Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amber Rudd resigns and then returns (and resigns again)

I have been pondering that all morning, and I wonder if I'm being a bit racist. Javid is a mediocrity though, and there's little doubt in my mind that part of the reason he's been chosen is because it's useful to have a BME MP dealing with this particular clusterfuck.
I don't think being cynical about why he's been appointed is racist. I think if he's being appointed due to/mainly because of his skin colour, that's racist.

he's really not tho. At least, if he is, it is only because everyone else is utterly pigshit, not becasue of any talent he has himself. He's not as big a fuckwit as he looks is his man claim to intelligence.
I'm a bit bored of doing this tbh - he is surrounded by no-hopers, but he's still a significant talent. Look at his record, look at what people who've actually worked with/under him say. You might not like the things he does, but his ability to get things done is undeniable.

he's really not tho. At least, if he is, it is only because everyone else is utterly pigshit, not becasue of any talent he has himself. He's not as big a fuckwit as he looks is his man claim to intelligence.

I mostly remember his insistence that every school should be above average, with no mention of how this could be mathematically possible.

I'm a bit bored of doing this tbh - he is surrounded by no-hopers, but he's still a significant talent. Look at his record, look at what people who've actually worked with/under him say. You might not like the things he does, but his ability to get things done is undeniable.
Getting things done is not really a criteria for competence. For sure, he was less evil than predicted as Lord Chancellor, but his record at Education was far from brilliant. His attempts at rewriting the curriculum were scorned by left and right, and the English Baccalaureate completely failed. His success rate of a bit of a myth, really.

I think it would be naive to assume that any PM necessarily picks the most talented/ best suited candidate for important cabinet roles.

There may actually be a deliberate "don't strengthen that bastard Gove by giving him the job of HS" factor in TM's thinking.

I think it would be naive to assume that any PM necessarily picks the most talented/ best suited candidate for important cabinet roles.

There may actually be a deliberate "don't strengthen that bastard Gove by giving him the job of HS" factor in TM's thinking.
alternatively 'make gove home secretary, which in the current climate will expose his weaknesses and prevent him in future posing a leadership threat'. it is becoming unthinkable that boris johnson would stand again for leader after his frequent gaffes and lies in his post as foreign secretary.

Getting things done is not really a criteria for competence. For sure, he was less evil than predicted as Lord Chancellor, but his record at Education was far from brilliant. His attempts at rewriting the curriculum were scorned by left and right, and the English Baccalaureate completely failed. His success rate of a bit of a myth, really.
Gove pursued a very radical agenda at education, and some of the changes he proposed didn't work. The most significant thing he did there - academisation - has changed the face of education for the forseable future. And he pushed it through in the face of extreme resistance from the sector without even breaking a sweat.

Since then he aced it at justice, won the EU referendum, torpedoed Johnson's tilt at the leadership, and has even had George Monbiot championing him at Defra.

He's also a weird freak of a man. But the most dangerous member of the government, by miles.

Gove pursued a very radical agenda at education, and some of the changes he proposed didn't work. The most significant thing he did there - academisation - has changed the face of education for the forseable future. And he pushed it through in the face of extreme resistance from the sector without even breaking a sweat.

Since then he aced it at justice, won the EU referendum, torpedoed Johnson's tilt at the leadership, and has even had George Monbiot championing him at Defra.

He's also a weird freak of a man. But the most dangerous member of the government, by miles.
if by aced it at justice you mean reversing cuts he'd imposed, then he did indeed ace it at justice. and the thing people recall most about gove's (and johnson's) brexit campaign was the £350m per week for the nhs, which clearly isn't happening. as for his being championed by monobot that'll hardly be noticed outside the guardianistas of the home counties.

alternatively 'make gove home secretary, which in the current climate will expose his weaknesses and prevent him in future posing a leadership threat'. it is becoming unthinkable that boris johnson would stand again for leader after his frequent gaffes and lies in his post as foreign secretary.

I fear you may be underestimating his sheer brass neck...

It's 4 years since Gove was Education Secretary and the mention of his name still sends my wife who is a teacher and active union member off on a long angry rant, He does seem to be getting some good stuff done at Environment though, being a weird arrogant shit and being (relatively) competent aren't necessarily contradictory. It's possible he came to the environment job without the pre-conceived ideology he obviously brought to Education.
As for Javid versus Rudd it's basically a case of the devil and the deep blue sea as far as I can see.

James Brokenshire of mandatory immigration status checks for tennancies fame replaces Javid at communities and housing.

Back
Top Bottom