Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get over the way the dispossessed take over-privileged, posturing, politically illiterate 'creative' types to their very blossom...every time. Do they possess some kinda peasant folk-instinct which senses the solidarity and compassion?

I fuckin loved the 'couldn't wash-up' business'.

Do not fuss comrade señorita...your place in ze struggle eez not here in ze kitchen wiz us simple folks...your gifts are wasted here, your role eez to rouse ze whole world to our plight.

The analysis of pictures of my bedroom is really creepy, guys. I'm really sorry for having a window and a bed, though. Am I not allowed to write about class politics if I have a window and a bed? Should I knock out the window and sleep on the floor?

Anyway, your dismissal of 'identity' politics is getting desperate. You seem really, really anxious to convince yourselves that only the politics of white working class men is actually relevant to economic and social struggle. Those of us who are and who fight for women, people of colour and minorities don't call it 'identity politics', by the way. We just call it 'politics.'

Agree with you about women in boardrooms, though. Terrible straw woman of a non-argument that elides the reality of gender oppression.

I thought it was a hovel not a bedroom. Do make your mind up.

Now you will swan off again like Lady Muck because you're too afraid to engage with the scary fake lefties.

@lauriepenny

Yes, the whole 'women in the boardroom' quota stuff really makes me angry. I feel that I'll never be judged solely on my merits, no matter how hard I work. I think it's also insulting to women who are already on boards.

@lauriepenny: Also, don't post any photos publically on the internet unless you want them dissected endlessly, by anybody. Because somewhere in the world, someone doesn't like your bedspread.

Anyway, it was an objection to the word 'hovel', given than there's some on this thread who are paying rent to landlords who can't fix mould/damp problems.

I like that you've returned :)

Well exactly- claiming that more women in the boardrooms will somehow solve gender equality conveniently brushes over the fact that the boardrooms are still the problem. It's feminism as a decoy for rampant neoliberalism, and I hate it. I honestly couldn't care less about women in the boardrooms. When are people going to start asking en masse whether a female cleaner, as opposed to a female banker, can 'have it all'?

Anyway, your dismissal of 'identity' politics is getting desperate. You seem really, really anxious to convince yourselves that only the politics of white working class men is actually relevant to economic and social struggle. Those of us who are and who fight for women, people of colour and minorities don't call it 'identity politics', by the way. We just call it 'politics.'

You are the only imposing that view. It stinks. You stink. You are rancid.

You seem really, really anxious to convince yourselves that only the politics of white working class men is actually relevant to economic and social struggle.

Let's see some evidence of this. One single post. Just one.

For the record it wasn't me that called it the Hovel- it's Nick's name for the house, I think he used to be a lot richer once. It's pretty grim and the landlord won't fix the bathroom and it's bloody cold, but it's still the nicest place I've lived in London by some way.

@lauriepenny

Yes, the whole 'women in the boardroom' quota stuff really makes me angry. I feel that I'll never be judged solely on my merits, no matter how hard I work. I think it's also insulting to women who are already on boards.
The use of quota systems for *any* position doesn't tend to go well. Someone gets discriminated against with positive discrimination as well as the negative kind.

Well exactly- claiming that more women in the boardrooms will somehow solve gender equality conveniently brushes over the fact that the boardrooms are still the problem. It's feminism as a decoy for rampant neoliberalism, and I hate it. I honestly couldn't care less about women in the boardrooms. When are people going to start asking en masse whether a female cleaner, as opposed to a female banker, can 'have it all'?
So, let's see you take on rather than talk for the fawcett society.

I am an engineer. I do not describe myself as a female engineer because a man wouldn't describe himself as a male engineer. To describe someone's job or profession in context with their gender, and tie the two together, is the antithesis of what feminism set out to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom