Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were a bit more involved in actual movements, I'll grant you. But they have a tendency to see political events through the lens of their own self-importance - Ali's "Street Fighting Years" is cringeworthy
There's a whole network of things that needs to be in place here though - the privilege (check for tariq), the media they used and how they got there, the stuff they actually did and so on - not just how pompous and self-important they were. I can't see why you would compare DCB with a light-weight journo who has never done anything.

177 pages in and I'm still not sure why she matters. Is anybody aware of her outside Britain's perpetually shrinking radical left milieu? And even if they were to somehow come across her, wouldn't they have forgotten her and her incoherent, juvenile politicking within minutes, if not seconds?

177 pages in and I'm still not sure why she matters. Is anybody aware of her outside Britain's perpetually shrinking radical left milieu? And even if they were to somehow come across her, wouldn't they have forgotten her and her incoherent, juvenile politicking within minutes, if not seconds?
She's the most visible media effect of the "Occupy" wave of protests. Few have heard of her, but she's about as high-profile as the libertarian left gets these days. Plus she's interesting as she sums up a lot of things that are toxic about journalism, about self-appointed radical leaders, about the way private schooled protesters generally elbow their ways to the front.

if you don';t know why it matters, you're clearly not going to understand why it does.

if you don';t know why it matters, you're clearly not going to understand why it does.

As far as I can see, it only matters to a tiny minority of the tiny minority who are actually aware of her existence, most of whom post on here.

A serious point: is it really conceivable, in the kind of society we are stuck with, that some bright(ish) private school/graduate types won't occasionally try to carve out themselves nice careers in pseudo-radical journalism and the like?

Who was the LP of previous generations? Of the 60s? Of the 30s? Of the C19th....

Did they even exist in the past?
Kevin Myers.

There must have been swarms of the fuckers in 1968. Warning: ambitious careerists may now be disguised as “progressives” and that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom