Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well all I know is you meet working-class Brits all over the world, probably more than any other nation in fact, so they manage to get there somehow, Lord knows it's a terrible mystery though.
Working-class does not mean dirt poor.

That is not the same as saying that anyone could find £200 + expenses to swan off at the drop of a hat, still less blow it on a vanity trip to Egypt. One third of the workforce earn less than £15k gross. Don't you think most might have more pressing things to do with a £200 windfall, let alone the lost earnings?

Yes, you can get to Cairo for £232 return from London, if you want to travel next month and you don't mind a stopover in Rome for a night.

If you want to go tomorrow for a fortnight it's £313 and a night in Amsterdam.

There are more expensive options that go direct, starting at £335.

phildwyer said:
It costs about 200 quid to get to Cairo, and is so cheap once you're there that you actually spend less than you would in London.

does that include a handjob from an assassins girlfriend in the price

You could earn it in a week.
Maybe you could. Whether it involves you doing something dangerous, unpleasant or immoral is another matter.
Just get yourself down the docks.
I rest my case.
You not telling me that an able-bodied, intelligent young man such as Firky couldn't put his hands on 200 quid if he really wanted to, in today's London?
If he was ruthless and had next to no self respect, maybe he could. Whether he should isn't the same thing, and you know it.
even if you can earn 200 quid in a week that predisposes that you've got other money to pay for other shit. also don't forget that although it might be cheap in cairo <snip>you will still have to withdraw money once your there and the bank charges overseas aint cheap.
Agreed about needing to find a lot more than £200. OTOH no need for bank charges if you travel with cash withdrawn in advance stuffed into hidden pockets or your underwear - which gets a bit sweaty.
does that include a handjob from an assassins girlfriend in the price
I have very little doubt that dwyer would find a way to persuade her into paying him for giving him that, or he thinks he might. :rolleyes:

It costs about 200 quid to get to Cairo, and is so cheap once you're there that you actually spend less than you would in London.

On that 200 quid flight to Cairo, do you get to go in the cockpit? Have you ever seen a grown man naked, Phil?

Yes, because that's a sensible thing to do dwyer :rolleyes: Do fuck off.

I didn't say it was sensible. It was Firky who expressed the desire to go to Cairo, while lamenting what seems to him the complete impossibility of his ever attaining that goal.

Must be nice to go to suddenly decide to go to Cairo. If you and I were going to Cairo it would be planned, saved up for, and anticipated months if not years in advance. She suddenly announces it one day as if it was no different to going to the shop. Must be nice to have that kind of privilege and lifestyle or work in an environment where that sort of thing is normal. Could be in Cairo next week, New York the week after that and then back to the hovel in London. Hard life.

The other half, eh?

I merely pointed out to him that a trip to Cairo really isn't the beyond the bounds of possibility, at least not for a young single man. If he really can't earn 200 quid, I noted, it is entirely possible to hitch-hike.

But it would appear that you cannot even imagine doing such an incredible thing, which I must say is not entirely surprising in view of the general range and tenor of your posts as a whole.

Agreed about needing to find a lot more than £200.

You could easily spend a month in Cairo for 300 quid, including rent, amenities, food and moderate entertainment. Which is a lot less than you'd spend in London, thus saving you back the cost of the flight and more.

Also you can buy clothes, jewelery etc and sell it when you get back.

OTOH no need for bank charges if you travel with cash withdrawn in advance stuffed into hidden pockets or your underwear - which gets a bit sweaty.

Yep, I don't use credit cards in the third world anyway.

I have very little doubt that dwyer would find a way to persuade her into paying him for giving him that, or he thinks he might. :rolleyes:

I didn't think I might but I did.

You could easily spend a month in Cairo for 300 quid, including rent, amenities, food and moderate entertainment. Which is a lot less than you'd spend in London, thus saving you back the cost of the flight and more.

Also you can buy clothes, jewelery etc and sell it when you get back.<snip>
With what shall I buy it? Also, your idea of what I live on in London is way off the mark.

Who's that with? I saw £330 with Alitalia to fly out on Saturday for two weeks. Not sure if I'd want to be in Cairo at the moment though.

The price I saw was to Luxor, it was a "flight only" package deal with, I believe, Thompson... or similar British agent anyway.

And I assume you can get from Luxor to Cairo for next to nothing. I think it would be a great time to be there, obviously you'd have to watch your back and that....

Yes dwyer.

The tenor of my posts which quite recently mentioned how I spent several months in North America and Canada, parts of Europe - sometimes just for a weekend etc. But this isn't about me is it? It's about you, being bored on a Monday night. I don't blame you, I used to wind people up on here too.

You're usually better at trolling than this mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom