Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah I get the context, just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't get it. You can't make me agree with you, or stop me from thinking what you posted was a offensive load of shit, and this wriggling around the semantics of it isn't getting you off the hook either. Learn from Articul8 and quit while you're ahead.

Anyway I'm gonna leave it there, my postings in this thread are already a cautionary tale about not posting when you're "tired and emotional" and I've said everything I wanted to say.
Well have a gold star for being such a sensitive soul.

Die Welt article.
The slim volume, published as a "pamphlet" by Hamburg's Nautilus Publishing, comes not from an over 60 frustrated feminist, but from the attractive 26-year-old British journalist, activist and blogger Laurie Penny.
Bit sexist. But it's an otherwise totally positive piece so Laura approves.

Die Welt article.

Bit sexist. But it's an otherwise totally positive piece so Laura approves.

Die Welt has always been the highbrow sexism version of Das Bild's lowbrow sexism.

thumbDi_Demonstranten%20pluendern%20am%2013April%201968_APHaertel.jpg

Copies of Die Welt being destroyed, 1969, FDR.

Yep, but they're a little bit communism now.

Does it make up for the Axel Springer group boycotting Die Linke? Or does it make Laura an anti-communist scab.

Yep, but they're a little bit communism now.

Does it make up for the Axel Springer group boycotting Die Linke? Or does it make Laura an anti-communist scab.

The Springer press do more than 'boycott' they regularly accuse members of Die Linke of being Stasi spies, informers and agents, with zero evidence.

The Springer press do more than 'boycott' they regularly accuse members of Die Linke of being Stasi spies, informers and agents, with zero evidence.
Funny enough, a few days ago I asked people I know in Die Linke to pass the word and steer clear of Laura if she came near them or anyone else.

Funny enough, a few days ago I asked people I know in Die Linke to pass the word and steer clear of Laura if she came near them or anyone else.

That's probably the wisest thing for everyone, although the Germans look like they are better at it than we are. She made up quotes about the burlesque people so doing it to others is likely.

"Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed 20 Oct
Dear journalists who have, by duplicity and cheating, made it harder for others to access and write about queer and radical spaces: SNARL."

Ironic considering the continuing saga of "outing" in the German media on that very subject. :)

That's probably the wisest thing for everyone, although the Germans look like they are better at it than we are. She made up quotes about the burlesque people so doing it to others is likely.

Dear journalists who have, by duplicity and cheating, made it harder for others to access and write about queer and radical spaces: SNARL."
Didn't see that. Very interesting. Sounds like they did their homework.

This is intriguing. It'd be nice if she expanded but she's daft to mention it in the first place.

Yes, it is very hard for Laura to write about "write about queer and radical spaces". Very hard indeed.

:confused: I think a lot of people have sussed she makes up quotes and it wasn't the sub-editor's fault, so even people from that scene don't want her.

:confused: I think a lot of people have sussed she makes up quotes and it wasn't the sub-editor's fault, so even people from that scene don't want her.
I meant more that even without that access she can still write about them and get it published - would love to hear who told her to get lost.

(Will reply to PMs when i get home later today, phone doesn't really show me them properly).

i heard a rumour she was made less than welcome at the really free school student squat, largely because of her duplicity and cheating

i heard a rumour she was made less than welcome at the really free school student squat, largely because of her duplicity and cheating

I heard someone telling me she was at the Anarchist Bookfair last year, but if they saw her this year they ask her some questions.

“Anyone can write, but to write well and often and for pay can be a hard and lonely job, because to do it honestly requires, at least at the beginning, a certain amount of boring self-analysis whereby professional and existential crisis feed exhaustingly off one another. To be an honest political writer or journalist today is constantly to negotiate and re-negotiate the complicated relationship between conviction and orthodoxy, between critical reportage and activism-as-journalism. That relationship never been more fraught than it is now, because the line between activism and media production has become smudged to the point of irrelevance. Anyone with a camera-phone that does the internet can report from a protest; anyone with a blog can write commentary about mortgage foreclosure and financial feudalism. But there’s a line in the sand, and you cross it when you start making most of your living writing about politics. Because once you have decided that you will always tell the truth you see in front of you, no matter what your bosses say, you have to decide what’s more important: your career or your conscience.” (Laurie Penny, essay on journalism in April 2012)

Now that she is back at the New Statesman, can we expect an expose of its anti-NUJ activities?

Also does she identify as an anarchist still? This picture from 2011 shows her with a red and black bade on her hat:

tumblr_maf5aymB551rvu1fco1_500.jpg

Some excerpts from the new book of journalism on Greece, Discordia.

“We are the media: put that on your slogan t-shirt and sweat into it. The disintegration of neoliberal capitalism as a workable model for democratic statecraft is coinciding with the collapse of print-and-television-model corporate media like two drunks falling down together in the street, giggling and swearing and blaming one another for the inevitable bloody pavement-dive. As the Arab Spring uprisings and the European riots and city occupations swept the Northern Hemisphere in 2011, commentators scrambled to blame Facebook, Twitter and Blackberry Messenger for the chaos, forgetting that civil unrest tends to owe more to social breakdown than social media.”

“In Athens, there are tourist bars, and there are bars where local people actually drink. Cantina Social is the latter, set back from the street down a narrow alley guarded by two sozzled old men in vests and a beast that can only be described as a dog because it is too big to be a wolf and too obviously carnivorous to be a horse.”

Molly Crabapple is fairly absurd: “Never have I seen a stripper without thinking she was a philosopher queen.” (Molly Crabapple)
With a very sinister take on sex work: “A woman’s beauty is supposed to be her grand project and constant insecurity. We’re meant to shellac our lips with five different glosses, but always think we’re fat. Beauty is Zeno’s paradox. We should endlessly strive for it, but it’s not socially acceptable to admit we’re there. We can’t perceive it in ourselves. It belongs to the guy screaming “nice tits.” Saying “I’m beautiful,” let alone charging for it, breaks the rules.”

Molly Crabapple is fairly absurd: “Never have I seen a stripper without thinking she was a philosopher queen.” (Molly Crabapple)
With a very sinister take on sex work: “A woman’s beauty is supposed to be her grand project and constant insecurity. We’re meant to shellac our lips with five different glosses, but always think we’re fat. Beauty is Zeno’s paradox. We should endlessly strive for it, but it’s not socially acceptable to admit we’re there. We can’t perceive it in ourselves. It belongs to the guy screaming “nice tits.” Saying “I’m beautiful,” let alone charging for it, breaks the rules.”

Did she script the Brad Pitt advert?

Laurie Penny April 2012 said:
“To be an honest political writer or journalist today is constantly to negotiate and re-negotiate the complicated relationship between conviction and orthodoxy, between critical reportage and activism-as-journalism. That relationship never been more fraught than it is now, because the line between activism and media production has become smudged to the point of irrelevance.But there’s a line in the sand, and you cross it when you start making most of your living writing about politics. Because once you have decided that you will always tell the truth you see in front of you, no matter what your bosses say, you have to decide what’s more important: your career or your conscience.” (Laurie Penny, essay on journalism in April 2012)

Laurie Penny on 18th Sept 2012 at Occupy demo said:
That's it. Sorry, guys, but I'm not going back out there today. Really don't want to be arrested and deported just for journalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom