Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
articul8 said:
R

Oh ffs where have I suggested women shouldn't write about sex?

No one said that you did. They suggested that you offered her writing asex column as a justification for why she couldn't make you cum and why you felt this is important.

...Actually you might need more assistance than that

13_12_38_web.jpg

If all the comments about Maggie were taken ad comments on women or the elderly in general you'd all be in the dock.

I don't necessarily think he's sexist as a label, like he is a SEXIST. But that was a fucking sexist comment to make, so he should be pulled up on it not find excuses for it. People do sexist, racist, whateverist shit sometimes - doesn't make them a WHATEVER? But you should fucking pull them up on it then move on.

Yeah but I don't think that comment in isolation is sexist, anymore than a comment on Gideon's looks would mean someone judged him as a man by his looks rather than his politics.

Did someone order a taxi in the name of Dogger Bank? There's a pissed off cabbie in reception who's half-convinced someone's taking the piss."Fucking shipping forecast" this, "piss-taking wankers" that. Not a happy chappy.

Yeah but I don't think that comment in isolation is sexist, anymore than a comment on Gideon's looks would mean someone judged him as a man by his looks rather than his politics.

When Gideon has written a sex advice column and someone then comes along and says 'him? Fuck's sake what a turn-off' then you might have the beginnings of an argument. But only after men have been belittled into sex objects and whether they are 'acceptable' as the final argument-closer for hundreds of years

No one said that you did. They suggested that you offered her writing asex column as a justification for why she couldn't make you cum and why you felt this is important.
I was suggesting that someone whose smug attitude and shit politics were deeply unattractive to me was not best placed to write seductively about sex. Is this so wrong? Really?

I was suggesting that someone whose smug attitude and shit politics were deeply unattractive to me was not best placed to write seductively about sex. Is this so wrong? Really?

Yes, yes it is. Glad we've cleared that up for you.

articul8 said:
If all the comments about Maggie were taken ad comments on women or the elderly in general you'd all be in the dock.

Have you seen many comments suggesting that she couldn't make you cum due to her face and that saying shit like that is OK as she did some sex shit?

articul8 said:

Seductively. Partridge.

I'm checking my privilege right now.

on a side note, I was saying to frogz that this privilege rhetoric wasn't unfamiliar for some reason.Onna bit of thinking the weather underground and others on the american new left came to mind, and they used to bang on about 'white skin privilege'.

which is a different thing. Or maybe related.

anyway.

This is an interesting defense in that it is no defense at all. Just because other people may behave like nasty pieces of shit (and I am not saying that I agree with you about the other posters on this thread) does not mean it is Ok for you to be a nasty piece of shit. What it does suggested is that you may now accept your comment was wrong but haven't got enough spine to say so. Or maybe I am giving you too much credit and you are just trying to weasel your way out with any excuse you can come up with

When Gideon has written a sex advice column and someone then comes along and says 'him? Fuck's sake what a turn-off' then you might have the beginnings of an argument. But only after men have been belittled into sex objects and whether they are 'acceptable' as the final argument-closer for hundreds of years

I have acknowledged that in my first response. It still doesn't make articul8's comment evidence of sexism in itself.
Anyway the face she made rather than the face she has is disgustingly smug.

I think it was the face she was making more than her face per se.

And no I don't think it's necessarily sexist to comment on her face, you would have to show a pattern of consistently judging women on their looks over their politics/actions etc

Is it a sign of my inner patriarchal oppressor tendencies that every time I see a picture of her, I marvel at what a smug, punchable face she has?

Oh? Ok...so it'd be fine to shag a known neo-nazi then? Think I need a lesson in urbanite sexual ethics
Ok your trolling yeah? No one could actually have the thought process that result in writing these words and meaning them.

You've made several outright unacceptable remarks all over this thread, and haven't apologised for a single one. I thought you would have apologised over an hour later. This above you've written is (again) sexist nonsense. Just so it's crystal-clear to you. No woman writing a sex column is under any obligation to be sexy to anyone at all, neither her editor nor including her readers. Sex columns do not have to be written seductively or by sexist-ly characterised 'sexy' female journalists. Only sex columns in outright sexist publications like GQ or FHM endorse that demeaning idea.
You are condemning the editor at the time (Simon Kellner or Andrew Marr maybe) for giving the job to a woman whose appearance does not match your desire-to-intercourse.
Your vile attitudes suggest that editors (male ones, in all current broadsheets, as it happens, I wonder why that is with attitudes like yours in the Red Pepper newsroom?) should judge the worthiness of a columnist or sexual affairs on the basis of what the columnist looks like if they are women. You are driving wedges between us.

Did someone order a taxi in the name of Dogger Bank? There's a pissed off cabbie in reception who's half-convinced someone's taking the piss."Fucking shipping forecast" this, "piss-taking wankers" that. Not a happy chappy.
Did you hear the "chicken forecast" earlier on radio 4? Frickin ace :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom