Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
*toddles off to read more about intersectionality*

But from what I have read, imagine a whiny Carl Sagan saying "to create an apple pie, you must first create the universe" to a group of people that includes cordon bleu chefs and starving children.

It's almost as if The Lez forced the maoists to kick off the people's war by the power of sheer prickery.

:D

Here's Lezard attacking tourists (inauthentic ones ??) in that article linked earlier:

There was another one of those stupid studies, reported on last week in some of the papers, that London has not made it into even the top 50 of the world’s most liveable cities. The knee-jerk response to this is scorn. Yeah, right, that’s why no one wants to live here, property prices are so low, and it doesn’t take 15 minutes to get down the steps of Baker Street station because they are clogged with gawping, idiotic tourists.
(I know it is wrong to judge a book by its cover but these tourists are idiotic. You know they couldn’t pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel, not only because of their zombie-paced, shuffling gait – one sometimes wishes one were a New Yorker so one could be rude to them with impunity – but also because they all eat in McDonald’s. What kind of degenerate Morlock goes all the way to a foreign city and then stuffs his pimply face with a Big Mac?)

http://www.newstatesman.com/society/2009/06/shepherd-bush-london-city

A Morlock is a reference to the cannibalistic animal-like underground race (descended from industrial workers) in the future in H G Well's The Time Traveller.

I blame Balbi's idea.
leftversion.jpg
Now endorsed by New Statesman's Daniel Trilling :D

https://twitter.com/trillingual/status/289721898651230208

:confused: First to lose their king and queen wins?

There's a standard variant of Chess called "Suicide Chess" where the aim is to force your opponent to take your pieces and whoever gets them all taken first is the winner, not specifically to losing the King and Queen though but could and no doubt has been adapted (at least for losing the King, that's kind of obvious given the aim of Chess)

1. Helen Lewis@helenlewis
    @WeekWoman It's made by left-wingers to take the piss out of the lack of diversity in the commetariat. They have a point.
    Details
  2. 3m
    Week Woman@WeekWoman
    @helenlewis I realise it's made by soi-disant left-wingers, but it sounds more to me like it's mocking the concept of asking for more
    Details
  3. 2m
    Week Woman@WeekWoman
    @helenlewis diversity / asking for more awareness of diversity from the commentariat to me. That's what I found disturbing.
    Details
  4. 56s
    Helen Lewis@helenlewis
    @WeekWoman Isn't the point that diversity is limited to one thing in each case? As in, there are "acceptable" diversities

1. Helen Lewis@helenlewis
    @WeekWoman It's made by left-wingers to take the piss out of the lack of diversity in the commetariat. They have a point.
    Details
  2. 3m
    Week Woman@WeekWoman
    @helenlewis I realise it's made by soi-disant left-wingers, but it sounds more to me like it's mocking the concept of asking for more
    Details
  3. 2m
    Week Woman@WeekWoman
    @helenlewis diversity / asking for more awareness of diversity from the commentariat to me. That's what I found disturbing.
    Details
  4. 56s
    Helen Lewis@helenlewis
    @WeekWoman Isn't the point that diversity is limited to one thing in each case? As in, there are "acceptable" diversities
We are so lucky having all these super clever people to tell us what it all means :cool:

What does soi-distant (or even disant) mean anyway? Always makes me think of Soap Distant, that hollow earth Robert Rankin character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom