Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

‘March for the Alternative’ - 26th March - London

And if one more copper came and joined the mob
There would be one less copper to punch me in the gob

We paid for your hats and Two Hats are the front runners though.

they're not going to join us. don't know why you keep on about it. who wants 'em even if they did?

It's a chant, one of your lots as it happens!

Although to be all po-faced for a minute, at some point - not now, admittedly, but at some point - we will need them. Or some of them, or at least a divided them.

Interesting piece about possible new kettling tactics that could be used on Saturday.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/171088.html

Separately, I am a bit behind the curve and maybe this has come up already, but the only political party speaker lined up is E Milliband, not sure if he is even marching. What kind of 'alternatives' do the TUC want us to march for? - their favoured phoney left war criminals who dont even have the balls to say which massive cuts they would make? The TUC represent stasis. Labour think they only have to wait around with their fingers up their arse for us all to come running to them. We need the non-co opted, non controlled opposition aspects of Saturday to be as large as possible.

is ed miliband really speaking? that's bonkers. he's going to have to come over all aaron porter in the news in the evening after the half-bricks start flying, and end up being (more) hated by both sides.

Bollocks. Didn't want to get a TU coach as they leave Wembly at 5pm, and the train fare will be too expensive. :(

Bollocks. Didn't want to get a TU coach as they leave Wembly at 5pm, and the train fare will be too expensive. :(

I suspect that one of the themes of next weeks threads will be the travel chaos caused by the TUC's ridiculous arrangements for out of town coaches.

I suspect that one of the themes of next weeks threads will be the travel chaos caused by the TUC's ridiculous arrangements for out of town coaches.

I should have really sorted out a train or megabus ticket weeks ago.

I should have really sorted out a train or megabus ticket weeks ago.

yeah, it'll all be your fault :p

the huge CND rallies of the 80s, and the even bigger 2003 megademo didn't consign people to Wembley or Stratford, did they? Perhaps because the organisers wanted them to come back in future. I'm sorry people but to my eye you've been set up for a nightmare day of long, long tube journeys in chaotic and stressful conditions. I don't know how the modern constraints the TUC has been operating under (eg LEZ restrictions) have affected the transport arrangements but surely people deserve better when undertaking long coach journeys?

When I was photographing one of the earlier student marches, there was some use of this one.
May be useful to know ...

--c&p-- from another article
4. Section 50 Police Reform Act 2002

A recent development in police attempts to gain activist’s details is the use of Section 50 of the Police Reform Act 2002. This makes it an offence to refuse to give your name and address to a police officer, where the officer reasonably suspects that you have engaged in “anti-social behaviour”. “Anti-social behaviour” is defined as behaviour that has caused harassment, alarm or distress to other people, so it’s not difficult for the police to say that they suspect this in protest situations. Section 50 carries no specific power of arrest, but if you refuse to give your name and address, then the police can say that they suspect you of committing a non-arrestable offence and Section 25 PACE applies – see Sections 2 and 3 above.

The use by the police of this power will at some stage be challenged in court, as it was not designed to deal with political protest but with anti-social behaviour, for example by youths on housing estates. But certain police forces - notably Staffordshire – are currently using the power, and you should be aware that they could arrest you if you refuse to give details when required under this Section. There is no requirement under Section 50 to give your date of birth.

--end c&p --

Wembley is in zone 4, so a ticket into town is 5 quid each way without an oyster card, and 7.80 for a travelcard without an oyster card

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Transport/London/Underground.htm#TicketPrices2011

does a travelcard mean I can make unlimited journes within 1-4 all day? I'd likely only use it to and from wembley mind...

e2a

ur link said:
If you have a period travelcard you can travel as often as you wish within the zones covered, but you still need to put your card on the reader at the start and end of all journey

so yes then :cool:

London Tube planned work this weekend....

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/livetravelnews/planned-works/calendar/default.aspx

tfl said:
Part closure - Central

Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Marble Arch and West Ruislip/Ealing Broadway. Replacement buses operate.

Part closure - Circle

Saturday 26 March, no service between Hammersmith and Edgware Road. A circular service will operate.

Part closure - District

Saturday 26 March, no service between Tower Hill and Upminster. Replacement buses operate.

Part closure - Hammersmith & City

Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Liverpool Street and Barking. Trains will start/end at Aldgate. Replacement buses operate

Part closure - Metropolitan

Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Moorgate and Aldgate.

does a travelcard mean I can make unlimited journes within 1-4 all day? I'd likely only use it to and from wembley mind...

e2a

so yes then :cool:

yeah, so if you miss the start of the march, you can hop off to another station and rejoin it. (like I've done on a few occasions) Picadilly is a good place to jump in if you're well late btw. (not too far from Hyde Park ect)

Back
Top Bottom