Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hatred against people on disability benefits getting ramped up again

They're determined to jump the shark. :(

I think now that hygiene banks are a thing in pharmacies, the shambolic successive leaders we have had and their ugly mugs and attitudes; it is only the rigged establishment powering them, whilst Starmer can't as much raise an eyebrow or frown without creating a furore that will see the cunts back in.

I think now that hygeine banks are a thing in pharmacies, the shambolic successive leaders we have had and their ugly mugs and attitudes; it is only the rigged establishment powering them, whilst Starmer can't as much raise an eyebrow or frown without creating a furore that will see the cunts back in.
We badly need some kind of reset of expectations...

'There's no profit in it' is a basic fear of God principle btw. People are sure to the point of calling people who believe in Jesus Christ 'nutters' and a 'joke', but upon my soul and word it's all true.

Because their Rwanda policy lies in ruins they have looked to the next easy target to give a good kicking. I think it might be in their DNA.

I have a friend with one arm and one leg, the DWP ruined their ability to work.

When they did work, like many jobs it eventually came to an end or change of circumstance. DWP was not there as a support, something that they depended on instead became a humiliating battle to get money that was rightfully theirs.

It is morally wrong to cut this service, those in power should be ashamed

Seems odd and illogical ordering sick people back to work whilst simultaneously sending healthy people to Rwanda. Surely the latter could fill the job vacancies?

Could you please not encourage the current government to conflate their more vicious policies? I don’t want to be deported to Rwanda in a grand resettlement of the sick.

They're really fucking going for it:

Yeah, sure there's plenty of jobs out there suitable for people with all sorts of disabilities, and working from home isn't even really working is it?

And surely most WFH jobs that the Tories seem to think are the answer are likely to require high level qualifications/experience levels which people with disabilities are less likely to have (mainly due to barriers, not lack of ability).

And surely most WFH jobs that the Tories seem to think are the answer are likely to require high level qualifications/experience levels which people with disabilities are less likely to have (mainly due to barriers, not lack of ability).

It’s true that jobs which skilled professionals can do from home once they have built their internal and external reputations are much trickier to access for people who are permanently disabled.

But there is a lot of call centre work - outbound telesales, first line support, etc - which is currently offshored or nearshored, and in theory could be parcelled out to the housebound on zero-hours or piecework contracts which minimise the risk to the end customer and ensure the disabled contractor takes on all the risk of slow or inefficient work.

This is likely the plan. Even though it is a type of service which is very much threatened in the long term by AI chat bots. And attempting to hit targets and make a living will be particularly dangerous for people who are made more ill by over-work.

WFH is working fine - the government however insists that we shouldn't be WFH

I think the argument made by the Tory commentariat, or by MPs who expect to have to earn a living as pundits after the election, is that everyone who can walk should go to an office and - crucially - should buy a newspaper on the way. People who can’t walk should still find some way to be exploited, as a matter of public duty.

It’s true that jobs which skilled professionals can do from home once they have built their internal and external reputations are much trickier to access for people who are permanently disabled.

But there is a lot of call centre work - outbound telesales, first line support, etc - which is currently offshored or nearshored, and in theory could be parcelled out to the housebound on zero-hours or piecework contracts which minimise the risk to the end customer and ensure the disabled contractor takes on all the risk of slow or inefficient work.

This is likely the plan. Even though it is a type of service which is very much threatened in the long term by AI chat bots. And attempting to hit targets and make a living will be particularly dangerous for people who are made more ill by over-work.
I was thinking presumably they'd be pushing call centre work - and like you, that its prospects are not long term given the way chatbots are developing. But also, call centres are hardly a job for everyone - honestly, I think working in one would kill my mental health and I don't even have any issues. Being shouted at and insulted all day by angry customers - that's a great job for someone with depression severe social anxiety.

I was thinking presumably they'd be pushing call centre work - and like you, that its prospects are not long term given the way chatbots are developing. But also, call centres are hardly a job for everyone - honestly, I think working in one would kill my mental health and I don't even have any issues. Being shouted at and insulted all day by angry customers - that's a great job for someone with depression severe social anxiety.

Yep, was thinking a bit parochially about the dangers. MH exacerbation is likely the most glaringly bad consequence, and hopefully MH charities will be at the forefront of ensuring that Labour doesn’t willingly inherit this policy.

Tom Waters, an associate director at IFS, said: “Of the 370,000 people who will lose out from this reform, the overwhelming majority are expected to nonetheless remain on benefits, just with a lower level of income. Only 10,000 – 2.7% of those affected – are expected to move into work.”
from the guardian link.

Labour are focusing on "hardworking"
this is the beg email from Reeves after the budget
Today, the Chancellor laid bare the full scale of the damage 13 years of Tory failure has done to our economy. It is staggering that, despite all of Hunt's promises today, working people are still worse off. It's too little, too late.

If today shows us anything at all, it’s that we can’t have another five years of Rishi Sunak and Jeremy Hunt - they are weak, out of touch and out of ideas.

Labour is the party that will make working people better off.

Will you contribute any amount to the general election fund today? The amount doesn’t matter as much as the contribution - we’ll make sure it gets put to good use. If you want Rishi Sunak and Jeremy Hunt out of government and Labour in, your donation will help us to do it:

Donate

A Labour government would tackle the cost of living and grow our economy. We’d boost wages, bring down bills and make working people better off.

We’ll invest in clean energy, build more homes and cut NHS waiting lists so people can get back to work.

Only Labour can be trusted to end the managed decline of the Tories, grow the economy and make working people better off.

Help us to do it. With your contribution, we’re that much closer to kicking the Tories out of Downing Street and winning the next general election for working people.

Thank you,

Rachel Reeves
Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer

get fucked.

Liz Kendall, a simulacrum of a human being created to house a shard of the shattered soul of blair, is going to keep all the bad things. All we are promised is efficiency.

from the guardian link.

Labour are focusing on "hardworking"
this is the beg email from Reeves after the budget

get fucked.
Just looked it up, and it's been just over exactly ten years since Reeves gave her "Nobody should be under any illusions that they are going to be able to live a life on benefits under a Labour government... We would be tougher [than the Conservatives]... we are tough and will not allow people to linger on benefits" interview.

What I’m not hearing in any of the recent cycle of WCA sabre-rattling is any suggestion about means testing PIP. Which I’m sure was being mooted at some point. Hopefully that at least was squashed in one of the consultation rounds, perhaps because it conflicted with some other pillar of dog-whistled cruelty.

Just looked it up, and it's been just over exactly ten years since Reeves gave her "Nobody should be under any illusions that they are going to be able to live a life on benefits under a Labour government... We would be tougher [than the Conservatives]... we are tough and will not allow people to linger on benefits" interview.
Exactly. In some ways they scare me more than the actual Tories (though Labour are effectively Tories), because they'll really go for this (again) and more people will make excuses for them than they would the Conservatives ("yeah but look at the alternative") but their policies on welfare will be at least as dangerous.

Exactly. In some ways they scare me more than the actual Tories (though Labour are effectively Tories), because they'll really go for this (again) and more people will make excuses for them than they would the Conservatives ("yeah but look at the alternative") but their policies on welfare will be at least as dangerous.

"Nobody should be under any illusions that they are going to be able to live a life on benefits under a Labour government"

Not going to be able to live a life. On benefits. So death then.

"Nobody should be under any illusions that they are going to be able to live a life on benefits under a Labour government"

Not going to be able to live a life. On benefits. So death then.
I am incapable of meeting the employment requirements of most employers. And the DWP currently accepts that. But the Labour Party doesn’t?

Mind you, I agree with the wording. I’m under no illusions that the Labour Party wants me to live any kind of life.

We are not the party of people on benefits. We don’t want to be seen, and we're not, the party to represent those who are out of work," she said.

"Labour are a party of working people, formed for and by working people."

that was reeves back in 2015. Chess club arsehole. Never read a book on the formation of the labour movement that wasn't written by a Spectator contributor.

The lead story in the Times today is that PIP uptake has increased dramatically since it, er, was gradually introduced to replace DLA, and that some of the recipients have mental health conditions.

Not really clear who is pushing this non-story, or why. IFS is main body cited.

But the Sun is simultaneously running a dog-whistle story about all the fabulous loot you can claim if you are lucky enough to have a PIP golden ticket. Something is up.

That article seems to be encouraging their readership to rush forth and claim away which isn't very typical of The Wapping Liar. I noted in the article that it claims the maximum vehicle tax is £2695??
That amazed me so I checked and it seems it indeed is and this is a sample list of vehicles that would be eligible to pay that rate
  • The Lamborghini Aventador.
  • Bentley Continental GT Supersports.
  • Maserati GranTurismo.
  • Ferrari GTC Lusso.
  • Bentley Mulsanne.
  • Aston Martin Vantage.
  • Rolls Royce Dawn.
Let's face it if you can afford to drive round in one of these beasts, you probably can't be arsed to claim PIP.

Back
Top Bottom