainly right) assumption that they'll be in the Lords in a few days seems odd.

Last edited:
That's what I meant. I know you can get fast-tracked for just about anything these days - money talks, who you know, etc etc. Foreign Secretary via a seemingly emergency elevation to the House of Lords is a bit different from chucking a bit of money at Virgin Airlines so you don't queue for boarding with the oiks, though.

(ETA I'm not suggesting bribery here!)

But surely for the sake of looking credible, there must be checks and balances, approval by A Committee or summat?

Not that I am suggesting that, within the farce that passes for our political system, he wouldn't have passed said checks, balances and committee, or whatever, just that appointing someone on the (admittedly almost certainly right) assumption that they'll be in the Lords in a few days seems odd.

He doesn’t need to be appointed to the Lords to become a minister, that’s merely a convention. All he needs is the seal of office from the King.

Patrick Gordon-Walker was appointed Foreign Secretary after the 1964 general election despite not being in the Lords or Commons. He remained a minister for several months until failing to secure a commons seat in a 1965 by-election whereafter he resigned.

I really don't get this. It's certainly going to piss off the brectums, and I can't see remainers being particularly happy with Cameron. Who is it supposed to appeal to?

Liberal Tories who are tempted by Starmer but think he's a bit too Right-wing.

It is so true, especially the money talking bit. True enough its always happened, but i sense its getting worse and worse. Where i stay in the sticks there is an old listed building (protected by legislation for years) which actually prevented anyone purchasing it, despite its desirability due to its elevated spectacular view location. A few weeks ago it was demolished, virtually overnight. Turns out some local bigwhig has purchased it, with no planning related 'obstacles', and is already cracking on building something else on the same site. This is a petty example i know, but it illustrates the wider issue. Such practices seem to have become a commonplace. The wealthy well connected few call all the shots with impunity. And, as a consequence, their arrogance increases as each day passes. Ordinary folk with ordinary working lives are getting shafted more and more. Lords and Serfs here we come. Anyone want to buy a parliamentary seat?

Good appointment; he's got a track record of getting himself well in with the heads of foreign bodies and achieving a measure of satisfaction.
I doff my cap - clearly you spent a few hours knocking that one into perfect shape 🫡

I've been out and about today but coming to this thread, started at 9.58 this morning, and seeing it at +5 pages...it makes yer proud.

Back
Top Bottom