Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current phenomenon, with all its excesses and implications, is, as I said, very much a new one.

If an opinion isn't judgemental, it isn't worth holding.

hmm, I recall reading somewhere of polynesian folks who had their legs heavily tatooed. I'd look it up if I could be arsed- but the idea was full sleeve job done on one leg. Full of meaning about their route to becoming a drummer...what frauds they must have been.

The current phenomenon, with all its excesses and implications, is, as I said, very much a new one.

No, it's not new, it has just moved that's all. What are these implications you are so concerned with?

If an opinion isn't judgemental, it isn't worth holding.

Opinions can also be shite and factually ignorant. They too aren't worth holding.

no, you think she is a target of ire for being a woman and being m/c. I disagree but I don't want to fall out with you about it so agree to differ? unless I'm reading you wrong about why you think she gets stick on here and the wider webz?

Oh and also - every time I read this thread I'm bloody glad that Twitter wasn't around when I was LP's age.

Oh and also - every time I read this thread I'm bloody glad that Twitter wasn't around when I was LP's age.

I'll give you that one- my brainfarts and the 'rumour mill' were a lot less grevious when there was not instantaneous, unremovable evidence of that time you made a cunt of yourself by saying something ffs- fucking facebook an twiter

No, it's not new, it has just moved that's all. What are these implications you are so concerned with?

The implication of paying for what amounts to self-harm and voluntary disfigurement is that something has gone badly wrong with the collective psyche.

i have, you haven't.

i think you're just talking bollocks. the idea that previously only convicts and ex services had tattoos is complete bollocks for a start.

I never said only convicts and ex-services had tattoos, and I'm not interested in being followed round and shouted at by a theme ranty oddball.

I'll give you that one- my brainfarts and the 'rumour mill' were a lot less grevious when there was not instantaneous, unremovable evidence of that time you made a cunt of yourself by saying something ffs- fucking facebook an twiter

Also - I don't want to argue either - but I don't see your argument on this one. China Mieville stood for election, which we agree is attention-seeking, and yet that is somehow evidence that he isn't as bad as LP? :confused:

The implication of paying for what amounts to self-harm and voluntary disfigurement is that something has gone badly wrong with the collective psyche.

Has paying for a tattoo always been an indication of something wrong with the 'collective psyche'?

Has paying for a tattoo always been an indication of something wrong with the 'collective psyche'?
something must have been collectively wrong with the black country before the great war then. a time of the prarie fire chainmakers strikes and the new unionisation.

That includes your dad I presume?

I wish people would follow the argument. It's quite clear, after all, that I've been saying that the old, more discreet ways of getting tattooed were different to today's disfiguring of entire limbs in a quest to hide the lack of any discernible individuality.

As for my dad, it was a relatively small forearm thing. I think he regarded it as a youthful folly.

I wish people would follow the argument. It's quite clear, after all, that I've been saying that the old, more discreet ways of getting tattooed was diffrent to today's disfiguring of entire limbs in a quest to hide the lack of any discernible individuality.

As for my dad, it was a relatively small forearm thing. I think he regarded it as a youthful folly.

So individual tatts are ok, but full sleeves are not. Neither are visible tattoos on older women.
How about half-sleeves, then? Where do you draw the line.

I wish people would follow the argument. It's quite clear, after all, that I've been saying that the old, more discreet ways of getting tattooed was diffrent to today's disfiguring of entire limbs in a quest to hide the lack of any discernible individuality.

But again that's not new neither, it's just moved here. Whole body tattoos are ancient aswell.

Aaaahh, getting a big tattoo de facto = lack of individuality. Really? Care to explain this burp?

middle class people are having tattoos just like the oiks. it's an outrage! nice ladies who should be wearing pearls! :mad:

Amazing how self-styled revolutionaries can delude themselves into claiming a totally commercially driven bit of celebrity trash culture is some kind of sign of working class vibrancy.

[

No, because, as it seems like I keep having to repeat, it wasn't anywhere near as widespread and hence not so lucrative a business, and people didn't usually cover entire limbs with garish colours that look from a short distance like awful burns or scars.

Amazing how self-styled revolutionaries can delude thyemselves into claiming a totally commercially drive bit of celebrity trash culture is some kind of sign of working class vibrancy.

Where did anyon do/say anything of the kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom