Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

‘March for the Alternative’ - 26th March - London

Bollocks, ive booked the virgin media man to come on saturday.......

I could cancel it, but will going result in kettling and me potentially having to shit in a plastic bag? I dont really like shitting in plastic bags tbh.

I could cancel it, but will going result in kettling and me potentially having to shit in a plastic bag? I dont really like shitting in plastic bags tbh.

IME, saturday Demos are less kettly, and more "let the people march" kind of affiars. We can all go expecting the worse (and to be prepared for that, is a good thing) but I reckon this'll be a peaceful protest :)

I think if you stay on the march route, go to hyde park and listen either to the speakers on the TUC rally or the IWW alternative rally and then go home you won't get kettled - too big, too many families..
If you deviate from the route, stay for the night, run around london causing trouble etc. then you might get kettled..
unlike the student marches from last year, I think that if you can't afford to get kettled you'll be able to avoid it.

I think it becomes increasingly obvious which feeder march will attract the most vigorous policing and thus be the one most at risk of an attempt to kettle the people. :)

Ah, im a bit out of touch tbh, last one I went to was in 2001 (i think bush was visiting), got pushed over and cracked round the head by a policeman i took a photo of.......

Kinda put me off tbh, but I might make a comeback for this.

stay way from the edges if you want to remain baton strike free. And as mentioned, keep in the main march, and you should remain kettle free too.

Never live on a boat is my advice.

Ah, im a bit out of touch tbh, last one I went to was in 2001 (i think bush was visiting), got pushed over and cracked round the head by a policeman i took a photo of.......

Kinda put me off tbh, but I might make a comeback for this.

Yeah, me too. Last time I went on a serious demo was 2001, although I didn't get cracked round the head.

stay way from the edges if you want to remain baton strike free. And as mentioned, keep in the main march, and you should remain kettle free too.

The main problems with the main march will be/include:
  • Being trapped on the Embankment for three hours plus (without toilets and access to water etc) before the main march finally leaves.
  • Finding the rally at hyde park finished by the time all the main march arrives.
  • Missing your coach or other time specific travel as the transport networks will be overloaded with massive delays as a consequence.
  • Being subject to overly assertive/aggressive stewarding. The TUC have arranged for thousands of stewards who are instructed to report all trouble makers to their Chief Steward who will be in constant contact with the police

I think the worst case scenario will be arriving at Hyde park in good time to hear Brendan Barber and his cohorts exhort the massed crowds to go home in an orderly fashion and await the next time they can vote New labour and "make a difference".

Police turn to untried tactics as 100,000 plan march on cuts
Independent

TUC organisers plan to provide up to 2,500 stewards along the route, including up to 350 senior stewards who will act as negotiators. They will also work with police commanders, who will tackle any more serious incidents of violence

Has this come up in the thread before? These guys sound like goons to me, are they private security or TUC snitches

and the 'Containment Manager' is...

WomanCop_415.jpg

'Containment manager': Lynne Owens will monitor the protest for signs of trouble

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...owd-control-tactics-have-not-been-trialled.do

serious question: if i take a motorcycle helmet and have it caribeena-ed onto my rucksack am i just gonna get chucked in a van without actually commiting a crime?

serious question: if i take a motorcycle helmet and have it caribeena-ed onto my rucksack am i just gonna get chucked in a van without actually commiting a crime?
A lot of photographers carry bike helmets. I might have to bring one along this time.

score, TU coach sorted. tubeing from wembley to the march- any idea on how much tube money I need londoners?

Back
Top Bottom