Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

‘March for the Alternative’ - 26th March - London

Targetting the wedding would be a bit pointless tbh. Would it even be a useful day to do anything? Wall2wall media coverage of the wedding.

You still, after everything, appear to believe that a strike means that x, y and z won't get done. That isn't the case. Ancillary staff provide emergency cover just like the doctors and nurses.
Incidentally, if your hospital ward is dirty enough that hard-to-treat infections are taking place, not "cleaning" for 24 hours won't make a perceptible distance, because whatever cleaning techniques are being used are obviously ineffective.

Ancillary staff are the problem. Lack of training or knowledge of hospital procedure, delays, tiredness... these aren't minor things in a hospital. They are killers. Infections aren't spread by dirty hospitals. They are spread by ignorance of patient cases and poor contact hygiene. Both of these are major faults of ancillary staff.

Nobody has suggested that, you strange person.

That's exactly what you are saying when you suggest that temporary staff are every bit as good as regular staff acquainted with their patients.
It's NHS by numbers, bodies in position with little thought of patient care. And that's just in the hospitals.

You say nothing changes, but all you mean is numbers. Standards will drop.

people will suffer... and for what? Because some posters can't be bothered to think of ways to get their point across without needing vital services to also strike?

Will you be calling the doctors who don't wish to leave their patients 'scabs'?

people will suffer... and for what? Because other people can't be bothered to think of ways to get their point acrossnwithout
"Can't be bothered" you seem to have an odd view of how serious hospital staff are about patient care.

Being charitable, let's just say you've got a real worry about your parent(s) and it's affecting your position. So stop making political points that make you sound like you have little or no respect for NHS staff.

They are killers. Infections aren't spread by dirty hospitals. They are spread by ignorance of patient cases and poor contact hygiene. Both of these are major faults of ancillary staff.

Nothing to do with the role of internal marketisation and sub-contracting in hospitals then?

people will suffer... and for what? Because other people can't be bothered to think of ways to get their point across without needing vital services to also strike?

Fucking hell...

p

Pardon the question, but who are you to decide what "we" want?

I made the mistake of assuming, that despite our differences we ultimately want the same thing... an end to the austerity cuts.

Whereas what some people want is to fight about the differences.

"Can't be bothered" you seem to have an odd view of how serious hospital staff are about patient care.

Being charitable, let's just say you've got a real worry about your parent(s) and it's affecting your position. So stop making political points that make you sound like you have little or no respect for NHS staff.

I've got little or no respect for the principle of using temporary staff.

By the way, can't be bothered related to people arguing that the NHS staff should strike regardless of their own thoughts.
Thankfully most staff that I know would not agree with you and find the subject very difficult.

Everything to do with it. That's partly what started this awful mess. What's your point?

The way I read it, you were blaming NHS workers.

Especially with the 'can't be bothered' bit FFS. Those of us who have worked and work in the NHS always put patient care first, but withdrawing our labour is always something that has to be there as an option. And not being 'emotionally blackmailled' with the sort of language you're using kizmet.

I wasn't referring to them......

It certainly looked that way. Can we agree that it is up to NHS workers themselves to decide whether they should strike or not? That they have this right? And that those of us who want patients to be looked after should support NHS workers' action?

got a big post to make later on assorted observations from the day.

One thing I found interesting - the overall feeling I got from the day was that most people viewed it as a bit of a warning shot across the bows of the government. I got the impression (perhaps erroneously) that a lot of the ordinary people on the march so it as the beginning of a fight against the cuts. Perhaps highlighted best by an FBU rep. who i know saying he disliked the violence on the day, not because it was violence per se, but rather he saw it as being 'too soon'. Having said that, I did see some FBU lads laying into the OB ha

You Ok...I was beginning to get worried.

Very encouraged by the numbers of people supportive of the F&M action; I was outside and the road was packed up and down and very positive.

The bits and pieces I've heard subsequently have been more good than bad; i.e. they've mostly seen the direct action as part and parcel of the range of protest.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

p.s. was going to post this as a PM but your box is full.

Seems there were a load of us outside F&M......without ever quite bumping into one another.

Went with the girlfriend, one of her mates and another mate (who does the transpontine blog that a few on here might know). South London feeder which was very good/lively - I took issue with hanging round by the horse (Chris Knight bonkers Bruno) but was outvoted. Peeled off at Trafalgar Square and cut up the backs to Shaftesbury Avenue and Oxford Circus - all a bit lively. ;)

Spent a bit of time dodging round the backs til we came to F&M - have to say my take similar to others in that those on the march (which was still going past at the time) were at worst indifferent and a significant number actively supportive. Funniest moment was standing next to a DS in the crowd who'd been sent round the front to scope out what was going on - "It's not looking good" into the radio.

Narrowly avoided the kettle (the girlfriend and her mate looked respectable enough to just walk through) by jumping the gates into the arcade, though I fucked my leg doing it. Was a bit of a mess with people scrambling over, so stood the other side and braced the gates until it was too on top with OB to stick around any longer. Met up with the others for a beer round the backs, but then had to go through the slips so as to get home and take the dog out.

Great day out.

Good day out all round really, what happens next is key though. Agree with Bone's suggestion that there's a disconnect between some sections that's going to take some serious movement/work to overcome. Haven't really come up with anything more thought through than that for now. (Also good to see TC and Ds, chico etc)

Tried to text you but I couldn't send or recieve messages for hours....

The way I read it, you were blaming NHS workers.

Especially with the 'can't be bothered' bit FFS. Those of us who have worked and work in the NHS always put patient care first, but withdrawing our labour is always something that has to be there as an option. And not being 'emotionally blackmailled' with the sort of language you're using kizmet.

Then you read it wrong.

I've edited it now to make it clear I was talking about the posters I am arguing with to save more 'misunderstandings'.

I had an interesting exchange with a woman cop protecting a smashed up Starbucks. She looked a bit pissed off at people endlessly shoving cameras in her face so I chatted to her a bit and she commented that, "some of these protesters forget that we're facing cuts too...".

It's going to get interesting when those cuts start to really bite.

Then you read it wrong.

Well, despite your edit for clarification, I'm still not entirely sure how we are supposed to read:

people will suffer... and for what? Because some posters can't be bothered to think of ways to get their point across without needing vital services to also strike?

Some posters do work in vital services. Sometimes there is very little or no alternative to withdrawing labour to try and ensure that services are not cut/damaged in the wider context. That way, people really will suffer.

Well my day was all a tad pedestrian..... Took me and a mate, alon with other PCS reps I know, 3 hours to get from Embankment to Trafalgar Square.... By then it'd become obvious that the demo was slowing for somthing.... So we fucked off to the pub....

I had an interesting exchange with a woman cop protecting a smashed up Starbucks. She looked a bit pissed off at people endlessly shoving cameras in her face so I chatted to her a bit and she commented that, "some of these protesters forget that we're facing cuts too...".

"Your job's next! Your job's next!" :)

Too early to tell. Got to think of this as the beginning, not the end though. The government will be "ok, you've had a march, lets see if we can ignore it". Need to keep the pressure on.

The TUC march none at all what did you expect, it's state run thing and the Labour Party don't listen to them for years now anyhow.

The feeder marches well shut down business for the day and brought attention to those who are not paying their taxes despite the Daily Hate Sky Corp spin.

So in all a good thing. :)

Thanks for replies.

From where I'm standing it seems like the media have got the apathetic majority completely anaesthetised, and those who give a shit seem to be mostly in disarray -some grounds for hope is welcome.

Back
Top Bottom