Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you be swearing allegiance to the king?

I'll not be swearing allegiance to him. Unless he starts given large amounts of money to people and charities that need it all while damning the government I'm not interested in him.

I'll watch the coronation out of interest in the history of the event, but that's all.

The dog will be getting the longest fucking walk ever.

I’d love to be able to ask all those newspaper editors, politicians, and religious leaders urging us to swear allegiance to the new King how do they exactly define allegiance, and whether there is any scenario in their minds where it might be acceptable to go against his wishes or do something that might be harmful to his status quo.

I mean, if I worked at Buckingham Palace and happened to spot the new King of England punching an aide in anger, or kissing what looked to almost certainly be a minor, and he saw me looking at him and asked me to never tell a soul as it would destroy him, would I be a treacherous scumbag if I didn’t comply and went public? I wish archbishop Welby would offer some moral guidance on the matter.

I’d love to be able to ask all those newspaper editors, politicians, and religious leaders urging us to swear allegiance to the new King how do they exactly define allegiance, and whether there is any scenario in their minds where it might be acceptable to go against his wishes or do something that might be harmful to his status quo.

I mean, if I worked at Buckingham Palace and happened to spot the new King of England punching an aide in anger, or kissing what looked to almost certainly be a minor, and he saw me looking at him and asked me to never tell a soul as it would destroy him, would I be a treacherous scumbag if I didn’t comply and went public? I wish archbishop Welby would offer some moral guidance on the matter.

You've put way too much thought into this, I think yelling Fuck Off at the moment in question is all that's needed.

(well other than the revolution and all)

Unless you did see him punching an aide or kissing a minor in which case go straight to - well the press I guess, bit difficult given they (the royals) are at the top of the triangle so to speak.

Which is at least one of many reasons why we need to get rid.

A number of religions have addressed both the issue of people in positions of authority abusing minors and keeping quiet about it. The degree to which there is agreement about their approach... Literally that would be an ecumenical matter

Originally, I believe, this thread was constructed to enable some predictable (but satisfying nevertheless) royal bashing. Your thoughtful post has raised the conceptual level. I hope you´re proud of yourself! :thumbs:

the papers today are a sight - what a country

_129550825_sundaypeople-nc.png.webp

_129550822_express-nc.png.webp

_129550828_thetimes-nc.png.webp

Underlining ALL lolz

_129550829_dailymail-nc.png.webp

_129550824_telegraph-nc.png.webp
An alternative chant:

still amazed they have not said that everyone should be out on the street making the proclamation

so your neighbours can judge you if you don't participate

could be like the COVID clap thingy all over again

Quakers aren't supposed to go swearing oaths willy-nilly, so much for multifaith inclusive Charlie.

I don't sweat allegiance to anyone. That's for fascist states not so called "Democracies"
It’s an ethically objectionable proposition, anyway. People should be loyal and supporting to loved ones or anyone who deserves it, and that should come naturally and without a public statement commitment to do so. And at the same time, unconditional allegiance to someone, or to someone’s country, army or rulers, would be unacceptable in any circumstances whereby the person or institution you are expected to swear allegiance to are committing reprehensible acts.

Fuck all this ‘my country right or wrong’ bullshit mentality, which is what this pledge of allegiance smells of to me.

Back
Top Bottom